Do I Swtich To A Church Wedding?

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by poppleminster, Feb 17, 2011.

1. poppleminster

poppleminster

We are struggling. Every date we want either the registrar or the venue are unavailable. I'm sooooo sick of it all. Right opposite my reception venue is a beautiful little church, really quaint and has a gorgeous kissing gate at the entrance and beautiful views. We are considering ditching the super stunning Haldon Belvedere and going for a church wedding instead. It's practical as it's right by the hall so I wouldn't need to hire the old bus to move people. It's a fraction of the price of the Belvedere and it's beautiful.

Either I change or I don't get married until November or next year. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

poppleminster, Feb 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. poppleminster

MrsBoucher2B2012

sounds like a nice church, is there a date free for this year?

MrsBoucher2B2012, Feb 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. poppleminster

poppleminster

Most of them. It's a tiny hamlet with no services unless someone calls and asks for one!

Pics attached. My other venue is Haldon Belvedere

Attached Files:

4. poppleminster

poppleminster

The little hall I have my heart set on for the reception is directly opposite the church. Pics attached.

It's kind of perfect for our little quirky wedding really but... it's not the Haldon Belvedere. Do I go for the wedding of dreams or the wedding that suits my character?

Attached Files:

5. poppleminster

Frogbitch

Are you religious?

Frogbitch, Feb 17, 2011
  6. poppleminster

Anon_SA

You know what my answer is... I don't want to make your decision for you but your wedding ultimately should to reflect you and your partner and your quirkiness! In my opinion anyway.

Are there any other places maybe a little further afield worth considering that you could bus everyone to like you're intending to if you get married at the Haldon Belvedere anyway?

Anon_SA, Feb 18, 2011
  7. poppleminster

iPrincess26

Both venues are stunning and you know we won't make a decision for you, I agree with Salma that your wedding should reflect the two of you and you quirkiness but it should also be exactly what you want - as you don't want to look back on it and think I wish we had done ........ etc.

I can see how both venues would fit perfectly with what you are wanting to create but ultimately it's whats in your heart that you should listen to.

Good luck hun and let us know the outcome xxxx

iPrincess26, Feb 18, 2011
  8. poppleminster

Helen

I think the little church is very sweet. I really love churches, we just couldn't get on board with the having to go to church for 6 months which in this area you have to do although in a lot you don't, or the religious bits of the ceremony, they just weren't for us.

I also love Haldon Belvedere, it would be a fab wedding venue.

It depends whether you want to get married sooner somewhere that isn't your first choice of venue but is still lovely and you would be married sooner, or if you wanted to wait a little longer to get married somewhere that is higher up on your venue preference list.

Would you rather get married this year? Which would you regret more when you look back on it, not waiting for the Haldon Belvedere venue or waiting longer to get married?

Helen, Feb 18, 2011
  9. poppleminster

poppleminster

Thanks people. I am so torn. I'm not the most religious person but am also not anti-religion and Ben is the same. One of my close friends is a vicar and we always have the agreement that I ask him questions he can't answer and he throws the moral advantages of religion at me! The church has no vicar so they order one in (not sure that is the correct term), when anyone wants something doing and they have no requirement for us to go to church ourselves.

The Belvedere is amazing on a totally different level. It's for the big posh wedding of dreams but when it comes down to it, that's just not me. I think secretly Ben has his heart set on it though in which case I will wait until it all ties together. It's one of the only things he's had a vocal opinion about, he loves the place more than the church I think.

I'm the practical, lazy one that likes the idea of a small church service in the pretty but tiny church then crossing the road with no hassle of transport and being all chilled and relaxed. The Haldon Belvedere has a holiday apartment that can be booked so we could book it as our mini honeymoon. That way the awesome tower is all ours for the weekend - apart from the day when there is a wedding there already, but we;ll be off at our own and they'd be gone before we got back.

There is a film called Sky West and Crooked with Hayley Mills. She plays a girl that is kind of different to all the other village kids and does things like make graves for all the dead pets / roadkill / poachers pheasants she can find in the little church yard. She falls in love with a gypsy boy and the only person that accepts them is the vicar. He gives her an area of the churchyard just to make little graves for animals and it's very silly but one of my all time favourite films. This little church is exactly like the one in the film.

Not saying I want to bury the ham in the churchyard but it's a very early memory I have of watching the Monday Matinee film that my mum always used to watch whilst ironing. I must have been really little but when I bought it recently, I had remembered it all correctly. At the oldest, I could have been 4 or 5 as after that I was at school. My mum died when I was 13 and I have few memories that aren't full of illness and tension. I love that little church simply because of that memory. Same reason I love all things knitted and 1940's and The Beatles and all sorts of things. They all link to happy memories.

I'm not sure how long someone can hang on to memories before having to let go. I'm not sure it should even influence my decision as ultimately, my mum wont be there. Harsh but true. Getting married is one of the few times as an adult that I really, really notice how much I miss my family.

poppleminster, Feb 18, 2011
  10. poppleminster

Sez

aww... i'm feeling emotional today anyway (who knows why) but your story nearly tipped me over the edge! Tell Ben thats how you feel and see what he says, but ultimatley only you can decide where you get married, no regrets

Sez, Feb 18, 2011
  11. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Popple, could yr friend marry you in this church??? Hubbie is not at all religous and we have a complicated background and cross faith mix so marrying in church would have been akward. The venue we found had a churchy feel without the religion. But i am sure you will know when the decison is right for you... Failing that toss a coin ha ha??????

MrsBrown, Feb 18, 2011
  12. poppleminster

poppleminster

I hadn't thought of that! However it looks like we have put the wedding back to it's original place of Sep 2012 :(

poppleminster, Feb 28, 2011
  13. poppleminster

MrsC2Be

Sorry to hear that Popple, maybe something will sort itself out in the mean time.

The time will fly by :( x

MrsC2Be, Mar 1, 2011
  14. poppleminster

Helen

If you can get the wedding you want in 2012 it won't be so bad waiting, the time will soon go by :(

Helen, Mar 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question