Guest List Politics

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by poppleminster, Nov 22, 2010.

1. poppleminster

poppleminster

Until now my guest list has been flexible and now my wedding is coming forward over a year then the politics have started.

I have a friend who chose to ask for a 'plus one' on facebook. I replied saying that she can't have one unless the plus one is already on my guest list. I am having a small wedding with 40 people. I am having a vintage bus collect them from a bus stop and take them to our venue and return them later. It's a bit whacky but I like the idea that they pick up the bride on the way and all arrive together. There are a few exceptions to this but we are fine with them - Ben's nan is elderly so will be already at the venue and a relative with children will want to drive herself. Everyone else, no exceptions unless agreed, has to get the bus. Oh and we're not telling them where we are going Other than those on Facebook who know, nobody will know where the venue is.

So. I get a message from the friend wanting the plus one and she's not coming without her very important other half whom i've never met. I was shocked but then thought long and hard and am glad I can now give her place to someone who'll appreciate our whacky ideas. After the ceremony the bus will take people back to their cars at the designated made-up bus stop or onto the reception venue if they desire. It's 3 hours, not like they'd be trapped.

So anyway - guest list. How to survive.

Remember the following.

This is YOUR wedding. The photos will have all the plus one's in them. I say be strong, explain that anyone that doesn't know you may be important to their partner but are not top of the line when planning your wedding. You are paying and you are putting up with the photos so it's perfectly reasonable to only want people you actually know in them.

How to survive. This is the easy bit. You say on the invites to those you don't really want to go: 'We are taking our vows whilst skydiving over the Bermuda Triangle and the reception is bungee jumping at the Grand Canyon followed by a trek of the Arctic in swimwear. We'd love you and your plus one to come along so meet us at (insert map co-ordinates for Bermuda Triangle) at 11am on 1st April 2011. Hope sincerely that you can make it. xxxxxxx'

Whilst you may not win friends and influence people in some circles, you will at least get rid of those who you don't really want to invite. Probably for life ;)

poppleminster, Nov 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. poppleminster

muckypaws

this has cheered me up no end .... go girl ........ PS could you ring my bridesmaid and have a stern word ;)

muckypaws, Nov 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. poppleminster

MrsC2Be

Sorry Popple, but since when was it socially acceptable to ask for a plus one?! That's rude!

MrsC2Be, Nov 22, 2010
  4. poppleminster

Becky Administrator

BRILLIANT!! ;) :D

Becky, Nov 23, 2010
  5. poppleminster

Mrs T2B (Kel)

[​IMG][​IMG]

love it .. I had this problem .. but I'd invited one person .. a husband for example, who couldn't come so the invited wanted to bring some random person .. lol. noooooooooooooo!

to be fair, the 2 people that ended up being 3rd party invitees, were actually invited to the evening do in the end, as they were my friends too.. just didn't want them at the day do and had my day time & evening reserves list to run down first!

Mrs T2B (Kel), Nov 23, 2010
  6. poppleminster

MrsBoucher2B2012

i love it, My mum has already started making 'suggestions' as to who we should and shouldn't invite so i think i will need this when it comes time to the invites

MrsBoucher2B2012, Nov 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question