Help...readings For A 19 Year Old Boy?

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by MrsApplen2be, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MrsApplen2be

MrsApplen2be

I have had no one to do a reading up until today where my 19 year old cousin offered his services were very close like brother and sister so not at all just a random cousin. Just don't know what would make a suitable reading for him. Is soppy love stuff to much for a 19 year old MALE lol and the funny stuff sometimes seems to be read from female perspective so will sound silly when read by a male. Please help. Im a bit crap and have meeting with registrar for final arrangements on thursday.

Look forward to the replies girls xx

MrsApplen2be, Jun 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsApplen2be

poppleminster

I don't think soppy love stuff is too much for a 19 yr old. I'd say he must think it would be love related anyway as it is a wedding and therefore will be expecting something soppy. How lovely that he volunteered. It'll be lovely whatever you choose :D

poppleminster, Jun 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsApplen2be

Ben

Not a girl, but I'm going to reply anyway :D

I think a reading should reflect the person giving it as much as the couple it is for, so not knowing anything about him other than his age, relationship to you and gender it's a bit tricky.

I would say it's very important that people can believe that what he is saying is something he believes and could have said himself. How about something literary? Something written by a man and therefore from a man's perspective as it's a man (or boy as you called him!) giving it.

Couple of examples, both simple, thought-provoking but easy to read.

From 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin':

Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your root was so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. that is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Those that truly love have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two.

Or from 'A Farewell to Arms'

At night, there was the feeling that we had come home, feeling no longer alone, waking in the night to find the other one there, and not gone away; all other things were unreal. We slept when we were tired and if we woke the other one woke too so one was not alone. Often a man wishes to be alone and a woman wishes to be alone too and if they love each other they are jealous of that in each other, but I can truly say we never felt that. We could feel alone when we were together, alone against the others. We were never lonely and never afraid when we were together.

Ben, Jun 22, 2010
  4. MrsApplen2be

May2010bride

Has he suggested anything?

Is he the artsy type? Maybe ask him to come with something, and if you don't like it/he feels too embarressed to read it on the day you could print it in the order of service?
    And then just have him read a nice quotation, like one of the one's Ben suggested.

Good luck! x

May2010bride, Jun 22, 2010
  5. MrsApplen2be

Mrs T2B (Kel)

I like this one .. My brother in law is going to read it.
    We picked him because he has been told he has only months to live after battling the last 3 years with cancer. Him and my sister got married last year in July, and hearing his cancer was actually going to kill him in the end was one of the reasons we decided to get married so quickly .. life is too short, I'm done waiting [​IMG]
    His strength and courage is an inspiration to us both .. truly.

you don't have to be perfect to belong in this place.
    you don't have to have all the answers, or always know the right thing to say.
    you can climb the highest mountain if you want.
    or quietly imagine that you might, someday.
    you can take chances, or take safety nets,
    make miracles or make mistakes.
    you don't have to be composed at all hours to be strong here.
    you don't have to be bold or certain to be brave.
    you don't have to have all the answers here.
    or even know who you want to be.
    just take my hand,
    and rest your heart,
    and stay awhile with me

by Ashley Rice

Mrs T2B (Kel), Jun 22, 2010
  6. MrsApplen2be

poppleminster

oooh I like all three of the above. Kel - that's a lovely story behind you're reading. You must be really proud and you're right, life is too short to keep waiting :D

poppleminster, Jun 22, 2010
  7. MrsApplen2be

MrsMay2011

Kel, thats absolutely beautiful. So sorry to hear about your brother in law, how terribly unfair x

MrsMay2011, Jun 22, 2010
  8. MrsApplen2be

MrsMay2011

Hi

I went to a wedding on Sat where the brides teenage brother read Dr Suess 'Oh! the places you'll go'. I've put a link to it as the whole thing is quite long.

I personally loved it, and it went down a storm, but I think whoever read it would have to have the type of personality to pull it off with aplomb. And if you were having a very formal wedding it would seem out of place I think.

Also the couple on saturday cut out some of the verses (verses 7-10 the way its set out on the linked website).

http://journals.jevon.org/users/jevon/page/places

x

MrsMay2011, Jun 22, 2010
  9. MrsApplen2be

Mrsg2b2011

Wow what an amazing reading!! Your brother in law is so brave what an inspirational man!! xxx

MrsApplen I am sory I don't know of any readings but some of them that people have put on here are brilliant! As alot of people say it depends on how he is normally whether he is out going or a bit of a comedian. Personally I think if he offered then he would be happy to do any reading. How lovely for him to offer aswell! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 23, 2010
  10. MrsApplen2be

MrsApplen2be

Thanks for the replies girls I really like them all. Ben the captain correlli's mandolin one was my first choice back when we first started planning this wedding but ive started to think the words may be too difficult. And sorry I keep calling him a boy suppose at 19 he is a man now but he will always be boy to me. he is a bit of a comedian and certainly not shy hence offering.

I gave notice today and aired my concerns to the registrar and she gave me 2 she thought may be suitable so I think ill print them all off give them to him and let him decide at least then its from the heart xx

MrsApplen2be, Jun 24, 2010
  11. MrsApplen2be

Mrs T2B (Kel)

Thanks ladies .. :)

MrsApplen2B .. there are a couple of funny ones I found about loving each other when you're old, let me see if I can find them ..

Mrs T2B (Kel), Jun 24, 2010
  12. MrsApplen2be

Mrs T2B (Kel)

found them..

"Falling in Love is Like Owning a Dog" by Taylor Mali

First of all, it's a big responsibility,
    especially in a city like D.C.
    So think long and hard before deciding on love.
    On the other hand, love gives you a sense of security:
    when you're walking down the street late at night
    and you have a leash on love
    ain't no one going to mess with you.
    Because crooks and muggers think love is unpredictable.
    Who knows what love could do in its own defense?

On cold winter nights, love is warm.
    It lies between you and lives and breaths
    and makes funny noises.
    Love wakes you up all hours of the night with its needs.
    It needs to be fed so it will grow and stay healthy.

Love doesn't like being left alone for long.
    But come home and love is always happy to see you.
    It may break a few things accidentally in its passion for life,
    but you can never be mad at love for long.

Is love good all the time? No! No!
    Love can be bad. Bad, love, bad! Very bad love.

Love makes messes.
    Love leaves you little surprises here and there.
    Love needs lots of cleaning up after.
    Sometimes you just want to get love fixed.
    Sometimes you want to roll up a piece of newspaper
    and swat love on the nose,
    not so much to cause pain,
    just to let love know Don't you ever do that again!

Sometimes love just wants to go for a nice long walk.
    Because love loves exercise.
    It runs you around the block and leaves you panting.
    It pulls you in several different directions at once,
    or winds around and around you
    until you're all wound up and can't move.

But love makes you meet people wherever you go.
    People who have nothing in common but love
    stop and talk to each other on the street.

Throw things away and love will bring them back,
    again, and again, and again.
    But most of all, love needs love, lots of it.
    And in return, love loves you and never stops

A Lovely Love Story by Edward Monkton

The fierce Dinosaur was trapped inside his cage of ice. Although it was cold he was happy in there. It was, after all, his cage.

Then along came the Lovely Other Dinosaur. The Lovely Other Dinosaur melted the Dinosaur's cage with kind words and loving thoughts.

I like this Dinosaur, thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur. Although he is fierce he is also tender and he is funny. He is also quite clever although I will not tell him this for now.

I like this Lovely Other Dinosaur, thought the Dinosaur. She is beautiful and she is different and she smells so nice. She is also a free spirit which is a quality I much admire in a Dinosaur.

But he can be so distant and so peculiar at times, thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur. He is also overly fond of things. Are all Dinosaurs so overly fond of things?

But her mind skips from here to there so quickly, thought the Dinosaur. She is also uncommonly keen on shopping. Are all Lovely Other Dinosaurs so uncommonly keen on shopping?

I will forgive his peculiarity and his concern for things, thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur. For they are part of what make him a richly charactered individual.

I will forgive her skipping mind and her fondness for shopping, thought the Dinosaur. For she fills our life with beautiful thought and wonderful surprises. Besides, I am not unkeen on shopping either.

Now the Dinosaur and Lovely Other Dinosaur are old. Look at them. Together they stand on the hill telling each other stories and feeling the warmth of the sun on their backs.

And that, my friends, is how it is with love. Let us all be Dinosaurs and Lovely Other Dinosaurs together. For the sun is warm. And the world is a beautiful place.

yes i'll marry you by pam ayres

Yes, I'll marry you, my dear,

And here's the reason why;

So I can push you out of bed

When the baby starts to cry,

And if we hear a knocking

And it's creepy and it's late,

I hand you the torch you see,

And you investigate.

Yes I'll marry you, my dear,

You may not apprehend it,

But when the tumble-drier goes

It's you that has to mend it,

You have to face the neighbour

Should our labrador attack him,

And if a drunkard fondles me

It's you that has to whack him.

Yes, I'll marry you,

You're virile and you're lean,

My house is like a pigsty

You can help to keep it clean.

That sexy little dinner

Which you served by candlelight,

As I do chipolatas,

You can cook it every night!

It's you who has to work the drill
    and put up curtain track,
    And when I've got PMT it's you who gets the flak,

I do see great advantages,

But none of them for you,

And so before you see the light,

I do, I do, I do!

Mrs T2B (Kel), Jun 24, 2010
    Frogbitch likes this.
  13. MrsApplen2be

poppleminster

I have that Edward Monkton book. I'm a big fan of his nonensical stuff, remind me of me :)

Pam Ayres is a classic, her stuff never ages.

I have at hand a poetry book - my house is FULL of books, lots pf them poetry as I am a complete geek.

You could look up: The First Day by Christina Rosetti.

My all time favourite poem that reminds me of Ben and I and our utterly ueless ability to do anything useful when left alone is from Summer With Monika by Roger McGough. I remember when i'd not been with him long and I thought of it and how it's probably how we'd be if we ever did get married! I'm so nerdy about poems, I like atmospheric things that can relate to reality. It's not uitable for the wedding but may make you chuckle:

ten milk bottles standing in the hall
    ten milk bottles up against the wall
    next door neighbour thinks we’re dead
    hasn’t heard a sound, he said
    doesn’t know we’ve been in bed
    the ten whole days since we were wed
    no-one knows and no-one sees
    we lovers doing as we please
    but people stop and point at these
    ten milk bottles a-turning into cheese

ten milk bottles standing day and night
    ten different thicknesses and
    different shades of white
    persistent carol singers without a note to utter
    silent carol singers a-turning into butter

now she’s run out of passion
    and there’s not much left in me
    so maybe we’ll get up and make a cup of tea
    and then people can stop wondering
    what they’re waiting for
    those ten milk bottles a queuing at our door
    those ten milk bottles a queuing at our door.

Roger McGough

poppleminster, Jun 24, 2010
  14. MrsApplen2be

Frogbitch

OMG!!!
    I could so use the dog poem!
    I'm sure Russ would marry our collie instead of me if it were legal.

I've just realised the dog will be celebrating his 2nd birthday in ten minutes!

Frogbitch, Jun 24, 2010
  15. MrsApplen2be

poppleminster

yaaaaaaaaaaaaay happy bithday frogbitch's dog! I have an excuse for another hot choc now :)

poppleminster, Jun 24, 2010
  16. MrsApplen2be

juliak

Happy birthday Frogbitchs' collie dog, an excuse for another glass of wine now!
    FB not so worried about the legality of Russ marrying the dog but.......eeuurgh!

juliak, Jun 25, 2010
  17. MrsApplen2be

Frogbitch

Adric is fast asleep and has no idea!
    This is a very important weekend in our house.
    Adric's birthday on Friday, Russ' on Saturday, (or the basecode of the universe if you're a Doctor Who geek), and football on Sunday!
    I nearly forgot... Top Gear is back!!

Frogbitch, Jun 25, 2010
  18. MrsApplen2be

poppleminster

Dr Who is going to be epic. I am sooooo nervous. I've grown fonder of Matt that I thought I would and it'd be a shame for the world to end just as I get used to the man. As for Amy, she can't be dead. I guess as Rory technically never existed then she could be the same but it's just too sad and River is just too cool to be dead.

poppleminster, Jun 25, 2010
  19. MrsApplen2be

juliak

Ooooh, happy birthday to Russ too hon, what you guys going to do to celebrate? Gosh an excuse for another glass of wine, he he! We're not too worried about Dr Who and Top Gear but Jake loves them (i'm actually getting into Top Gear now but dare not tell Spence, it's not his thing either and he'll take the piss out of me!).
    When you say Adric is asleep and has no idea....is that no idea bout the birthday or no idea about Russ.....?

juliak, Jun 25, 2010
  20. MrsApplen2be

Frogbitch

Considering Karen Gillan is currently filming the Xmas special, I wouldn't worry too much about Amy.:)
    I tried singing Happy Birthday to the dog but he saw it as an excuse to bring me a toy, so I'm off to bed.

Did I mention that Russ and I are getting married on Sylvester McCoy's birthday?

Frogbitch, Jun 25, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question