Finally Thought Of The Perfect, Yet Impossible :( Favours...

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by nahatalie, Sep 17, 2012.

1. nahatalie

nahatalie

Now, this is a huge huge long-shot. When thinking about favours, nothing has really clicked, and I've not been too fussed about them. However, I had a brain-wave of genius the other. Reflecting my love of Japan (I lived there for a year a few years ago, and OH and I went there last Easter, where he proposed), I would LOVE to give momiji manju as my favours (see the pic below). They are palm-sized maple leaf shaped cakes (maple leaf is a symbol of Hiroshima where I used to live) traditionally filled with a sweet bean paste, but you can get all sorts of flavours including matcha (green tea) my favourite, and chocolate and custard...and even cheese! (sorry, got a bit carried away with my description of these awesome little sweets!) I'd opt for the choc or custard ones, to please the guests. Trouble is, they simply don't exist in this country!

[​IMG]

Anyway, I've emailed a couple of places, including Hyper Japan (an organiser of a Japanese event fair in London) and had no joy. I'm not expecting anyone to even know what momiji manju are, let alone where to get them. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to track down such a thing. Now that I've had the idea, I am desperate to get hold of them! It would be such a personal touch, and I'd be so excited to include and share a little bit of Japan. In case anyone asks, there is no way I can make them lol, or even get anyone professional to, it wouldn't be the same and you need a special sandwhich-toaster-esque mould. Argh! Why did I have to think of that?! It's never going to happen lol.

nahatalie, Sep 17, 2012
    gildius likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. nahatalie

Becky

They look great, but I've never seen them in the UK before! Would it be worth speaking to some Japanese restaurants to see if they could make them for you? Or it might be the case that they could put you in touch with someone who can? There must surely be somewhere in London where they can be found!!

Becky, Sep 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. nahatalie

nahatalie

That's what I'm thinking, there must be a way to get them here! I will speak to some Japanese restaurants, but I'm pretty sure they can't make them, due to the special mould needed and the fact they are so local to a specific area. They might be able to put me in touch with someone who could ship some over. I just haven't had any luck with tracking down anyone who will send some over!

nahatalie, Sep 18, 2012
  4. nahatalie

MrsBrown

A pre wedding moon/ trip to Japan ha ha..

When made how long do they last? Are you in contact with anyone in Japan still wod they help?

MrsBrown, Sep 19, 2012
  5. nahatalie

MrsBrown

Oh they look lovely.. I cold just eatone :)

MrsBrown, Sep 19, 2012
  6. nahatalie

Helen

They look great! The Canadians do something very similar with maple syrup and I love those.

Good luck tracking some down, I don't have any helpful suggestions to add to Becky and Mrs Brown, maybe you will get lucky and find someone who can make them for you :)

Helen, Sep 19, 2012
  7. nahatalie

iPrincess26

A quick google search turned this up - not sure if they deliver to the UK but I searched for buy in the UK;

http://www.marukaies...eces-141oz.aspx

Apologies just checked and they only deliver to the US - sorry! I'll keep looking.

iPrincess26, Sep 19, 2012
  8. nahatalie

nahatalie

Aw thanks! I'll keep searching...as for a pre-wedding trip, I would LOVE that, but we already went this Easter lol. Unfortunately, I've been back in England for 5 years and and everyone I made friends with is back too, we all happen to live in and around London (well, I'm in Southend, apparantely it's London according to the airport "London Southend Airport" lol) so I don't have any contacts. I do know one person, the bar man who we spent every weekend at his bar with lol. However, I'm not close enough to him and we only just got back in touch (following our Easter visit - was so awesome to go there and he was still there!) Also, he knows about as much English as I do Japanese, which is VERY little! So I don't think he'd understand what I'm asking him. Also, I don't want to ask him that big a favour (ha ha, get it, favour lol). Sending 100 of those over would be a pain! Will keep up the search....

nahatalie, Sep 19, 2012
  9. nahatalie

winter ash

I have an uncle in japan I could possibly ask if he could put me through to someone who could make and ship them for you .

winter ash, Sep 28, 2012
  10. nahatalie

nahatalie

Thanks guys. I have no idea (or desire!) to get into twitter. Facebook occupies enough of my time lol, I just don't get twitter. I have since asked at a Japanese restaurant and been to the Japan centre in London, but turned up nothing so far. Winter ash, any avenue possible would be great! If your uncle knows anyone, what'd be so awesome. it would be so nice to have those at the wedding...

nahatalie, Oct 1, 2012
  11. nahatalie

MrsBrown

You don't have to get into twitter don't worry. I have an app on my phone but dont think i have ever signed up for an account or if I do have never ever used it. I just use twitter because I am nosy sometimes and it's a good way to read the gossip or even check what is happening on the motorway.. Seriously people tweet stuff like crash on m62 and when your stuck it helps.

So you could just go onto twitter site I think and do a search like Popplemaster says, you shouldnt need to sign up.

MrsBrown, Oct 2, 2012
  12. nahatalie

Becky

Like MrsB says, just go to www.twitter.com/search and you can read what people are talking about without having to sign up. It's a useful resource! :)

Becky, Oct 2, 2012
  13. nahatalie

nahatalie

We've given up trying to source momiji manju, and have decided on a totally different idea now! I'm going to buy a job lot of RSPCA charity pin badges, in 8 different animals, and tables will be named after the different animals, but in Japanese! And our center pieces are bonsai trees so it tries to join my passion of animal welfare and obsession with Japan!

nahatalie, Oct 5, 2012
  14. nahatalie

Helen

I love your idea! I always feel sorry for bonsai trees, don't ask my why as I have no idea, maybe as they haven't been allowed to grow outside or something, I do think they look pretty neat though, will look really different as centre pieces too :)

Haha just read that back - I'm such a weirdo!

Helen, Oct 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question