Cupcake Help Please!

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by ilovepink1984, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

Hi lovely ladies. Thought my planning was coming along nicely and have now had a setback :D . H2B really wants cupcakes instead of a traditional wedding cake. I'm not particularly fussed either way as I'm not a huge cake fan anyway and as its the only thing he seems to have got interested in we started taking a look. The bridal shop recommended two places to look in our area. One we ruled out for price and I booked an appointment with the other. She sounded lovely on the phone and we were promised an hour long consultation where we took along pics of flowers, BMs dresses etc so she could see the theme and recommend flavours, icing, decorations etc. This sounded brill as we didn't have a clue on any of this. We booked a month in advance but after this I heard nothing from her. Emailed and phoned numerous times with no replies ie. to confirm date and time, what she needed us to take along etc. To be fair she was in the process of setting up her own bakery as previously she was working from her home kitchen so I thought she was just extremely busy. Anyway, the day before we are meant to go I got a curt email saying I hadn't confirmed a time so she had offered our appointment to someone else. I was fuming as we had been waiting a month and wanted to get it sorted out. Called her and she was apologetic saying she hadn't received any contact and we rearranged the appointment for a further 3 weeks away. Same thing happened again. Her last email to be said 'I've put you in the diary for the 6th June at 11am. I'll be in contact soon to confirm what to bring with you'.

Anyway, hadn't heard from her AGAIN so emailed and phoned to confirm and she said that she had been trying to email and call my house and mobile to confirm the date/time etc but now she was too busy to see us and had weddings booked until Feb 2011 so can't see us anymore. She also said that she doesn't normally rearrange appointments so never should have seen us again in the first place even though it was her fault! I'm so angry with her and I've been crying all weekend! Sad I know! We have 4 and a half months to go and this was the last major thing to organise - other than rings - and she has constantly let us down, was rude and tryed to make out I was in the wrong. H2b is also fuming. I know I've probably had a lucky escape as she could have caused us stress running up to the wedding if I couldn't contact her but now I don't know what to do! I have no idea what style of cake, flavours, coloured icing etc etc I want. One of my mum's friends daughters has offered to make them for us which in the long run will save us money. I've seen some pics of previous cakes shes made and they look lovely. My only problem is is that she just wants us to tell her what we want rather than give us a consultation like the woman above was supposed to do. I have no idea what will look and taste good so I need help!

Anyone got any suggestions on where to look for ideas for wedding cupcakes? Flavour suggestions. I think I would like 2 different types/flavours/icing but don't know if this will look right? My BMs dresses and colour scheme is raspberry pink so I think pink icing on all the cakes will be way OTT, so many half of them, but then what else? Argh, its making me so stressed! I've googled ckae makers around my area - Oxfordshire - but nothing is standing out. I need inspiration!

Thanks in advacne - sorry for the long post xxx

ilovepink1984, Jun 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. ilovepink1984

MrsBoucher2B2012

If your just looking for ideas on flavours and designs then how about these

My link

crumbs and doilies is pretty good
    My link

This one is meant to be in Oxfordshire so not sure if this is the one you have looked at
    My link

Hope this helps sorry if it doesnt

MrsBoucher2B2012, Jun 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. ilovepink1984

vhc

:9 for you.

what a stupid woman - new to setting up in business, but throwing away business when you want her help! :D

vhc, Jun 7, 2010
  4. ilovepink1984

MrsBrown

sounds like you had a lucky escape. When I went to see my cake maker she had lots of magazines and books, which we looked at for ideas. Maybe your libary has some or you could get a magazine!

MrsBrown, Jun 7, 2010
  5. ilovepink1984

Mrs T2B (Kel)

what colour is your dress? could you have a mixture of ivory/cream and pink icing, or what about your flowers?

If your colour scheme is pink then don't worry about having pink icing!

Have a look at the cupcakes by Queenies CupCakery.. they are the ladies doing our cupcakes :D

Queenies on Facebook

I'm not sure if they would / are able to post to Oxfordshire or not, but even if not at least you can look at some pics

Mrs T2B (Kel), Jun 7, 2010
  6. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

Hi ladies, thanks for your help :lol: Kel, my dress is pale ivory and my flowers are hot pink David Austin roses, and BMs are cream. At the moment - after an afternoon of research and getting increasingly hungry!! - I think I am leaning towards two types of cupcake. A chocolate cake with cream buttercream and an edible pink rose to match my flowers and a simple sponge cake with pink icing and not sure what on top yet!! Queenies looks ace, pity its so far away!! :D

Something like these maybe? What do we think?!?

[​IMG] But with pink flowers?
    [​IMG] This looks pretty?

[​IMG] This on a choc cake?

[​IMG] These look nice together?

Sorry about massive pics xxx

7. ilovepink1984

MrsBoucher2B2012

They all look so yummy, i am now very hungry thanks[​IMG].
    Glad you were able to come up with something

MrsBoucher2B2012, Jun 7, 2010
  8. ilovepink1984

MrsBrown

I want those cakes now!!

MrsBrown, Jun 7, 2010
  9. ilovepink1984

Mrs T2B (Kel)

I love the third pic down.. those are fabulous looking .. simple and not too over the top, but still fab! either choc or vanilla sponge with choc or vanilla icing.

Sometimes cupcakes look so intricate I don't want to eat them, just look at them! [​IMG]

Mrs T2B (Kel), Jun 7, 2010
  10. ilovepink1984

Mrsg2b2011

Aaah hun, you poor thing!!! All those pics look GORGEOUS!!! I would defo go with something like that. You can get edible glitter to sprinkle on aswell if you want that sort of thing they sell all that sort of stuff in hobbycraft.
    Hope it all works out ok for you hun xxx

Ps you should name & shame the lady. I know she is setting up a new business but that is no excuse! If anything she should be bending over backwards to keep everyone happy as word of mouth is what will give her, her most business!! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 7, 2010
  11. ilovepink1984

Becky

That woman doesn't deserve the business if she's going to be so rude!! Lucky escape!

I think you've come up with some really good ideas - I like the idea of chocolate cupcakes with cream-coloured icing topped with a pink flower, and vanilla cupcakes topped with pink icing and a cream flower. It would look gorgeous and match the rest of your colour theme perfectly :D

Becky, Jun 7, 2010
  12. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

Thank you everyone. I'm probably one of the most uncreative people in the world so its good to know my ideas will look good!! I will let you know what we have decided on when I speak to what is hopefully to be our new cake lady!!! I'm also going to have a small, sponge cutting cake on the top with 3 pink roses to match my bouquet so hopefully this will all tie in nicely. Thanks again lovely people :D xxx

13. ilovepink1984

juliak

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been treated that way Ilovepink, if it makes you feel better that womans' business isn't going far the way she appears to be treating people!
    I think all of the pics you have posted are absolutely lovely, you may not believe you have a creative streak but i'm sure you can picture what you want and that is all you need to guide your cakemaker, who will also advise you and give you inspiration!
    We too are having cupcakes, thankfully being made by a friend. We are having a gold and black theme. Gold cupcake cases, vanilla sponge with chocolate buttericing coloured with black food colouring, gold chocolate flower on top of each all sprinkled with gold edible glitter! Not sure about a topper yet but i'm sure we'll figure something out..
    Good luck xx

juliak, Jun 8, 2010
  14. ilovepink1984

poppleminster

If I was closer i'd do them for you as I make cupcakes for a hobby. I'd recommend an irridescent edible glitter too because it cannot be seen at first then ever so slightly shimmers under light and i really beautiful. I've got loads if you wanted me to send you some and you can add it youself as some people charge lots extra for it but it costs practically nothing for a big tub!

Glad you found someone to help :)

poppleminster, Jun 8, 2010
    ilovepink1984 likes this.
  15. ilovepink1984

poppleminster

Oh and shop on Amazon for the stands - search cupcake stands and cake stands seperately as there are load on cheap at the moment there :)

poppleminster, Jun 8, 2010
  16. ilovepink1984

juliak

Poppleminster is right re amazon. I managed to get my cupcake stand from there for under £20, normally they are £30 + p&p. It holds 36 and it's from a company called Miniamo. x

juliak, Jun 8, 2010
  17. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

Thanks for all the tips ladies. Feel much better about it all now and its going to cost us less as well although we will have the added stress of transporting the cupcakes and setting up ourselves which the original lady would have done for us.:) However, I'm going to ask my aunt if she would do this for me as she used to make cakes for people and knows what looks best, unlike me!! Thats if she has time - she is notoriously hours late to everything!! Not sure if I need to buy a stand or whether the lady has one but I will def look at ebay if we need to get one. Thanks again :D xxx

ilovepink1984, Jun 9, 2010
  18. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

[​IMG]

The bottom right looks pretty, look like it has some sparkle on it?

Im thinking chocolate spong with ivory buttercream as above with some sparkle? And a vanilla spong with pink icing and a rose on top?
    What about case colours? xxx

ilovepink1984, Jun 9, 2010
  19. ilovepink1984

Mrsg2b2011

They look stunning!! LOVE the rose one on bottom right too. It defo looks like it has some glitter on which looks lovely as its so subtle but as poppleminster said it will just catch the light & look even more yummy!

Mmmm cupcakes....its making me so hungry now. Noramlly I would go & bake a cake as bubba is having morning nap but my oven broke on Monday!!!! :blink:
    x

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 9, 2010
  20. ilovepink1984

Becky

They look so pretty - I especially like the rose one that you pointed out. In terms of case colours, the pink ones in that picture look pretty, but I quite like plain white ones and the colour of the cake can show through :lol:

Becky, Jun 9, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question