Help?

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by Keira, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Keira

Keira

Hiya new at all this,
    cant decide wether to get married in a register office then have a big do afterwards or get married later on in the day like 4 oclock
    and just have one meal at say 6 oclock and invite evening guests from half 5???
    whats you opinions need ideas???

thankz

Keira, Nov 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Keira

MrsBrown

Hi

Welcome to the site.

The issue that comes to mind is that evening guests wont be expecting to arrive at 5.30! Plus you are going to end up paying for a meal for all your evening guests as well.

Couple of ideas

If you want a quiet wedding, why not have the register office and a small meal then a bigger party in the evening

A friend of mine got married at 4.30 with only her parents and siblings and then had a buffet style meal and reception with lots of guests at 5.30 which went on into the evening. The issue she did have was that people got upset that they couldnt witness the wedding, and she felt under great pressure to justify why she was doing what she was doing.

Sure other people will have ideas too.

Jayne

MrsBrown, Nov 30, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Keira

Keira

thank you for the ideas great help.

i think thats what i would like to do get married with only family there annd have a big do afterwards and if anyone complains ill just we cant afford everyone to be there so were going for the people that mean so much to us.
    my heads just in a mess ha x

Keira, Nov 30, 2011
    SeptemberBride likes this.
  4. Keira

SeptemberBride

We had the same problems, we only had 30 people come to the registry office, then we had a sit down meal with them which was nice because we could all talk, then evening guests turned up at 7 and we had a buffet a bit later on xx

SeptemberBride, Nov 30, 2011
  5. Keira

Keira

Thats exactly what i want but im worried its going to get to expensive but ill only have about 20 people to the wedding at thats including me and OH best friend.
    I just wish thinks were more simplar plus i know people will curl there noses up when i say im getting married at a registry office.
    But should i really care what other people think im doing it to be with my man for the rest of my life and i dont want a big white wedding just plain and simple!!
    I would still have a wedding dress of course :) .

thank you
    Keira xx

Keira, Nov 30, 2011
  6. Keira

Becky Administrator

Hi Keira, welcome to the forums! :)

It's absolutely fine to get married in a register office! There are some lovely looking buildings which house register offices, do you know what your local one is like? If you really don't fancy it, there are other low budget options out there so never fear ;)

P.S. You have asked the same questions in other forum sections, so to avoid confusion I've moved my reply to this topic and closed the others. Hope that's ok!

Becky, Nov 30, 2011
  7. Keira

iPrincess26

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

It's perfectly acceptable to do what you and your OH want to do on the day (it is your day after all!) We are doing somthing similar, we are getting married at 12:00 and there will only be around 20 guests, having a meal with them after and then starting the evening do around 7 and having bacon butties for that! We have choosen our fave hotel/estate to get married in and that is one of the reasons for such small numbers along with the fact we only want those who mean something to us to be there and we wanted to give the small number we want to celebrate with the best we can on our budget! If you are not keen on the register office then shop around - getting married mid-week is saving us a fortune!

Hope that helps - At the end of the day you should do what the two of you want to do.

iPrincess26, Nov 30, 2011
  8. Keira

Keira

Thank you for the closing don't need to be more confused ha. Well I've made appointment out the local hotel for Monday so can get prices to get married there or just have a evening do there see what they work out as. A think a like the idea of getting married in one place having a meal with the family and then a party afterwards ha. Me and OH have got a really small budget and just want a good remembrance day for us after all it's our own taste eh?
    Thank you again
    Keira xx

Keira, Nov 30, 2011
    Becky likes this.
  9. Keira

SeptemberBride

We

That is exactly what we went through, alot of my husbands older family are very old school so were a bit funny when they found out it was in registry office but at the end of the day, dont plan your day around the guests, dont try to make them happy, its about you and your H2B, noone else. xx

SeptemberBride, Dec 1, 2011
  10. Keira

Becky Administrator

Like you say, it's your day and you can do what you want! :) After all, if it's good enough for Carrie in Sex & The City...! :D

Becky, Dec 1, 2011
  11. Keira

Helen

Don't feel pressured into doing something you don't want to :)

If you are on a tight budget it is always worth a look at your local hotels out of peak season, there is one near us that costs a fortune on a Saturday in August, but the same deal on a Thursday in November or Feb costs a quarter of the summer wedding!

Or you could do what we did, go abroad and invite only a few or none (we had 3 guests)! Then have a reception at home :D

Helen, Dec 2, 2011
  12. Keira

Keira

Loved to get married aboard but h2bs parents can't fly and I like them to be there. I've got appointment on Monday at our local hotel for 2 prices one to get married there and have do and another just for a do and see what's in the budget and if we can only afford the do well get married at a registry office which will be cheaper. Thank you xx

Keira, Dec 2, 2011
  13. Keira

Zoe

Let us know how it goes on Monday Keira. Oh, and loads of brides on here have got good deals by customing the packages with the hotel. Try breaking it all down with them to see if there's anything you could do without, or do yourself, or even inviting 2 or 3 less guests.

Zoe, Dec 3, 2011
  14. Keira

Keira

I'll try my best to understand it all but it all confuses me ha. Well a know I'm already doing me own invites and centre pieces plus I've been pricing up my own chair cover and there not a bad price but guess I'll just after see how much it is for the actual wedding venue a won't be able to sleep on Sunday night thinking bout it x

Keira, Dec 3, 2011
  15. Keira

MrsMay2011

Hi Kiera, got on to this a little late but welcome to the forum!

I can only echo the others in saying that it's absolutely *fine* to be married in a registry office (or anywhere else) as long as YOU and your h2b are happy. It's easy to start worrying too much about what guests with think/want but if you fall in to that trap you end up making too many compromises. Just organise a day that you want, and they will come to it. (And if anyone doesn't just because they don't approve of your venue choices, then...they're clearly idiots!!)

Good luck with the venue, this stage of planning is exciting :) Do you mind my asking whereabouts it is? X

MrsMay2011, Dec 3, 2011
  16. Keira

Keira

No not at all hun ask away ha. I live in Cumbria near the lake district. Just very little options to go for as I want to save money and not put on buses for guests so I'm trying for somewhere in my home town and not out in the sticks. That's what a keep thinking bout what will the guests think but like you say it's mine and h2bs day and that's all that matters and it's the most important thing to me just to become his wife and have the same surname as him and our children. Xx

Keira, Dec 3, 2011
  17. Keira

iPrincess26

Yay for another Cumbrian bride! We are just near Penrith, how about you? :)

iPrincess26, Dec 3, 2011
  18. Keira

Keira

Were in Workington. I've been looking at Gretna green beautiful place and they do packages with flowers cars photos and everything it sounds so much easier then doing it all round here xx

Keira, Dec 4, 2011
  19. Keira

Keira

Well girls went to see my venue today it was really gorgeous and there building a roof terrace for next year to, so guess what I've reserved the date need to put our deposit down and it's booked yey. So wedding for 24 and night do 200 so excited can't wait ha xx

Keira, Dec 5, 2011
  20. Keira

Helen

That is fabulous news! Exciting!!!

Helen, Dec 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question