Forum Software Upgrade

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Ian, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

This is just a heads up to keep all of you in the loop about the site :D.

There has been a new version of the forum software released today which includes a few really handy improvements - such as : commenting on status updates, a "my content" button, improved ways of tracking posts you've made and and lots of other little tweaks.

The software upgrade also means we'll be able to add some other cool features to the site, so we can expand it with other handy information.

Over the next few weeks I'll be testing the upgrade out and making sure that everything works great before going online. Once the upgrade is ready, I'll do it early one morning before anyone is awake and the new features will appear - so the site won't be offline at all (it only takes seconds to do, once all the coding has been done already) and the appearance will look exactly the same, just with these extra little features to make things better :blink:.

Ian, Jun 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Mrsg2b2011

Coolio [​IMG]

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

MrsBrown

Brilliant!! Thank you for all your hard work!

MrsBrown, Jun 1, 2010
  4. Ian

poppleminster

yaaaay. Only one vital thing. Can this upgrade make my breakfast, a decent cuppa and do my early morning power walk for me? If so then you guys truly are wonderful! :)

poppleminster, Jun 2, 2010
  5. Ian

Ian Administrator

I certainly hope so :D. Doing the dishes and washing the car would also be handy extra features ;)

Ian, Jun 3, 2010
  6. Ian

Ian Administrator

Getting the forum software upgraded is going a little faster than I thought, so it may even be live at the weekend :). I'll keep you all posted!

I'm working on the final few layout tweaks today and it's working well :D.

Ian, Jun 4, 2010
  7. Ian

Ian Administrator

The coding is now complete! I'm all ready to go live, which may take about 5 mins to switch over. There are lots of people browsing at the moment, so I'll wait until a quiet time and then make the jump :)

Ian, Jun 4, 2010
  8. Ian

Ian Administrator

Upgrading now... back in 5 :)

Ian, Jun 4, 2010
  9. Ian

Ian Administrator

All done! We're now on the new forum software, woohoo!!! :D

If you spot any bugs, errors or colour problems, just let me know and I'll get to work fixing them. There are a few new features that you may notice, including:

• Notifications system - you can configure your settings on the control panel, so you can be alerted to lots of different events (i.e. someone replying to your post, a reply to your status update etc...)
    • A "my content" page, you can view this from the member dropdown menu in the top corner. It's a handy way to keep track of your posts.
    • Reply to status updates, something that you guys asked for and should now be working :)
    • There are lots of other little changes under the hood that should speed things up at the same time.
    The only drawback with the upgrade is that the changes made a while ago to show the avatar instead of the profile pic will no longer work, as it is used in so many new places. I'll make a post on this over the weekend so that people will know how and where to set the profile pic.

Ian, Jun 4, 2010
  10. Ian

MrsBrown

Thank you Ian!

MrsBrown, Jun 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question