Engagement Stories

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Becky, May 9, 2010.

1. Becky

Becky Administrator

I thought it would be a nice idea to share engagement stories! I'll kick things off...

My other half (Ian - BigDay.co.uk's resident geek) and I have been together since March 2003. We met in Manchester during our first year at uni as we lived in the same halls of residence. Over seven years have gone by since then - can't believe it's been that long! We realised pretty quickly that it was the real deal - I've never met anyone that I've clicked with so instantly. We were instantly best mates, and fell head over heels for each other!!

My family is from Dorset and his is fom Newcastle, so staying in Manchester seemed like a good compromise. We realised that we wanted to get married one day, but having both come from broken families we were in no rush. After about 5 years together we both started to think that actually, we'd quite like to do the whole marriage thing, and yes, we would like to do it in 'the next few years'.

By Spring 2009 I was getting reeeally keen to get married - not for the wedding, but for the marriage. Ian was informed that if he didn't ask me by New Year's Eve then I was going to ask him!!

In July 2009 we had a family get together. Everyone from my family was there (no mean feat as we are all very spread out), including both my step-dad and my Dad. We were out for a meal in the hotel we were staying in, and I nipped up to my room to get a cardigan. When I came back everyone was grinning at me and there was a quick change of subject... the plot thickens...!

A few weeks later, we went to Paris for my birthday. The day we got there was roasting, and even though we were really tired we wanted to go out for a nice meal. Ian got some good recommendations from the lady running our hotel, and we decided to walk there as it was such a warm evening. Ian had planned out a lovely walk - through parks, next to the river, by Notre Dame - it was gorgeous! We got to our restaurant and had one of the best meals ever! Even at this point I still hadn't suspected anything... [​IMG]

After the meal, we strolled back to the river. In the middle of a bridge overlooking Notre Dame, we stopped to have a sneaky kiss. Ian told me he'd got me a little present for my birthday. As the trip was meant to be my birthday present I told him off! He then got down on one knee, pulled a ring out of his pocket, and asked me if I would marry him!!

Turns out he had asked both my step-dad and my real Dad for permission at the family get-together, bless him.

And I didn't need to ask him at New Year after all! [​IMG]

Becky, May 9, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Becky

MrsBrown

What a lovely story!!

My Fiance and have been best friends for 5 years, though he lived in Scotland and i was down in yorks. He ended up in a job near me about 18 months ago, 4 months later we were a couple and engaged 9 months after that! Its a bit of a joke that we took so long to become a couple and then went full steam ahead he he!!

Anyway my proposal was a bit different. I sorta new he was up to something, he was acting strange! Anyway we went out for a run, came back had breakfast and then he insisted I came up the top of the garden with him (he was being very strange) Anyway I went over to the veg patch pulled out a bunch of leeks and a turnip and turned round and there he was asking me to marry him with a ring (Yes I had dirt over my hands he he!!) He later told me, he had planned to go to the florist get flowers and hide the flowers and champagne in the garden whilst i went to the gym.. only I decided to run with him and spoilt his plans!!

Anyway good thing is that we have taken the proposal as a theme for our wedding.. I am even tempted to throw a bunch of leeks instead of my bouquet!! I also get to see the my proposal site everyday :)

Jayne

P.s we did go out for a nice romantic meal in the eve!!

MrsBrown, May 9, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Becky

flo2310

Ahh Becky that is such a lovely story! :D And so romantic! Love Paris - perfect place to get engaged!
    Mrs Brown2B - I think that's such a great idea to have the leeks to throw - is the theme going to be flowers etc then?

Well this is my story...

H2B, Andrew and I met on night in 2005 in the cheesiest night club around - complete with the sticky floors and walls which light up in crazy colours! I was convinced he wouldn't get in touch but he did and we went on a few dates before I started Uni at Oxford Brookes. At this point I wasn't sure I wanted to be in a relationship as was just starting uni. But Andrew kept intouch and we spoke nearly every night on the phone (up to 5 hours some nights!!) and finally... I agreed to go out with him!

So fast forward 2 years... We decided to go away for our 2 year anniversary, to a lovely Hotel just outside the centre of Windsor, were there are lovely walks and beautful gardens. I found and booked the hotel so wasn't expecting anything at all. Infact, we had just come back from a 2 week holiday in LA where I was convinced he was going to propose... and when he didn't, my family and I were resigned to the fact that it wasn't going to happen any time soon!

When we got to the hotel, we had brought a bottle of champagne with us, so called for some glasses and ice and after they arrived Andrew suggested heading for a walk in the gardens of the hotel which were right by the river. So wondering around, chatting about things and taking pics, Andrew suggests that I stand on a little jetty and he'll take a picture of me... so off I go, and he gets down on one knee to take the picture, he is quite arty so didn't think much of it... until I came back to look at the picture and he stayed down there and looked up at me and said "Well, as I'm down here I might as well ask..." and got the ring out "...Will you marry me!"

just before.jpg

I was speachless....! And if you knew me, you'd be supprised!! Of course I said "Yes" but not sure it actually sounded like the word! Then the sweetest thing happened, a man staying at the hotel had seen the proposal from his window, and came down from his room and asked us if he had seen correctly, and congratulated us and took a photo! Was so lovely of him :)

just after.jpg

Andrew hadn't asked my dad as he knew I'd find out (my family is very close knitt and we're not good secret keepers...or liers!) so I rang my mum straight away and all I sais was "Mum, you'll never guess..." Her reply was "He hasn't?!"... "He has!" and by the end of the 5 minute phone call I was getting texts from family and friends - didn't realise just how fast good news travels!!

Every time I think of the proposal my heart flutters! Was the best weekend of my life!

Can't wait to read more stories!

Flo xx

flo2310, May 9, 2010
  4. Becky

WelshBride

Mine is NO WHERE near as romantic as either of yours lol!!

My h2b and I had been together for about 2yrs and he was always talking about getting engaged. The night we met he told me he was going to marry me, the drunken sod lol! Anyway we were out shopping one day and we were passing the jewellers,he insisted on having a look at rings, I saw one I liked and he said I can either buy you that ring now or I go and buy golf clubs!! So of course I couldn't turn down such a romantic gesture and we bought the ring [​IMG]

And guess what! He still went and bought golf clubs the next day [​IMG]

WelshBride, May 9, 2010
  5. Becky

MrsBrown

Its great to read all the stories, so different but so special in their own ways!

Flo2310, we are having a garden theme, I have written about this on another thread, but we trying to have lots of touches about gardens and our cake topper has a bride and groom complete with a wheel barrow and a bride with a bunch of leeks in her hand!!!

MrsBrown, May 9, 2010
  6. Becky

flo2310

That sounds great - where are you getting it from? Is it personalised to look like(ish!) you too?

flo2310, May 9, 2010
  7. Becky

MrsBrown

The woman who is making our cake is making it for us. She asked for a photo, but I am accidently forgetting to drop it off he he!! She knows hair colour etc etc!

MrsBrown, May 9, 2010
  8. Becky

Becky Administrator

I love all the stories! Keep 'em coming [​IMG]

Becky, May 10, 2010
  9. Becky

Helen

Great stories :D !

I met my h2b on the internet! I'd just finished with a guy who was a total idiot and my friends convinced me to try internet dating for a bit of a laugh more than anything. Matt was the first guy I emailed but nothing more really came of it for ages, I thought he wasn't really interested and I thought he was a bit boring :lol: After quite rejecting quite a lot of weirdos :p and very nearly deleting Matt hehe we somehow got talking on msn one day and that was it, within a week we were talking on the phone and we arranged to meet up.

After we had been together about 2 years we were on holiday skiing with a whole load of my family and friends, we went out for a meal one evening by ourselves and afterwards when we were sitting on the reindeer sleigh (not real reindeer they are made of lights will try and find a photo) and he asked me to marry him :D unfortunatly I though he was just sort of talking about it :rolleyes: so he had to try again and gave me the ring before I realised what he meant! Whoops! It was a total shock as although we had talked about getting married etc I really thought he wouldn't ask for a while longer. He had been really worried about taking the ring on holiday with us and had wrapped it up in his wallet the whole two weeks :lol:

Helen, May 11, 2010
  10. Becky

Helen

Also must mention the ring :p - I'd said that I wanted white gold, really flat setting so I could wear it every day without catching it on things, and a green stone as I didn't want a diamond and he got all three right :rolleyes: such a good boy :D

Helen, May 11, 2010
  11. Becky

vhc

how on earth did you manage that??? [​IMG]

That's exactly the type of ring I want! (for the exact same reasons)

I want a picture of it.
    [​IMG]

vhc, May 11, 2010
  12. Becky

Jaybabes

I met my H2B online as well. We started talking via a dating site and it soon progressed from leaving each other messages online to nightly phone calls. At the beginning he was in Germany still serving in the army and I was back home in sunny Scotland but nonetheless every night we were on the phone foe most of the evening, even when he went away to Norway on exercise for 3 weeks.

Anyhow the phone calls then progressed to weekend flights over there for me or back here for him until his time was up and he moved back home and moved in with me.

Later on that year we had decided to go on a nice holiday and chose Domican Republic, I'm not the best of flioers so we upgraded and flew first class so it would be that little more spacious.

Along came the stewardess taking drinks orders and at thei time I reaaly didn't want anything but H2B insisted I have a drink to ease my nerves so I ordeded a breezer. He took the order when it came and took my glass to put the ice in, along with which he dropped a white gold engagement ring before passing it to me.

I was just about to pour my drink into the glass when I noticed it, did I shriek or did I shriek lol, so that was it, he proposed to me 35000ft in the air.

The rest is history and it was a great holiday as well [​IMG]

Jaybabes, May 11, 2010
  13. Becky

Helen

vhc this is for you (if it works lol)

Attached Files:

Helen, May 11, 2010
  14. Becky

vhc

Helen, that's exactly the kind of thing I want!

it's perfect! [​IMG]

vhc, May 12, 2010
  15. Becky

Helen

:D thanks! It's just what I wanted so dead chuffed. He had to have it made specially. (It's a green sapphire) :D

Helen, May 12, 2010
  16. Becky

MrsApplen2be

[​IMG] Ooh nice idea

I should mention first off that as a child and a teenager and young woman I was always dead set against getting married. That all changed when I met my h2b and I thank him for making me change my mind and understanf what marriage is about.

H2b sister got married in australia in her wedding party when she came back h2b got very drunk and told me during their first dance that he was going to propose to me that year. This was in the feb.

In Nov we were due to go to a cold play concert and if im honest I was expecting it to come then if it was going to happen. A week before we were due to go h2b dropped me to work in the morning while I was in work he text me telling me could I get a lift home as he couldnt be bothered to pick me up. I saw red called him all the names under the sun. When I got dropped home the curtains were closed and house was in darkness, I called him a few more names in temper as I banged on the door. Lazy b****** I was thinking.

He opened the door to out living room and I was greeted with this......although burning a bit better as the picture is an afterthought.

[​IMG]

I was so shocked as I never thought he could be so romantic and all my anger slipped away. Funny enough he was planning to propose in coldplay but got nervous and did it earlier after asking my mums permission x

MrsApplen2be, May 12, 2010
    vhc likes this.
  17. Becky

Bunny

Aww Becky, how thoughtful of your H2B to ask both of them!

And I don't remember who it was, but the throwing leeks idea instead of a bouquet sounds fantastic! :D

Mine was very simple and I didn't suspect anything lol. He'd been mentioning about marrying me for ages, so I knew it was gonna come at some point, just didn't know when! It was our 1-year anniversary, but I was on my first job (still am) and he was unemployed at the time, so we were both really careful with money. Anyway, I asked if he'd like to eat out or stay in, as it's our anniversary - he'd let me choose, which was of course to go out! So we both dressed up fancy, he got himself in a lovely suit hehe, and then we printed out a voucher for the restaurant Zizzi (2 for 1!) and took the bus. Since this was how we normally did things, I didn't think anymore of it. Then we sat down for a lovely meal and I was chatting away, and unusually he told me to get dessert (normally we don't cus we're poor!).

Then he sneakily "went to the bathroom" when in fact, he had gone and told the waitress. A few moments after he came back, a waitress came smiling in the middle of the room with champagne and tinkled the glasses and said, "Someone here has a very special message to say..." and the whole room fell silent. And I was just sat there in shock as I was thinking, "Is he...? Noooo, he can't be, surely?"

And then he got down on one knee and was too nervous to say much else other than "Will you marry me?" :D

He later told me he had been trying to hide the ring in his breast pocket all night (especially when I went and hugged him!) and he thought I'd like the attention of a public proposal haha :)

Bunny, May 13, 2010
  18. Becky

lilypad

Congratulations to everyone!

I did the proposing so that was a bit of a shock to everyone. I met my h2b at the start of uni 19 months ago.
    I proposed on April the 1st, realising my mistake as he initially thought it was an april fools.
    He was greeted at the train station with a giant 12'' cookie with 'Will you marry me?'' written in icing. It did not go as I had planned apart from he said yes, and we went to celebrate with friends. He was carrying a lot of armour for a medieval fair that weekend, and he'd just done a 5 hour train journey.

As I said, he initially thought it was an april fools, but said yes when I told him it wasn't, he was dumbstruck for the rest of the evening with our friends, but after speaking to his parents the next day he was really excited and insisted on buying me a ring that day.

I cant wait to start saving for my wedding day, and knowing my h2b he'll want to get married in his armour

I'll never forget proposing in a different way to ''the norm'' but it was definately the best cookie I've ever had!

lilypad, May 13, 2010
  19. Becky

Toni_x

I met my H2b online too - this is turning into a sort of trend :D

Anyway - it's not as romantic as most of yours, Although saying that, it's still managed to give me butterflies.

n565655033_7373.jpg

So here it goes; I have had a couple of nasty relationships in the past (One left me with 3 years of hurt, a broken engagement and a beautiful baby boy. The other was my best friend and still is in fact - just goes to show that you really can be too much of a mate to be together) So i was convinced by another friend of mine to sign up to this dating site, put a few pictures up, be completely honest and see just how many "hits" i got. Well, me being me couldn't wait. I spotted Terry within about 5 mins of signing up! i read his profile and all i could say was "wow! He has the same views on everything i do!" - so i sent him a message to say hi :) Cutting a long and awkward chatting up story short, we were soon chatting on msn and then came the late night phone calls (we were talking until about 3am!!! baring in mind i have to get up to my son anywhere between 5am and 8am it was rather painful for a while but SO worth it!)
    We decided to meet a week later in Romford town center (nice and public) and hit it off within seconds! within a few hours we had our first kiss (fireworks were defenantly there!)
    A week after that he met my parents - awkward!! (They're not the chattiest of people at the best of times...imagine them with nothing to say!!)
    Needless to say we hadn't been together long when he asked me to marry him! i thought he was joking!! I was sitting on the edge of my bed sorting out washing (see - sooooo not romantic) when he knelt in front of me - there was no ring so i assumed he wanted to help me sort the washing!!!! He asked and i said yes obviously!! The same day we went out and he let me pick my own ring...not very romantic but at least the ring is to my tastes i suppose.
    We've set the date for 23rd July next year...i'll only be 20! gahhh! so young!! But i guess that adds to the excitement :D (he's 23 in case anyone was wondering)

The only thing i'm dredding is the fact that Tel is in the TA and will be going to fight in Afganistan in just over a years time - but it's great to know that i will be able to talk to him everyday...and it won't be until AFTER the wedding :p

Much love

T x

Toni_x, May 13, 2010
  20. Becky

MrsGroves2B

How me and my h2b got engaged was probably not the most romantic way of proposing, but still lovely!

We'd been together just under a year and it was approaching my 21st Birthday. I'd said it would be nice to get engaged for my 21st Birthday and had an inlking that he would propose to me. Just under 2 weeks before my Birthday I was at work, which at the time was about 5 minutes drive from home, and I arrived home to find my h2b in our living room talking to my parents. The thing I found odd was that he was in his work's uniform and his car was nowhere to be seen. I knew what he was up to straight away, because he'd always said he'd ask my Dad for my hand in marriage before officially proposing to me. I walked in and my Dad said that my h2b had called in to help him do something like put up the garden patio table or something like that, but I knew otherwise and kept quiet! Later that night me and my h2b went out and he told me he'd asked my Dad if he could marry me, and said that we needed to talk about it together first and things. This was the Sunday, so went back to my parents on the Monday and said we'd spoke about it (I wont go into detail) and my Mom hugged me! On the Tuesday me and my h2b went out ring shopping and I got to choose my engagement ring, but my h2b refused to allow me to have it until he'd got down on one knee and proposed! So we went back to his house, where everyone had gone out, put the TV on (think it was Only Fools and Horses that was on!), whilst I sat down on the sofa, and he got down on one knee and proposed! We were going to go somewhere else but didn't know where to go!

MrsGroves2B, May 14, 2010
    1. Advertisements