Don't Tell The Bride....

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Savage, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Savage

Savage

So, its my new favourite programme and I'm guessing (and hoping) I'm not the only b2b who records every episode and has the occasional dttb marathon with a bottle of wine...

Does anyone else think these women are ridiculously brave/crazy?? There's a very fine line between the two!

I am too much of a control freak to let my h2b plan our entire wedding! He's had very little input to date, not for lack of trying on my part though! I guess I should have realised though, it did take seven years of us being together and two children for him to finally ask me. For him to be really enthusiastic about the actual wedding is pushing it a bit!

Anyone else's h2b taking a back seat in wedding planning, or is it just mine? I've got a feeling it's going to be a rather stressful 12 months!!

Savage, Aug 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Savage

Helen

There is no way I would go on DTTB! Mainly because I would hate to be on tv and I would hate to miss out on planning and making things for our wedding.

We discussed lots of wedding aspects together, he had some strong views on some parts and couldn't care less on others! Mostly we agreed on things! All the big parts we agreed on, such as location (I suggested Canada, he chose the actual ceremony location, he chose the UK reception venue) vows (we chose them together) guests (we each invited who we wanted) food (he chose what he wanted to eat and I chose what I wanted and we had a buffet, he sorted the bar and I sorted the welcome cocktails) the band (we saw them play, we both loved them and I said I would like them for our reception so we went over and booked them there and then).

I chose the photographers, flowers and colour scheme (I did ask him if green was ok!).

We went suit shopping together (so technically I chose that but he did get a choice of ones I liked!) I found the fabric for his waistcoat but he could have chosen something else. I chose my dress and accessories and he chose not to be consulted about it (although he did say he hated the original bouquets I had shortlisted so I changed it to one he liked).

In conclusion I would say he had choice in what he considered the important aspects, the rest like flowers, photographers, small details etc he wasn't fussed about so I did what I wanted to. :)

Which parts of the wedding are important to your h2b? If you ask him which bits he wants choice in and which he isn't bothered about then you might find it sparks more of an interest in those bits. If he is happy for you to sort it all out and choose things then I would just do it, some people (brides and grooms) just aren't fussed about the flowers or the colours, it doesn't mean that they are any less interested in the actual important bits like the vows and being married afterwards :)

Helen, Aug 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Savage

iPrincess26

Yep mine is similar to Helen he helped with the venue, photographer and menu oh and the colour scheme, he isn't bothered about the flowers so I have done all of that he had some input on the table decs and he is helping with evening room decoration and sorting the playlist (i am having some input) - so in short he gets shown most things for an opinion and either goes with what I have chosen or gives some proper input.

We have similar tastes so no major issues so far as we have a clear image of how we want the day to look/feel - we hate themes but if I had to describe it i would say classic, traditional with some twists!

iPrincess26, Aug 2, 2012
  4. Savage

gildius

I watched an episode of DTTB where the groom blew about 80% of the budget on flying him and his mates out to Vegas for a stag do. While he was there he went out to buy the wedding dress, hungover. Amazing!

gildius, Aug 2, 2012
  5. Savage

Savage

My colour scheme is green too! :)

He will be going suit shopping with my dad, his best man and the ushers...I have no say in that, but then he has no say in my dress so I suppose it's fair.
    I think he's happy for me to take control of things...obviously I'll ask for his opinion before any final decisions are made and if he hates something for whatever reason then we'll come up with an alternative together. It's pretty much how we've worked for the past 7 years!

I watched that episode today!! I felt so sorry for the b2b but then his poor little face when she said she didn't know if she would marry him! I think her sister should've been there for her though... My h2b would've loved a Vegas wedding and simply for this reason, I wouldn't apply for the programme! I'd probably end up having a drive thru wedding!!

Savage, Aug 2, 2012
  6. Savage

tattoobride2be

i love all wedding programes but theres no way i would let my fiance plan the wedding

sarah x

tattoobride2be, Aug 2, 2012
  7. Savage

Becky

I remember that one! Didn't the bride throw a fit and threaten not to go?! What a nightmare - a memorable wedding for all the wrong reasons!

Becky, Aug 2, 2012
  8. Savage

MrsC2Be

Don't you think if you were going on dttb you'd have serious discussions about what you wanted beforehand?! Especially the dress!! These guys all seem to turn up completely clueless!

MrsC2Be, Aug 4, 2012
  9. Savage

Savage

That's exactly what I said to Rob! Surely you don't get engaged and not start talking almost immediately about what kind of wedding you want...I know I did! :)

Savage, Aug 5, 2012
  10. Savage

MrsGroves2B

We applied to be on Don't Tell the Bride last year, but didn't get anywhere! We knew exactly what we wanted and had loads sorted so Chris would just go along with what we wanted! To be honest I haven't watched many episodes, I like Four Weddings, but I don't watch much of that either! Hehe! I love Wedding TV on Sky, especially the ones with the cakes! I love how some of them turn out!

xx

MrsGroves2B, Aug 5, 2012
  11. Savage

C_Getty29

Everyone assumes that I'm trying to get on DTTB because I'm planning the wedding. I'm not! I get confused how some of the grooms know so little about their brides, it scares me! Everything I've planned so far Loretta has been over the moon with, but that's mainly because I know enough about her to know what she likes!

C_Getty29, Aug 9, 2012
  12. Savage

MrsGroves2B

Fair play to you, I think Its lovely to see a groom plan a wedding! As long as you and Loretta love the plans and are happy on the big day then that's all that matters! We've done all ours together pretty much, but I went to choose a style cake and he saw another one he liked, which so happened to be boxed up ready to be collected by a customer, and was in our colours, and he showed me and I loved it, so if it wasn't for him seeing that cake then we wouldn't be having it ourselves! Hehe! He's paying for everything and is in charge of the payments and when pretty much, but we're just looking for the cheapest places around and the best deals!

I think I'm having control over the bridesmaids, page boy and ring bearer outfits, and I'll let him choose the suits (albeit I advise him what looks best, overall its his choice!) Its easy for me to take over, and its hard to hold myself back! Hehe!

All the best with the plans! Hope all goes well!

MrsGroves2B, Aug 12, 2012
  13. Savage

ThisKissx

I LOVE Don't Tell The Bride and I record every episode. I usually watch in on a Sunday with the rest of my programmes :).

I think for the man to plan the whole wedding is not realistic. I see a wedding as joining together, so therefore should be planned by both the groom and bride.

But thats me....Even though my OH doesn't really want much input as he says I have much better taste.

x

ThisKissx, Oct 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question