Gift List Poem... I'm Still Not Sure

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by LBJB, Jun 5, 2010.

1. LBJB

LBJB

Hi everyone,

I've been battling with this idea for a while now as I feel incredibly cheeky mentioning gifts to anyone who spending so much money coming to our wedding in Las Vegas.

However, we have had insistence from many people that they will be getting us something so they would like to know what our preferences are. After much persuasion from everyone we have set one up... i just dont know if i'm still ok with it.

I'm someone who would much rather not ask for anything and gratefully receive 10 toasters...

Anyway.. i'll let you read my poem, tell me whether you think it comes across okay or any improvements I can make to make it sound better...

Our special day in Vegas
    is an occasion for everyone
    A chance for you to win some dosh
    and catch a bit of sun.

If you're joining us for the party,
    there are so many things to be done
    So we'd rather you use your money
    to have some Vegas fun.

We would much prefer your presence
    on our special day
    The smiles from friends and family
    Is the best gift of all we say.

However, we've had some suggestions
    That a list of ideas would be nice
    for gifts that we could cherish
    throughout our married life

So we've set up this gift list
    In john Lewis stores for you
    For those of you who would like to
    Buy us something new.

My other concern is that not everyone has asked us what we would like, is it okay to not send them the gift list? and just send it to people we think would like to get us something??

LBJB, Jun 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. LBJB

MrsBoucher2B2012

I like the poem, i think you should give it to all your guest, they shouldnt be offended because you do say:

If you're joining us for the party,
    there are so many things to be done
    So we'd rather you use your money
    to have some Vegas fun.

We would much prefer your presence
    on our special day
    The smiles from friends and family
    Is the best gift of all we say.

So they have the choice so they wont feel guilty if they dont get you anything, plus this way you wont end up with loads of one thing for example toasters.

Hope this helps.

i have a similar dilemma, we already have so much stuff and dont really need anything so we were thinking of doing a poem asking for gifts of money so we can buy new to replace the old as and when needed but im worried people will think we are being rude.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Jun 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. LBJB

Mrsg2b2011

I know what you mean!! We have decided not to do a guest list but altready have had loads of people telling me to stop being so silly!!! Think your poems are both really good & they don't come across as rude at all.
    It is a tricky one but I think in this day & age everyone will get the happy couple a gift of some sort whether asked for or not so I suppose there is no harm in asking to make sure you don't double up. I am the same as you though LBJB I would happily receive 10 toasters gratefully.
    As for sending them to everyone I don't know how do you feel about it? I f I send gift lists in the end I prob won't send to evening guests but think they will still get you something anyway xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 5, 2010
  4. LBJB

LBJB

Thanks both for your replies,

Both myself and h2b have said it would be lovely to have crockery and cutlery from our wedding day that in years to come (like our parents) we can tell our children that they were wedding gifts. I am adamant that we will only put things on that will wear well and are more a keepsake than anything else.

My concerns are because we are getting married abroad and people are spending loads to come to our wedding anyway, which is a present in itself. I guess the confusion is because we have lots of people coming to an english party when we arrive back home who are asking us what we would like. So we are trying to send a generic message but the confusion comes in when we are saying... you are coming to vegas, dont buy us anything... will the people not coming feel like we are saying you arent coming so you must buy us something!!

Oh goodness!!! ha ha... i'm digging myself a big hole!!!

LBJB, Jun 5, 2010
  5. LBJB

Mrsg2b2011

I can see exactly what you are saying. We were planning origianly to get wed in Florida so can totally understand where you are coming from. You seem like such a lovely person & everyone who is coming to celebrate your wedding will be coming because you are so nice & for this reason they will know that you are not demanding a gift of any sort & that you truely don't want anything but if they wish to, which alot of people do, than they can.
    How about doing different poems for vegas guests & party guests?
    Also if you don't feel right putting a list in to the people that haven't asked then don't. However some people don't ask because they expect a list in the invite anyway. Oh god it's so hard! How about thinking about each person individually. Could you sit down with h2b & both sets of parents & see how you feel each person would react individually to a gift list & this way decide who has one or not?
    Sorry not sure if I am helping you at all now or just confusing you :) x

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 6, 2010
  6. LBJB

Mrs T2B (Kel)

HI,

I think, if I received your poem I would understand what you are saying and wouldn't feel pressured to either a) come to Vegas, or :D get you a present if I did.

I reckon it's pretty much spot on.

We have the same issue, and we decided not to have a gift list (been together 9 years) and felt incredibly cheeky asking people for money.
    So we never put a poem or of course a gift list in the invites. We've had a few people asking via email, Facebook, text message etc, what we'd like as a gift and is there a list somewhere, and it's actually been bit embarrassing replying and saying, well no actually we don't want anything, but if you'd like to get us something, or give us money or vouchers for somewhere we will of course be incredibly grateful.

It's your PRESENCE not your PRESENTs we want :) is my parting line to them.

back to your poem though.. well done, and really I think it's perfectly clear :D

Mrs T2B (Kel), Jun 6, 2010
  7. LBJB

vhc

it's a proper minefield, isn't it!

We really do not want any gifts etc from our guests, we have everything household-y that we need (both having lived in our own houses for several years and having enough stuff!). Really, all we need is money for day-to-day living! But apparently the ettiquette is to send thank you letters stating what you spent their money on - I don't know how many people would be happy to hear that their very generous cheque went towards the phone bill! :D

We've put information on our website that we don't want anything at all, but that if they want to help with the wedidng preparations then they should let us know (in actuality, I hate asking people to help with stuff (because i feel like it's putitng people out) , so it's unlikely they'll be given a job... :lol: )
    but we've also put a note on the same page stating that our church is really really in need of funds, so if they want to donate to that, then they'd be most welcome.

It means that we don't have to worry about the guilt of asking people for money, but those people who really just have to give something (even if it's just money) can choose to give it to our church instead.

Not that I'll complain if anyone decides to present us with a cheque! :p

vhc, Jun 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question