Did You Get The Wedding You Dreamed Of First Time Round?

Discussion in 'Second Time Around' started by Helen, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Helen

Helen

I have not been married before although I was previously engaged and had planned the wedding and bought things for it including the dress etc.

When I was planning that wedding and I was choosing things I wanted, for example I wanted a winter wedding with rich deep colours and I had a dark navy long sleeved wedding dress (I did want it dark green but it wouldn't have gone with the colour scheme we were having).

So this time round it is sort of like I have had my first choices without actually having had them if that makes sense? If I had said I wanted another winter wedding I would have loved a dress the same as the last one but in dark green but I felt that it would have been too similar and therefore unfair to have it? So when I've chosen things for this wedding I have picked completely different styles etc so I was just wondering if anyone else has done the same?

Did you have things you wanted first time around? If not was it easier second time to choose the day you wanted?

Luckily there are so many styles and themes that you can have I've found it quite easy to choose something I love.

Have any of you had to tell your other half you don't want things he has picked as you had them at your previous wedding?

What do you think?

Helen, Feb 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Helen

iPrincess26

As you know I was in the same situation as you Helen - and with talk of marriage again now, I really want things to be different to what I had planned last time, and they are going to be! I have found this easy though as this time it's both of us who are planning things and having some input and therefore joint decisions opposed to last time when it was all me - although I may use the same photographer (he still has my deposit as hasn't rebooked the date yet so hope he might transfer it!) and I love his photo style.

It's all been good so far as OH hasn't suggested anything that I had chosen for the previous one. The only worry I have is how people will react when we tell them we are getting married (especially as we have only been together 6 months - but it feels so right and the OH has already called me his wife when talking to people as it just feels right - so hopefully the people we care about will be happy for us, just have to wait and see!)

iPrincess26, Feb 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Helen

MrsC2Be

Amy - we got engaged after being together just 5 months, we weren't even living together. The people that love you will know how happy you are and that its right for you. Some people might have thought we were rushing, but the most important people were nothing but supportive ;)

MrsC2Be, Feb 5, 2011
  4. Helen

Helen

I was worried about telling people I had got engaged again which made things quite awkward between me and oh as he was telling everyone straight away and thought I wasn't because I didn't really want to marry him etc rather than me just being embarassed I'd made such a mess of the first time and been made a fool of.

Most people were fine about it and never mentioned it, although I did get a few snide comments from family members saying things like well it this going to be better than last time, or I suppose you are old enough this time (despite me not being 'young' the first time!) etc but sadly my family are a bit like that at times.

I think you just have to be thick skinned and do what you want to do, when it comes down to it it is not really any of their business.

Helen, Feb 6, 2011
  5. Helen

Frogbitch

I've had two weddings, 18 years apart. In that time, not only had my tastes changed, but also the way in which weddings are planned in general, so there was no real conflict.

My parents paid for most things first time around, and so chose the venue and had final say on most things. It was a very traditional day, as weddings very much were back then, and everything we chose was done by recommendation and was influenced by what I saw in wedding magazines. I can't imagine now having to plan a wedding with no internet!

This time around I had my own budget, and was confident enough in myself to put Russ' and my own stamp on things.

There were a few similarities. Both my dresses were a similar shape, with strong colour on the top half.
    I think though that my first wedding was very much what my family told me a wedding SHOULD be, and this time I got the wedding I wanted.

Frogbitch, Feb 6, 2011
  6. Helen

Frogbitch

Ha ha!!!!
    Here's my dress the first time around!

[​IMG]

URL=http://www.bigday.co.uk/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=286][​IMG][/URL]

I look about 12!

Frogbitch, Feb 6, 2011
  7. Helen

poppleminster

HILARIOUS! I have everything different second time round as I am doing what I wanted. One big thing I learned was that it's not worth scrimping on something if you really have your heart set on it. For me this is the little things, my jewellery, having someone do my hair etc. Last time I thought of them as a bit frivolous so saved money by having less and regreted it every time I saw the photos. This time I am spending way less on flowers - last time I never even noticed them in the room or over the arches etc yet it was a huge part of my budget.

poppleminster, Feb 6, 2011
  8. Helen

Helen

FB my aunt had a wedding dress very similar to that! I remember being her bridesmaid in an awful sack of a dress :)

Helen, Feb 7, 2011
  9. Helen

muckypaws

was gonna say stuff then realised your now a MRS ha ha

muckypaws, May 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question