Help!

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by Mrsg2b2011, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011

Ahh thanks guys!!! Iprincess how good are you? £500 for your flooring thats fab!!! Will defo be taking little one with me. Hoping that he just terrorises the place so they give us what we want just to get us out of there!! :) xxx
    Popple I may take you up on that offer! Spoke to a venue today & got a price of just over £6k for venue food, drinks & evening buffett which isn't bad. About £600 more than the original place (not that they know that). Going to view it after work Sunday but it will be the duty manager showing us around not the wedding co-ordinator so will ned to go back to talk money. Have told them my situation though so hopefully they will feel sorry for me. If I can get it down to £5500 i will be happier. It looks really nice online though. Its stoke by nayland. Maybe I could be cheeky & get you to think of some questions & tactics I could use when it comes to talking final monies? :) xxx

Spoke to the lady this morning who all this happened to. She is really lovely & I am so glad everything worked out for her. She threatened the venue with the local rag & got her deposit back so I will try the same AND will tell them I will be letting the local papers in my county know too so everyone in Herts & Essex will know what a sham it is!!! Fingers crossed. Not going there yet though as there is another lady going on Saturday to get her money back too & her dad is a solicitor so going to see how she gets on & if there is a loop hole that we could use maybe. Also don't want them to know on the phone why we are going down otherwise they have time to get their stories straight & get prepared so don't want to fore warn them!
    Anyway thank you all again for your help no doubt I will be on here picking your brains loads for haggling ideas!!! :Dxxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jul 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Mrsg2b2011

poppleminster

Right, I have called a friend who is an events manager for a 4* hotel and she says they first quote you full rack price. If you say you can't afford that they will hold out for a bit then offer a discount if you don't go away but the best way to get it is to tell them directly how much you want to pay and ask them if they can do it for that price, she suggests £1000 less than they are charging you at least. They may say yes right or away or play hard and hold out for longer as they know you want your day to be special and the chances are you'll pay for it. Keep being firm and don't be afraid to walk away. You can then leave back up your offer by email / letter and say if you don't hear back within 7 days then you'll have to book elewhere but really wanted it to be with them if you could afford it.

I hope that helps! If you're worried about it, I really am happy to call them and beg in a polite fashion :)

poppleminster, Jul 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011

Thanks hun you are a star!!!! Will try & hold my ground. If I get chicken I will be begging you to do it for me :) . You can pretend to be my wedding planner!!! :) xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jul 26, 2010
  4. Mrsg2b2011

poppleminster

yay :)

I hope all goes well and they just match your old price at least. I did have an idea about the old venue. If they don't return your deposit then you can tell them a whole load of mad internet bride friends will turn up in wedding dresses and picket signs protesting against their unfairness to a bride in distress. Can you imagine the publicity? I'd never have the balls to do it but hilarious thought!

poppleminster, Jul 26, 2010
  5. Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011

LOL!!! I will tell them that!! Haha Thats fabe. I will tell them I am going to the papers & a sure way to get noticed is having several brides all in wedding dresses standing outside!!! Mmm think thats a great idea! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jul 26, 2010
  6. Mrsg2b2011

MrsC2Be

I'll come!!! I love being rebellious!!!

MrsC2Be, Jul 26, 2010
  7. Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011

Yay!! Love it! Can you imagine if they see us coming? They will prob throw the money at us & run!! :). Feel most nervous about going & getting my money back. Silly I know but I am not an argumenatative person but can stand my ground when I need too. Think I just know £750 is such a lot to lose & it just means that is off our budget for another venue straight away. Hopefully as I say we can use that sob story at the next place & they will want to be the venue that saved the day!! Fingers crossed! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jul 27, 2010
  8. Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011

Quick update, on that thread on 'the other forum' ANOTHER bride has said she is having her wedding there in october!! So she is stressing bless her so me & Mark are going to go down there Friday afternoon and just turn up, hoping the element of surprise will go in our favour. Told Mark I couldn't wait any longer otherwise all these brides will be going in and by the time we get there they will have their story straight & be preparred for us to fight. Just wished we had paid on a credit card as just looked it up & we would have been covered by them. We don't actually have one at the moment but I think I might get one purly to use for wedding deposits & pay straight away to cover us for situations like this!!! More secure then paying by cash or cheque it would seem. :D xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jul 28, 2010
  9. Mrsg2b2011

MrsC2Be

Good shout on the credit card thing - I've suggested we do that. We'll already have the money in our savings to pay for things, but if we do it via credit card then that covers purchases too. We don't have one either, so reckon we will get one and just use savings to pay it off in full each month.

Good luck on Friday, just be firm with them, lay out what you expect and why and don't back down :D I hope it all gets sorted and you get your deposit back and a satisfactory conclusion. Then you can get on and find somewhere new and beautiful to get married. :D xxxx

MrsC2Be, Jul 28, 2010
  10. Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011

Yes you are the same as us. Neother of us have credit cards & are using savings to pay for the wedding. Think it is wise to get one & as you say pay it off out the savings every month. Its no different is it really as they don't ususaly charge interest for the 1st year anyway. If it stops problems like this it is worth it!!! Just so wished we had one & paid on it now. :D. Mark hates credit cards but after this he agrees with me about getting one! Never thought I would see the day :lol:. Just spoke to consumer direct basically the lady said to go through the t&c's with a fine tooth comb & see if I can get them for breaking the contract but if nit it is us breaking it & potentially we may not get the deposit back or worse make us pay more!!!???!! WTF??? So not going to happen. Can feel my blood pressure going through the roof!!! :D Have seen some lovely venues online so just need to arrange to view them now & hopefully as I say I can play the poor bride card & get some sort of discount!! Fingers crossed xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jul 28, 2010
  11. Mrsg2b2011

MrsBoucher2B2012

I am so glad we have a credit card now. Gareth used it when ordering my dress just in case, and paid it off straight away with savings.

Hopefully someone will be able to come to the rescue, venue love to be the one that saved the day.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Jul 28, 2010
  12. Mrsg2b2011

Helen

I think the lady at consumer direct you spoke with is right, you need to prove they broke the contract with you, if they haven't and you are the ones breaking the contract you could have to pay them a percentage and lose your deposit.

If they have done nothing wrong towards you then even if they have broken their contract with other brides doesn't mean they will do the same with you and from a legal point of view you have to wait until they do break their contract with you for you to be able to claim your deposit back.

The venues have to safeguard themselves against people who change their minds/split up etc so this is why they often have it in their contract that should you change your mind they can still claim more money from you.

From reading your post I am unsure if they have actually broken their contract with you?

The venue might refund your deposit to avoid some bad publicity but if they are already in financial trouble then they may not.

You are in a very difficult situation, if you are the ones to break the contract then I wouldn't have thought they will give you any money back. The threat that they might be taken over or rebranded or close I don't think actually breaks their contract, and depending on the terms of the contract even a takeover or rebrand might not constitute breaking the contract. I think you need someone with a bit of legal knowledge to go through this with you otherwise you could end up worse off. Consumer direct or citizens advice or even trading standards may be able to help you. I hope you can get something sorted that you are happy with.

You could find that they pull out all the stops for you and your wedding to make it a sucess so they can get some good publicity from it all, I don't know if you would be willing to risk it or not. If you did risk going with them and at the last minute something awful happened your wedding insurance should be able to find you a last minute alternative. One of my friends was only a week before her wedding when her venue burnt down. Her wedding insurance got her the nearest free venue on that date (and it was more than 4 times the price) and they still had a fabulous day at a venue they thought they couldn't afford! So disasters can turn out ok in the end!

Don't panic xxx

Helen, Jul 28, 2010
  13. Mrsg2b2011

Helen

PS just a note on credit cards, if you pay off the full balance each month most credit cards don't charge you anything so it is a good way of getting a bit of extra insurance for nothing :D

Helen, Jul 28, 2010
  14. Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011

Yes MrsBoucher cedit cards are good for things like that! Better safe than sorry! xxx

Hi Helen hun, how lucky was your friend!!! I believe everything happens for a reason & this has happened as something better is around the corner.
    I have read through the t&c's & basically as we have 8months to go we will just lose the deposit. If it was 4months or less we would pay a percentage which goes up closer to the wedding date you get. Sorry to say but if I don't get the deposit back then I will just swallow it. There is no way wild horses could drag me to have my wedding there!!! 8 months of stress to the lead up is just so not worth it!!!
    Thing is the other bride who came onto the other forum had heard of rumors they were in money trouble & then stumbled across that thread so its obviously common knowlegde in that area. T
    here are just so many bad reviews too that its dirty breakfast out of date etc etc & I will just be worrying about my guests the whole time. There was another one that had their wedding there that said it was OK but the management didn't have a clue what they were doing so was a stessful day & then when the girl I spoke to put up a bad review on trip advisor a glowing report highlighting all the problems she had said appeared on excatly the same day! Suspect no? Mmm yes so think I will just have to suck it if I lose my deposit but as Dani said venues love to be the ones to save the day so hopefully someone will help us!!! Thanks for the advice though hun xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jul 28, 2010
  15. Mrsg2b2011

MrsC2Be

Yeah, sit down with your contract before you go so that you know what they might throw at you before you get there. Forewarned is forearmed and all that. I've got my fingers crossed for you x

MrsC2Be, Jul 28, 2010
  16. Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011

Exactly!!!:D Just proves cash is useless to pay with in situations like this as it leaves you wide open, but good if you have it to pay off the balances straight away xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jul 28, 2010
  17. Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011

Thanks MrsC. Feel I have nothing to lose but everything to gain by arguing it. Ok I know I could lose £750 but we know thats a possibilty so won't come as a shock if you know what I mean but worth trying me thinks! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jul 28, 2010
  18. Mrsg2b2011

MrsC2Be

Yeah, as long as you know it could come to losing the deposit then I'd definitely argue it. And if you do lose it, try to forget about it, yes it happened, but put it down to experience and one of those things that makes life what it is. Woah, slightly philosophical for this early in the day! :D

MrsC2Be, Jul 28, 2010
  19. Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011

Wow MrsC very philosophical!!! :D I need atleast another 3 mugs of tea before i get to that stage lol!!! I am nervous but just typed out my cancellation letter to them & just put I hope they will give me back the deposit as a goodwill gesture for the stress & hassle caused but hey I can but try! Think I am more nervous now about haggling with a new venue to get them to give us what we want!! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jul 28, 2010
  20. Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011

Right spoke to the CAB & the lady there was lovely. She said to keep polite & bargain with them because as much as I have broken my contract with them they haven't had to spend out for our wedding yet such as food & drink etc so if I am good at bargaining then I might be able to get some or all of it back!! Fingers crossed!!! :D xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jul 28, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question