'expert' Wedding Planners? ... How Are They 'experts'?

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by Zoe_1234, May 20, 2013.

1. Zoe_1234

Zoe_1234

I had recently been debating hiring a wedding planner for my wedding when I came across someone who called themselves 'expert' wedding planners, offering a really great (low) price... first thing I thought was, what makes you an 'expert', you must have certificates to even be a wedding planner and you must have awards to call yourself an 'expert' in the wedding planning business, also you must of planned alot of weddings to be an expert... after I asked these questions to them it turns out (after requiring proof of these things as there were no evidence on there website) they have NEVER planned a wedding ...'YET' they said but they have planned some small events and one of there sisters got married which they went to and got the feel for wedding planning! I could not believe what I was hearing!!! Just a tip if you are hiring a wedding planner to ask these questions and ask for proof if it is not seen on there web page as you could get stung with a low budget wedding that has cost you a fortune because they have called themselves 'experts' and made you feel liek its a priviledge to have them planning your wedding.

I know there is alot of amazing wedding planners out there and this is not aimed at any qualified wedding planners... just the ones who say they have planned weddings when really they havent and also I dont agree calling yourself an expert when you havent even done the job you are suppose to be an 'expert' in!

Anyway rant over, I hope this is a heads up for anyone just to make sure you ask if you see an 'expert' offering you a deal!

Zoe_1234, May 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Zoe_1234

Becky

Sounds like a close call! I bet a fair few people wouldn't think to ask too many questions, so it's a good job you did!

Welcome to the forums by the way :) When is your wedding?

Becky, May 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Zoe_1234

MrsGroves2B

I personally don't believe in having a wedding planner. I think they're good if you have no time and just don't want the hassle with the planning, but I feel that doing everything yourself, even if it does create stress, gives you that feeling of control and you have the satisfaction that it is all done how you want it to be. I think its just another cost that you don't need to pay out, and weddings are expensive enough!

This is just my opinion though, so don't want to cause any offence. I'm sure people have used wedding planners and have found them the best thing that they did.

Sounds like a close call though. Lovely to see you on here and good luck with your wedding planning!

xx

MrsGroves2B, May 20, 2013
  4. Zoe_1234

RubyRed

I totally agree that you should do your homework on the "planners" that you might potentially use. A good planner will be members of official organisations and should be able to offer you references or testimonials although I can appreciate that they have to start somewhere. Even the best planner had a first bride.

I think the use of the word "expert" may have been misleading!

Also a good planner should actually save you money as they should be able to negotiate a best price for the venue, suppliers etc as that's their job
    Wedding planners shouldn't take commission, the discount they get should always be passed to the bride and groom.
    So ideally, if you don't want all the stress and hassle, a wedding planner can take that from you but overall not cost you anymore than doing it yourself....in an ideal world!

RubyRed, May 20, 2013
  5. Zoe_1234

Helen

To be honest I think you can get a reasonable idea after meeting someone and talking with them to tell if they are suitable to plan a wedding. I don't think qualifications mean anything, it is testimonials you really want. I'm sure that many of us on here could easily be capable of planning a wedding (and charging for it) without having qualifications.

I did all the planning etc for our UK reception, however for our wedding abroad I did pay someone who was there to do all the paperwork etc as that is just something that is so hard to do when you are not local and not familiar with the laws of the country etc.

Helen, May 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question