Getting On The Property Ladder

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MrsGroves2B, Sep 11, 2013.

1. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Well, one of the things we wanted to do once we were married was get on the property ladder. Ideally we wanted a mortgage first but with losing jobs and lack of a deposit it meant we couldn't.

Well now, I think we're getting to the safe stage of saying we're on the way to getting on the property ladder now!

Anyone who understands the whole buying process (which I don't really), we've had an offer accepted on a lovely 7 year old 2 bedroom apartment (first floor) about half an hour away from where we are now (but easier and closer to get to everywhere we need to get to), we have got our mortgage agreed and in place, signed the deed, the solicitors have got everything back they're waiting for and now sent out the legal documents for us to sign and return (they got posted out to us yesterday afternoon) and once they get them back after we've signed them we can begin talking dates. I know nothing is set in stone and legally bound and definitely going ahead until exchange of contracts but I think they'll set a date for exchange of contracts once they get this pack back that they've just sent out.

Anyone on here know how long roughly things should take now from experience? We are first time buyers and there's no upward chain as the couple in there now are moving with family for a while we think whilst trying to get closer to the lady's family (they have a young girl who's about 16 months old and she wants to go back to work and needs to be close to family for childcare) and its not a repossession.

I'm not saying we're definitely going through until we've exchanged contracts as I don't want to jinx anything, but just a rough idea really.

MrsGroves2B, Sep 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsGroves2B

Becky

For us, I think it was roughly 3 months between our offer being accepted and completion - we were first time buyers and the guy selling was moving into rented accommodation. Our exchange of contracts was only a week before completion which was a bit annoying - usually it's more like 4 weeks I think. Buying a house is such a roller coaster, and the process varies from person to person - however if no issues crop up I would have thought you are not far away from completion.

It's such an exciting time, bet you can't wait! :D

Becky, Sep 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsGroves2B

Helen

Ohh exciting!

When I moved last I made the offer and they accepted the first week of October, we agreed they could stay for Christmas and we would move in first week Jan. However they then messed me about and tried to say they wouldn't move until Easter. I told them they were out in January or no sale and I finally got them out second week of Feb after I had to ring removal companies for them! This was when the property market was a nightmare for sellers so no idea why they were messing me about when I had the choice of so many properties in the same area for the same price. That was with no chain.

On the flip side when I sold I had the estate agent round Wed eve to value, agreed to put it on market also Wed eve. By Friday I had three offers. Whole lot done and I was out within 3 weeks. I moved into rented so I could buy the house above with no chain. Not that it seemed to make a difference on that occasion!

Helen, Sep 11, 2013
  4. MrsGroves2B

Helen

Just to add, I have exchanged contracts on the same day as completion in the past so isn't always a long wait.

Helen, Sep 11, 2013
  5. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

We have now had everything back from the solicitors through the post on Friday, they need checking, signing, witness to sign and posted back. There was a query on there we asked about, which apparently the solicitors have asked the seller about so we're waiting for tomorrow morning for our solicitor to be back who can clarify before signing, want to be 100% sure before we sign. After that we can start talking dates, but as far as I know this is not exchange of contracts, that comes next, but I'm not sure yet. It confuses me and stresses us at the same time!

MrsGroves2B, Sep 15, 2013
  6. MrsGroves2B

nikster1987

I know I don't know anything about the property ladder, but would look into it in the future, I just wanted to say good luck with everything! Its awesome that you have been accepted for the apartment and the mortgage. Where abouts is the apartment? xx

nikster1987, Sep 24, 2013
  7. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Its in Wednesbury, classed as Darlaston but think its more the outside of Darlaston really. Thank you for your best wishes, hoping to find out dates this week or next, but we'll see. I don't want to get excited until the contracts are exchanged because anything can happen before then.

xx

MrsGroves2B, Sep 26, 2013
  8. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I really, really, really do not like moving!!! I really don't like the mess when packing boxes, living on minimal clothing and yet still needing to use stuff like the washing machine and having little to no place to dry it! We have outside and it is dry at the moment but another issue is actually getting outside to peg it out! I can't move in our house at the moment for boxes and stuff, and to top it off we have two cats, who are my babies and I love them to bits, who can sense something is happening and are not happy, and one of them keeps leaving little messages for us, but rather than putting these messages where we can see them, they've hidden, so not only are we packing but we are following the smells around! Its almost an impossible task! Chris is out at work, but also popping to his parents' house as its his Mom's Birthday today, we both need to go out tonight for my Nan's belated Birthday meal and have to go to choir practice afterwards too (there's an anthem going on this weekend and if we don't go we're not doing it, and we've missed enough recently that its not going to look good us not going again), so in all honestly I'm getting rather annoyed with it all now!

We've got to hand the keys in on Tuesday, but Chris is off work tomorrow and is hiring a van, so all the big stuff has to go tomorrow, so he want most of the boxes gone whilst he has the van, which makes a lot of sense. Chris wants me to get the place looking as clean and tidy as possible ready for when our friend and his Dad come over tomorrow to help move everything! If cats had nappies this would stand a much better chance of happening! We have not got the date for our new place yet so will be living with parents until then. Not ideal but we couldn't justify spending another month's rent and find that we'll only need to be in the house for a couple of weeks, especially if it means that we will be paying the first instalment of the mortgage, so have decided to just move in with parents for the time being. Unfortunately we have to live apart, but our parents live literally 5 minutes apart so it'll only be for sleeping and work that we will be apart. My parents have the room for both of us (well, until our boxes went in there!) but wont have our cats. Chris' parents don't have the room for both of us really, but will have the cats, so Chris will need to stay with the cats to look after them (and I really can't stand his Mom as you may be aware from past posts, so living with her would be a nightmare!)

I'm in work tomorrow morning and Saturday morning, and I'm quite looking forward to going just to get away from the sty!

On the positive side the spare room is pretty much sorted and most of our bedroom is sorted, bathroom has mainly washing and rubbish to do (all rubbish is spilling out from our tiny upstairs landing into the bathroom whilst finishing off the bedroom), so using the spare room as the box room and once everything is moved from our bedroom to the spare room I can finish the bathroom. Chris is going to help with downstairs when we get home tonight, so hopefully all wont be so bad! I'm just going to have to raid my Mom's washing machine tomorrow I think! Hehe! I can't even put the TV on upstairs as Chris has packed it and taken it to his Mom and Dad's house for him to watch whilst he's staying there!

MrsGroves2B, Oct 3, 2013
  9. MrsGroves2B

Becky

Oh dear doesn't sound good! At least it's not for long, and it will be so exciting for you when you are finally all settled! I agree that it's a rubbish time and very stressful. I would happily never move again!!

Becky, Oct 3, 2013
  10. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Well, we moved out on the 8th October, got boxes and things literally all over the place- my parents' house and garage, Chris' parents' conservatory (they have our 2 cats too), Chris' Nan's front room and spare bedroom, and we're sleeping at my Nan's house! Don't know whether we're coming or going at the moment!

On the positive side though it really shouldn't be for much longer. Solicitors (who we have been moaning at) have now got everything they need, the sellers are all ready to move out (the estate agents said they're moving out today) and all that the solicitors are waiting on is for our cheque for deposit and solicitors fees to clear into their account, which arrived at their office on Saturday. It was estimated to be done today or tomorrow, but the cheque needs 5 working days to clear, and even if it arrived Saturday it wouldn't be banked until Monday, which would mean being cleared for tomorrow would be pushing it, so they've said Monday or Tuesday now. We are exchanging and completing the same day by the sounds of it, the mortgage provider have said the money will be in whenever they ask for it, even today, and everything the solicitors need has been given and checked, so its literally waiting for our cheque to clear (its a building society cheque, so it wont bounce, but they are still waiting for it to clear and showing in their account, which is fair enough).

So its taken nearly 3 months so far, think it was early August we saw the apartment, and we've been living what seems like all over the place and homeless almost in a sense for nearly a month now. We ended our contract at our rented house thinking we don't want to end up paying for another month's rent to end up only being there for a couple of weeks, and if it goes to Tuesday that we get the keys it would work out that we would move in 3 days before the tenancy ran out and would have been perfect for giving time to move things into the new place! Sod's law!

Solicitors must be fed up of Chris ringing them! They kept messing us around, saying things like "we're just waiting on 3 things to come back", and "we have everything back now, just reading them", then "we're just waiting on 3 things to come back", until about 2 weeks ago we got so fed up of everything going backwards and forwards that we got to our estate agents and told them we feel they are messing us around, who then got on the case. As soon as they got on the case things miraculously went quicker! They had everything back 2 weeks ago, just needed to read it, but then by a week later they told Chris they were still waiting on 3 things to come back again, so I was fuming and said basically the solicitors are lying to us, they can't tell you they have everything and then say they haven't on more than one occasion, so straight back on the phone to our estate agents. Within about 2 and a half hours (all this was on a Friday) our estate agents called Chris and said they have everything, we can exchange and complete next Friday providing our cheque cleared by then! Its amazing how within a couple of hours they went from waiting on information to suddenly having it all after getting the estate agent on the case again!

After all the hassle and after past experiences of trying to buy a property I'm still in the mind set of things going wrong, even though I do feel much more confident now of things happening, but I think I'll still be in this mind set until we get the keys now and wont feel happy until we're in that estate agents and have the keys in our hands (and a photo of the keys as proof will have to be taken by me! Hehe!)

MrsGroves2B, Oct 31, 2013
  11. MrsGroves2B

Becky

That's great that you've got your completion date! Sorry to hear it's been slow going up until now, but I'm pleased to hear your nagging has paid off!! Some of my friends basically took charge of the legal side themselves - they chased after all the documents needed and gave them to the lawyers. They had a massively quick turnaround but it was a stressful few weeks as you can imagine!

Hope the move goes well on Friday, we'll want to hear when you're all settled at long last! :)

Becky, Oct 31, 2013
  12. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

We called the estate agents today on the off chance that the cheque may have cleared, but it hadn't so they're guessing Monday we can have the keys. I wont be 100% happy and confident until we get those keys now, but feel relieved that its all so close and have some answers.

We have spent loads in Argos! They have some good offers on at the moment, including the free £5 voucher when you spend £50 or more, and free £10 voucher if you spend £100 or more, but only until Tuesday. The whole Living range is on 3 for 2 until Tuesday, so yesterday we got three sets of curtains for the price of two and a free £5 voucher. Today we got the dining table and folding chairs, which had been reduced (which we didn't know until today) from £149.99 to £127.49, so used our £5 voucher on that and got it for £122.49, and got a £10 voucher for spending over £100. When we realised we had room in the car for the rest of the things we ordered we then got a new laundry basket (one of these that has the separate lights and darks sections), a new ironing board and bathroom shelves (2 shelves in a pack) in the 3 for 2, so got the ironing board free, and redeemed the £10 voucher (meaning our washing basket was about £7.49 in the end) and it came to over £50, so got another £5 voucher. Just before that Chris wanted some games and they came to £50 so got another £5 voucher (didn't want to use the £10 voucher because we wanted to put it towards the bathroom things), so we have now come back with two £5 vouchers and saved £15, got a free ironing board and, yesterday, a free set of curtains! Spent a lot but saved a lot too, and might as well get it now whilst the offers and vouchers are on than wait a week and get them once we're in the new place!

I just want in now, even if it means sleeping on the floor I just want to be in there now!

xx

MrsGroves2B, Nov 1, 2013
    Becky likes this.
  13. MrsGroves2B

Becky

That sounds brilliant, excellent bargain hunting skills! :D

Becky, Nov 4, 2013
  14. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Still no keys :( Called the estate agents yesterday who spoke to the solicitors for us (seem to get somewhere when they speak to the solicitors for us!) and as of yesterday morning the cheque still hadn't cleared, but our mortgage provider had sent the money to them we're borrowing for the place yesterday, so the solicitors had to send it back because of the cheque not being cleared and because interest is charged from that date! The estate agent was calling back yesterday afternoon but got too busy, but called again before 5pm saying that our solicitor is going to chase up their finance department this morning so Chris is calling them around 10am to see if our cheque has cleared.

Its getting annoying because its a building society cheque, which take 5 working days to clear. The money is in the account because the building society wont write the cheque if its not in there anyway, and we posted it a week ago last Friday, so it was in their office a week ago last Saturday morning, so it should have been banked by last Monday (8 days ago) at the latest, so with the 5 working days it should have been cleared by yesterday really. Some places accept a building society cheque straight away, but I understand places not doing so, and appreciate things being done by the book.

I'm just hoping that we can have the keys today, I'm desperate to get in there now! It may well end up being at some point this week but I'm hoping for today, especially before Thursday because we have Sky due over on Thursday afternoon to sort the phone line out for the Internet and telephone because we had to book it for the home move service, and was told if we didn't book it until we moved we could end up being delayed in the run up to Christmas (last year we moved and booked it the beginning of November and couldn't get it until 4th January), but if its booked in and we need reschedule because we're not in yet they can get us in sooner being in the system, so not bothered cancelling it yet in case we're in before Thursday!

MrsGroves2B, Nov 5, 2013
  15. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Right, new update! Exchange of contracts are happening as we speak. Chris has had a phone call to give his permission to exchange contracts, and will receive a message from our solicitor when they are exchanged. Our estate agent is also on the case.

Completion, they have told us the earliest they can do is Monday. Chris asked if it can be any earlier and they said no, its the earliest they can do. Again, the estate agent has been informed and is on the case (we can't fault our estate agent, she is brilliant!)

I'm not holding much hope of the completion being earlier than Monday but at least we know a date now.

MrsGroves2B, Nov 5, 2013
  16. MrsGroves2B

Becky

That's brilliant news, congratulations! :D Are you doing the move yourself or hiring a removal company? Hope it all goes well on Monday!

Becky, Nov 5, 2013
  17. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

We're doing it all ourselves, but Chris will hire a van the following weekend for any big things.

Although, the contracts can't be exchanged yet! These solicitors are seriously driving me mad! After asking for permission for contracts to be exchanged they have now decided that a certificate from the management company for the building (for the leasehold) is not there, so can't exchange until its there! Wouldn't mind but they tell us everything is sorted then its not! This has happened on more than one occasion now, so it better be sorted now! Apparently its nothing major and nothing to worry about but its getting frustrating now!

As soon as we're moved I'm writing a letter of complaint to the solicitors. As much as they want the information from the management company, its their job to ensure its all there in the first place, and to tell us they are waiting for x, y, z, then tell us they have everything they need, then tell us they're just waiting for x, y, z to come back again (the same x, y, z as before) is basically lying to us in my opinion so now they tell us all they were waiting for is our cheque to clear, to now go to exchange contracts and find they haven't got something is the icing on the cake. I don't expect anything from complaining but I don't appreciate solicitors who are supposed to be working on our behalf, and we pay a lot of money to work on our behalf, to pretty much lie and/or give out false information to us. Its not necessarily a true reflection on the solicitor working on our case, more the company in general, and we only used them because they work alongside our estate agents and we got an offer on using them when buying our property, and the sellers are using the same company too, so thought it may help us along!

MrsGroves2B, Nov 6, 2013
  18. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Latest update- just this minute received a text from our solicitors saying the contracts have now been exchanged and completion is set for Monday! Whoo! Now feel relieved!

MrsGroves2B, Nov 7, 2013
  19. MrsGroves2B

Becky

Thank goodness for that! :D

Becky, Nov 8, 2013
  20. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

WE'RE IN!!!! YAYYY!!!!!

Managed to get our keys yesterday afternoon and began the task of moving our things in last night. Considering we didn't get our keys until around 1.30-2pm we have managed to build 3 items of furniture and made a good start on the dining table and chairs set, went and got a new kettle and toaster set (which my parents have got us as a moving in present!), cleaned (forgot the hoover though so the carpets need a hoover today, but if we're building things I think I'll wait until the bits from boxes, etc are out of the way, everything else is done), got the bathroom and kitchen sorted and got the curtains up in all of the rooms (harder than we thought when the curtain rails are so high!), so tonight we're going to sort out more furniture (I want everything that needs building done before the boxes come, so we can put things in places when they come) and make a start on putting things away. We have some suitcases of clothes but haven't got to the clothes hangers yet so can't hang anything up yet!

Back at my Mom and Dad's house at the minute though as I have an appointment this side of the area this morning, and my car hadn't been picked up to bring back so needed to get my car as well, but our first night was spent on a double air bed, which will be the case until Friday when our new bed will be delivered (then Saturday morning I have work and will need to get up out of it early! Typical!) Chris slept like a log, I was sticking to the air bed, even with a sheet over it, but it was comfortable, and it was our first night in our new home, so we were happy!

The cats are moving in today, they are currently staying at Chris' parents' house, but they are having family staying over from Friday and the cats are living in the spare room (Chris' old room) so it needs a good clean before they arrive. I didn't really want them around whilst there's chaos of breaking down boxes and building furniture, I don't want to stress them as much as I can help it, but we'll do our best to make them feel at home, will give them lots of fuss and food, and plenty of cuddles too! The plan was to keep them in the bathroom whilst things are moving, but the light bulb went out on us and its one of these silly bulbs that you don't see in standard shops that sell light bulbs, and with no windows in there its pitch black, so don't want to shut them in the dark, especially when they don't know the place, so may be a spare room job!

Now its the task of changing my address everywhere! So far my building society is changed, only because I had to go in yesterday, so everything else will need to be done now! I'll no doubt forget something or somewhere!

Happy Becky now!!! :)

xx

MrsGroves2B, Nov 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question