Cupcake / Faircake Wedding Cake?

Discussion in 'DIY Wedding' started by gozzle, May 1, 2010.

1. gozzle

gozzle

Hello, this is my first post here so I hope I've done it right!

I'm thinking about making lots of really nice cupcakes instead of a big wedding cake, as it will be much cheaper and its also fun to do. I was thinking about making 5 types so that there is lots of choice and people can try a few different ones if they are greedy.

Do you have any suggestions on what types I should make?

So far I have thought of:

• Chocolate sponge with chocolate orange buttercream icing
    • Carrotcake with lime icing sugar top
    Is it also worth making a gluten free type, or is that even possible? I don't know if there will be people with allergies but I have asked on the invites.

gozzle, May 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. gozzle

gozzle

Ohhhh I have just seen a picture of this chocolate orange one:

308512850_105f41455c.jpg

Now that's what I like!

gozzle, May 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. gozzle

fall3n-ang3l

what about a lemon flavoured one but if you make all different flavours then will your guest want to try every flavour?

sarah

fall3n-ang3l, May 1, 2010
  4. gozzle

cm82

How about blueberry with a cheesecake type icing or lemon meringue? I have a recipe for the meringue topping somewhere if you want it.

cm82, May 1, 2010
  5. gozzle

MrsStanding2Be

Ohhhh, I'm going to make some cupcakes for our wedding (trying to be creative hehehe) i was to have a chocolate sponge but fill it with something, our familys are not very "fruity" people lol, i'm also struggling to find purple icing i'm not actually making them for a while just want to get ideas [​IMG]

BTW those chocolate oranges cupcakes look the business!

MrsStanding2Be, May 1, 2010
  6. gozzle

airy_fairy

Plain sponge with plain vanilla butter cream iciing with edible glitter looks like it was much more difficult to make than it is :)
    toffee chunks in mix, toffee flav. icing and a dried bannana slice? Cupcake Banoffee!!
    lemon flavor sponge with plain icing and crystalized fruits to decorate?
    Chilli chocolate cake with dark choc butter cream icing and a chilli choc on top? - you know the men would love them!

Gosh, I'm enjoying this! What are your wedding colours - maybe we can come up with themed cupcakes!

airy_fairy, May 1, 2010
  7. gozzle

MrsStanding2Be

My colours are purple and white!,

8. gozzle

gozzle

I love these ideas, thank you!!! The cupcake banoffee is my fav so far, yum yum yum. :)

I'm going for blue and silver, but I can't think of many blue flavours other than blueberry, so I'm going for whatever tastes nice.

gozzle, May 1, 2010
  9. gozzle

MrsStanding2Be

Ditto lol

10. gozzle

airy_fairy

Ok, purples

Lavender and Chocolate - a big fav. of Napoleon
    Parma violets in the mix with plain vanilla icing and more parma violets to decorate
    you could use edible pansy flowers to decorate plain choc or vanilla cupcakes - these come in purples & blues (for mrs standing to be!)

Blues, you could have plain cupcakes with vanilla icing and small blue flowers cut out of an icing sheet and then plain cupcakes with blue icing and small white flowers? you could get some of those silver balls too :)

airy_fairy, May 1, 2010
    gozzle likes this.
  11. gozzle

gozzle

airy_fairy, what a clever idea... Parma violets! You are a genius :) I might use some as mini wedding favours too.

gozzle, May 4, 2010
  12. gozzle

vhc

that's a good idea to go along the theme of purple, but can I just add that I really really hate parma violets: the smell makes me queasy.
    [​IMG]

I don't know how many other people feel this way, but it migth be worth thinking about having the parma violet-scented stuff in wrapping so it doesn't cause mass vomitting!

[​IMG]

vhc, May 4, 2010
  13. gozzle

Jaimie

Hey

I am also thinking of having cupcakes at my wedding. I came across an amazing cupcake website at crumbsanddoilies.co.uk when i began looking for ideas for cupcakes. Theres loadsa pictures on there. They look beautiful. It's given me loads of ideas. They have some flavour ideas on there too. I was given a cupcake cookbook for my birthday (think its good housekeeping cakes, bakes & cupcakes but i'm not 100% sure) that has some good flavour ideas. think my favourite atm has to be raspberry ripple :) my friend made cupcakes to bring into work the other day, she did a lemon cupcake with lime and coconut icing and they were to die for!

J x

Jaimie, May 6, 2010
  14. gozzle

juliak

I'm having cupcakes too! Luckily I have a friend who makes divine cakes. My theme is black, white and silver and i'm really looking forward to decorating them. Does anyone know where I can get a metal cupcake stand for at least 30 cupcakes for under £30.00?
    It might be wise to check no-one has a nut allergy either, I have to be careful as my son does. Good luck!

juliak, May 12, 2010
  15. gozzle

gozzle

That cupcake site looks edible! yum yum yum :D The pic on the wedding page is just the sort of thing I am after. Have you tried any of the cupcakes from there?

I had a quick look for you juliak (welcome to the site :D) and I found this:

http://www.originalcookware.co.uk/cupcake-stand-for-36-cakes-by-miniamo-2804-p.asp

It does 36 cupcakes for £26.50. I might look at getting one of these myself.

gozzle, May 12, 2010
  16. gozzle

juliak

Thanks ever so much gozzle! That's the cheapest i've seen that one, h2b likes it too. I looked at cupcakes and doilies too, how gorgeous are their cupcakes, they look great, unfortunately we live too far away from there so it would cost a fortune!

juliak, May 12, 2010
  17. gozzle

gozzle

No problem Julia :) I found some cheaper but they only held 23 cakes. Glad it was of some use!

gozzle, May 13, 2010
  18. gozzle

juliak

Gozzle, Amazon currently have the miniamo cupcake stand for 33 cakes for under £20 now, I've just ordered it and it's free p&p!

juliak, May 17, 2010
  19. gozzle

gozzle

Thanks! That's a real bargain! :( :D :D

gozzle, May 17, 2010
  20. gozzle

Becky Administrator

Just had a look at crumbsanddoilies.co.uk - they look delish! All this talk is making my mouth water... [​IMG]

Becky, May 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question