Gift List Wording

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by Becky, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Becky

Becky Administrator

We're finishing the wording of our invites, and I'm stuck about how to word the gift list.

We haven't bought a house yet and aren't planning on doing so until at least 2012. Our flat is fully furnished and we don't have room to store anything.

For most people coming to the wedding they will be travelling quite far, so the fact that they are coming is the biggest present to us. However, if people really want to buy us something, we will ask for John Lewis gift vouchers so that when we do buy a house we can use them.

The wording I've got is:

"We haven't bought a house yet...
    There sadly isn't room in our flat for any gifts...
    The best gift to us is sharing our day with you. We have therefore not made a list and have not asked for any gifts.
    If you would really like to buy us something, we should be grateful for John Lewis gift vouchers so that when we do buy a house we can furnish it with something beautiful to remind us of our special day."

What do you think?

Becky, Dec 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Becky

Amymel86

You could have that phrase "We'd much prefer your Presence, rather than your Presents" somewhere??? Some people might think that's corny but I think it's quite cute! :)

but I think you have put it very well there! we will be asking for money towards our honeymoon rather than actual presents as we have lived together for 2 years no (will be almost 3 when we tie the knot) so kind of have everything we need! Not sure how we are going to phrase ours but I like the "The best gift to us is sharing our day with you." part you have put there! .......hhhmmm might steal that! :)

Amymel86, Dec 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Becky

MrsBrown

We used the presence not presents idea in our cards. We also asked if people wanted to buy gifts that they all bought 1 item from a dinner service we wanted,,, ermmmmmm someone bought all the plates, someone else the dishes, someone the cups, and 1 other person the side plates!!

We ended up with money and vouchers from other people and 7 bottles of champagne! I think most people actually like having a list, we didnt send for eve do as we didnt expect but most people bought a gift or voucher, it was very kind of people!

MrsBrown, Dec 3, 2010
  4. Becky

Becky Administrator

Thank you so much for your help ladies!

I tried googling for wording, and there were so many people talking about how rude it is to mention gifts on your invites. Really??! People expect to buy presents when they go to a wedding, don't they?! By not including details about what you want just makes life more difficult for guests!! It also probably means you'll end up with 7 toasters or similar. Madness :)

Becky, Dec 4, 2010
  5. Becky

MrsBrown

or 15 photo frames!!! We got lots of photo frames as well as champagne and we did have a list! It would be different if you said here have a wedding list and the cheapest was £100!! asking for vouchers is ok, because they can start at £5, and people who want to get you something else still can!!

MrsBrown, Dec 4, 2010
  6. Becky

Helen

I did a mock up of our invites etc and my mum said she wouldn't put in the phrase about 'your presence is all that is required' as she said people of her generation would think it was rude to not take a gift. So we are just having a line that says 'for those of you who would like to get us a gift our greatest wish would be money to put towards our new life together. Alternatively we would welcome gift vouchers for ......' :)

Helen, Dec 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question