Help! I Think My Dress Has Been Stolen!

Discussion in 'Wedding Fashion' started by mrst2be, Sep 17, 2010.

1. mrst2be

mrst2be

Help, dont know what to do!

I bought my dream dress second hand ....after a long search on Ebay etc, after trying it on in the shop!.......brand new it would have cost me the best part of £2000!

It was the perfect size for me but being a bride to be, I decided to lose a bit of weight for our wedding in April. I tried the dress on after losing a bit and its now too big! So I hunted for a dressmaker online.....

I found a local one, walking distance in fact! She seemed very nice, experienced, worked from home as they often do, so after visiting my home once to see what needed adjusting on me, I agreed to take her on. She was very reasonably priced and seemed very 'normal'!!

I exchanged a few emails with her and then as my dress' last owner had cut the hanging hoops off, I decided I desperately needed to have some more put on asap. So I called the dressmaker and she happily came and collected it taking it to her home where she said she's attach the hoops.

Well this was weeks ago now and I emailed her to ask her how it was and that there was no rush etc. No reply. So yesterday, I text her, again no reply!! So, I am really starting to panic. The dress still cost me £500 and theres no way I can budget for another one!

Does anyone know what I could do?!! xx

mrst2be, Sep 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. mrst2be

MrsLetts2Be

Thats awful hon, Do you know where she lives? can you go round there?
    if after another week you still havent heard anything i would get a friend of yours to call from another number and find out where she lives and go have it out with her xx

MrsLetts2Be, Sep 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. mrst2be

mrst2be

I have no idea just the general area she lives in (not a good one!). I feel so stupid! I cant imagine she'll tell me where she lives if I manage to get hold of her, but will try and get a friend to call, good idea! It may be shes on holiday or something. my fiance thinks I'm being paranoid...but its MY WEDDING DRESS!!!

Thanks for replying....will just have to pray!

mrst2be, Sep 17, 2010
  4. mrst2be

MrsLetts2Be

Get a friend to call and pretend to be another brife, she might not tell you where she lives but you could arrange for her to come to your friends house and you can be there!
    I'd be worried too hun, its YOUR DRESS xxx

Im sure it will be fine though keep me updated ok xx

MrsLetts2Be, Sep 17, 2010
  5. mrst2be

charrington

Oh my god thats awful! No wonder you are panicking. I know it sounds stupid but do you think she could just be on holiday? although you would think she would have the decency to tell you. I think getting a friend to call is the best option.

xx

charrington, Sep 17, 2010
  6. mrst2be

mrst2be

yes she could be on holiday, I really am panicking. Should I call the police eventually do you think? Tho im not sure what they can do? My other half recently resigned from the police so when he finally agrees with me that im not just being paranoid, maybe he can look into it! What a nightmare! It could onlt happen to me!

mrst2be, Sep 17, 2010
  7. mrst2be

iPrincess26

Well I am going to try and be a sensible voice (although I completely understand why you are so worried and I prob would be too!) It could just be that she is on holiday and if she knew that there is no huge rush for your dress, she didn't think to tell you. I agree with the suggestions above and would get someone else to ring her, If they can get through I would try again yourself and if you still have no answer then ask your friend to arrange to meet her and you be there too.

As you OH used to be in the police you could sound him out as to what to do, I think the best way to do that is to give him an example of the same situation applied to someone else, and stick to the facts - rather than getting them bogged down in emotion. (i am aware that you prob know all this already and really don't want to sound patronising)

Fingers crossed you get hold of her and she has just been on holiday, let us know how you get on.

Big Hugs x

iPrincess26, Sep 17, 2010
  8. mrst2be

poppleminster

Ben and I talked about this and recommend trying another message and the calling from another number trick.

If she's on holiday then that's fine but if you have no replies by the end of two weeks then call the police. They would consider it as theft and can trace the telephone number if you havce a landline for her. Where did you see her advertised?

Good luck! She should have given you a timescale and kept you updated but hopefully she's just on holiday.

xxx

poppleminster, Sep 17, 2010
  9. mrst2be

Becky

Oh no, poor you! I really hope it's just a case of her bring rubbish at replying to texts/emails. It might be that she is behind with her work and hasn't finished it yet, and perhaps doesn't want to get back in touch until she's done.

I like MrsLetts2b's suggestion to ask a friend to invite her round - only as a last resort before calling the police though. Might come across as a bit aggressive otherwise - especially if she does actually have an excuse.

I've got my fingers crossed for you! :wub:

Becky, Sep 17, 2010
  10. mrst2be

ilovepink1984

Oh hun, I don't really have anything to add but just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and hoping that everything turns out ok for you.

Please let us know what happens xxx

ilovepink1984, Sep 17, 2010
  11. mrst2be

Scarlett~lady

I was also going to say she might be on holiday !! try not to worry I'm sure theres a reason she hasnt got back to you, let us know hun xx

Scarlett~lady, Sep 17, 2010
  12. mrst2be

missy03

Awwwwwww i'm really sorry to hear about your situation :wub: i can totally understand why your worried i totally would be too. All i can say is the same as everyone else wait to see if she's not on holiday and if you havent heard anything in a week then do that get your friend to give them a call trick. I have my fingers crossed for you it gets sorted soon, let us know what happens x x

missy03, Sep 18, 2010
  13. mrst2be

mrst2be

:(Ah thanks everyone for your support! Im going to leave it a few more days then email and text/call again. Will keep you posted!
    xx

mrst2be, Sep 19, 2010
  14. mrst2be

mrst2be

Horrah my dressmaker finally replied and apparently has been ill hence not replied! Am going round there for a fitting so all is well! Thanks for everyone's support, I do feel a bit silly now!!

mrst2be, Sep 22, 2010
  15. mrst2be

MrsLetts2Be

Im so happy its all sorted for you phew sign of relief xx

MrsLetts2Be, Sep 22, 2010
  16. mrst2be

iPrincess26

So glad you got it all sorted, don't feel silly, I bet every one of us would have been exactly the same if we were in you position, I know I would.

iPrincess26, Sep 22, 2010
  17. mrst2be

charrington

:DYay!!! i'm so relieved for you! Don't feel silly, you had a right to be worried. At least all is sorted

charrington, Sep 22, 2010
  18. mrst2be

ilovepink1984

Ah, you're not silly, I would have felt the same if I was in your situation. Glad everything's sorted itself out for you, bet its a weight off your mind xxx

ilovepink1984, Sep 22, 2010
  19. mrst2be

juliak

Better to feel silly now (not that you should) than have been blase about it all then realise your dress was nicked, if that makes sense! I'm really, really pleased that it's sorted, the relief must be immense! xxx

juliak, Sep 23, 2010
  20. mrst2be

poppleminster

yaaaay glad things are sorted, let us know how the fitting goes :)

poppleminster, Sep 28, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question