Help ! Confusion on etiquette

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Grace, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Grace

Grace

Hello.
    I have recently been proposed to and got engaged but my mind is now a whirlwind of different scenarios and to be fair I'm so confused and I don't know where to start to think about my wedding which is granted a few years easily off yet but theres no harm in day dreaming and I was wondering if there is any help/advice people can give me on a few different topics before I make too much more of a mess of things lol

1: I don't have a huge number of friends to have as bridesmaids I have one friend that I've had since school who I would like to be involved but I'm not sure what role I've sort of asked her to be a witness/bridesmaid is that the right thing to do? I have also another friend that has offered to help me organise things which I'd like but then am I obliged to have her as a bridesmaid? Also what about hen party? If I invite girls to a hen party then am I obliged to have as bridesmaids I'm soooo confused I just don't want to upset people and be seen to take advantage of kindness.
    2:where do I start with organising a wedding. I haven't been thr typical girly girl dreaming of her wedding day since a child so I feel a bit in the back foot

If anyone can give me some advice I'd appreciate it
    Thank you

Grace, Jan 18, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Grace

Becky

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your recent engagement :)

First things first: where to start. The venue is usually the first thing you want to look in to because it's fundamental to the day and some of the more popular ones book up far in advance. It also helps you decide the type of wedding you want, and once you've picked it then the other decisions are easier. My advice would be to look at a broad range of venues and see what takes your fancy - that's what we did, and I went from thinking I wanted a country manor to booking a lake-side barn!

In terms of bridesmaids, you should do whatever feels right for you. If someone is invited to your hen do that does not mean they need to be a bridesmaid, although the person who organises your hen do is usually the maid of honour (chief bridesmaid). There are other ways to involve people if you want - readings, for example.

When it comes to weddings, I'm a fan of ignoring etiquette! It's your day, and you should do it your way rather than how you think people want you to do it. If you aren't paying for the wedding yourself then you'll probably have to factor in any requests of the person/people helping you out though.

Becky, Jan 19, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question