Do They Have To Match?

Discussion in 'Wedding Fashion' started by MrsC2Be, Aug 18, 2011.

1. MrsC2Be

MrsC2Be

So we've started looking for bridesmaids dresses. My sister came with me to the dress shop the other day and tried on a couple of dresses, one of which really suited her, to the point where when I said it was out of budget, especially if I had to buy one for each BM, my Mum said "well that's ridiculous, I'll just buy them". Ha!

This is said dress. In "Iris" colour. My sister looked gorgeous and it totally flatters her figure. I've even changed my mind on colour since seeing her in it - was going to go for blue, but it was so nice, I've been swayed!

Second BM who's my lovely best mate, wasn't there however and unfortunately she's the one we might struggle in getting a dress to fit and suit, as she is blessed (cursed?) with massive boobs. She has said she won't feel comfortable in a strapless dress and that even if they make straps for the dress (dress shop lady said she could do that) it won't look right. I don't want her to be uncomfortable and would rather find something that suits her and makes her look as gorgeous as possible. If my Mum is going to spend the money, I want it to be something she can wear again and look fabulous. I also want my sister in the dress pictured above, coz she looks bloody brilliant in it and I know she loves it.

I'm of the opinion that as long as the colour is the same (and I mean THE SAME i.e. from same designer and exact same shade) they can wear different styles of dress and it'll still look fine. They'll both be in tea-length styles, and the same colour, so if the actual dress is slightly different does it matter? Mentioned this to my sister who freaked out and said they should match or it'll just look stupid. Am I being too laid back for my own good? I'm just not up for forcing someone to be uncomfortable and miserable in a dress they don't like.

There are several other options for us to go try on, thoughts would be appreciated! :)

Option 1

Option 2 - In the shorter length

Option 3 - although we're not sure about the lace on top

MrsC2Be, Aug 18, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsC2Be

juliak

I totally understand what you're saying but if the bm's are very different in shape then wearing the same dress still won't match if you know what I mean. It won't help if your second BM looks uncomfortable and has to keep feeling like she has to 'hoik' her dress up either. I know it's no help but I think you have to go with what YOU want, get the dress for your sister (it is gorgeous) and I personally think that option 1 is lovely and would suit a larger breasted lady. I also like 3, but does it come in Iris too? Have you shown your second bm the options you like? I think try them all on and see how you all feel then. Good luck!

juliak, Aug 18, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsC2Be

Zoe

I really like the 3rd choice (with the lace). It looks like it could be worn to other occasions.

On Four Weddings this week a bride had 4 bridesmaids who had same length and colour dresses, but in different styles. It looked really effective and suited each BMs body shape.

Zoe, Aug 18, 2011
  4. MrsC2Be

MrsC2Be

yeah, i basically said to her to have a look at them all and to come back to me with those she thinks would suit and we both came back with the same.

the colour isn't that much of a problem, as long as they both get the same.

MrsC2Be, Aug 18, 2011
  5. MrsC2Be

juliak

I think 1 and 3 could be re-worn for definite, not so much 2. I missed 4 weddings this week? Didn't realise it had restarted :)
    Which did she like? x

juliak, Aug 18, 2011
  6. MrsC2Be

Frogbitch

I think that if the fabric matches, then there is no problem with your bridesmaids having different dresses. I think I suggested something along those lines to Salma.
    I'm quite big up top in relation to my bottom half, and if I had to choose I would go for the second option.
    The first one is lovely, but quite low at the front, which might cause a problem, and don't forget that halter necks can make boobs look even bigger.
    I would discount the third one, not because of the lace, but because the straps are quite narrow. I always feel over exposed when I wear strappy vests in the Summer, and it would be really hard to hide bra straps.
    The second dress has wider straps, and the draping detail at the front has a similar feel to your sister's choice, which is gorgeous.

Will they be wearing similar shoes and jewellery?

Frogbitch, Aug 19, 2011
  7. MrsC2Be

juliak

See, i'm rubbish because I have tweeny breasts! Same shoes, jewellery and hair could be a tie-in if you're worried about them matching???

juliak, Aug 19, 2011
  8. MrsC2Be

lauriex

this is probably no help to you....But I have to agree with what the other ladies are saying. Go with all the same colour but styles that compliment each of your BMs body shapes and comfort levels..There's nothing worse than seeing a BM who is uncomfortable in her dress. It happened at a friends wedding where the BM actually 'spilled' out of the dress and it split! It happened just after the ceremony, it was uber embarrassing for the poor girl who just so happened to be top heavy. My friend who got married decided to ignore the pleas of her BM and she put her in a dress that was not suitable for someone with a larger bust. She had to do make shift fix with several safety pins :)

lauriex, Aug 19, 2011
  9. MrsC2Be

MrsBrown

Hi,

I think both 1 and 2 would go with your sister's choice, but not sure about number 3. I think the other 1 and 2 are very similar style and would go very well in same colour and similar accessories.

Though guess you will need to see her in the dresses too to make a decision. When you go with your mate, can your sister go back try her dress on again. Then you can see what they look like together and maybe your sister can see how it would work too?

MrsBrown, Aug 19, 2011
  10. MrsC2Be

MrsC2Be

i think its gonna be a great excuse for a girly lunch out!

The second one currently gets my vote, but it all depends on what they look/feel like on. It's not like we've not got plenty of time to get sorted :)

MrsC2Be, Aug 19, 2011
  11. MrsC2Be

SeptemberBride

I had the same problem with my best friend but in the end she did go for strapless and the lady in the shop has added straps and it looks stunning. Get her to try it and pin straps on to see how it looks, I thought it would look awful but looks perfect x

SeptemberBride, Aug 19, 2011
  12. MrsC2Be

Helen

I don't think it is a problem to have different styles, if they are all in the same colour and fabric then they will still match, if that is what you want them to do! It is rare that everyone looks good in the same dress so your way will work better than forcing someone into something they aren't comfortable with.

Get everyone together and go for a mass try on session! :)

Helen, Aug 19, 2011
  13. MrsC2Be

MrsMay2011

I think having dresses that aren't identical, but still match can look really effective. As someone has already said, having 2 bridesmainds in different dresses that suit each of them and they look amazing in would look much better than one of them looking great, but the other being uncomfortable and self concious in the same identical dress! :)

MrsMay2011, Aug 19, 2011
  14. MrsC2Be

MrsC2Be

off to show my sister this thread to be smug and prove me right and her wrong.... ha! (that's what older sisters are for, right?)

MrsC2Be, Aug 20, 2011
  15. MrsC2Be

MrsBrown

what was her response??? is she convinced??

MrsBrown, Aug 21, 2011
  16. MrsC2Be

MrsC2Be

Didn't show her, she was being a grumpy arse when I saw her lol

MrsC2Be, Aug 21, 2011
  17. MrsC2Be

Mrs T2B (Kel)

lol ! :D I agree with everyone though, same colour, same fabric, different styles is fine .. my sister had this at her wedding, although infact the fabric was totally different but the bridesmaids still looked matched in the the same hair / accessories / flowers etc...
    I kinda wished I'd done this for my BMs but my BM dresses were a total bargain, however my friend did feel uncomfortable cos she is large in the bust department and the dress was quite low cut, although I had said to her to pin the 'V' together before the day and she hadn't had the time :(

Mrs T2B (Kel), Aug 23, 2011
  18. MrsC2Be

Anon_SA

See I had same style, different colour but you do whatever you want to do!! There are NOOOOO RULES, :)

Excuse the excitement, I'm so just so pleased the new forum works on my iPad! :D

Anon_SA, Aug 24, 2011
    SeptemberBride likes this.
  19. MrsC2Be

MrsC2Be

Yay :D

So me and BM went to try on dresses today and she was much more cooperative than I thought she'd have been... She is very well endowed in the chest area (to say the least) and was quite adamant about what would suit her, what she'd be able to wear etc etc

We've narrowed it down to two dresses, either of which can be in the same colour as my sister's dress and I'm happy with whichever she decides to go with.

One is http://sophiatolli.com/item/?i=BY11162T&collection=Sophia%20Tolli%20-%20Special%20Occasion and the other is http://sophiatolli.com/item/?i=BY11181&collection=Sophia%20Tolli%20-%20Special%20Occasion which we'd have another strap added too so she can wear a proper bra and have the length altered so that it's tea length like the other.

I'd originally been quite taken with the one I posted as option 2. But in real life, it has a line that runs right across the chest, so basically anyone large chested gets their boobs cut in half in the most unflattering way!

MrsC2Be, Aug 25, 2011
  20. MrsC2Be

MrsBrown

I like them both but I think I would go for the first one. (presume she would be wearing a halter neck bra?) I liked this dress the first time round, but the other reason is that you can see what it looks like now, before alterations. I would just be a bit worried about how it would sit if if it was shortened to knee length and you cant really try it.

If you both realy prefer it, then go for it, but check out if the dress shop do it for you and how much they will charge? Also maybe asking them if have they done it before and how it worked?

Has your sister come around to different styles?

MrsBrown, Aug 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question