Creative Gift Idea To Celebrate A New Birth

Discussion in 'Pregnancy, Babies and Children' started by MrsGroves2B, Jun 9, 2010.

1. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Hello all!

Just wondered if there is anyone on here that is creative and can give me some ideas?

Basically my maid of honour is pregnant and is having a baby boy due in September. She has a 9 year old son already, and he is really excited to be having a baby brother! My maid of honour is like my big sister to me, so not only do I want to get her and her husband something but I want to get a little something for the baby and also something for her 9 year old son.

I've recently gone on a man spree at Hobbycraft as I want to get into card making, and spotted some plain white cardboard square keepsake boxes/memory boxes. My idea is to decorate it (wrap it up in baby blue paper or baby boy wrapping paper, baby's name and photo, things like that). I picked one up as they were on a clearance section. My idea was to decorate it and give it to the 9 year old son to put things in, but start it off for him by putting things such as a newspaper from the day his baby brother was born, etc, then let him put things inside it over time, then in the future he can choose what to do with it, for example give it his brother on a big Birthday. I thought this was a way for him to have a gift but also something that he could do himself. After thought and discussion I fear that this may not be suitable for him, but more suitable for the new parents, which leaves me in a pickle as to what to do!

I've not made anything yet, I'm still in design mode, but would like some ideas. Should I stick to my original idea and give the 9 year old son a keepsake/memory box to put things in of his baby brother, or give it to the new parents?

Can anyone think of any other ideas as to what to make and give to the 9 year old son?

Any help will be very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Becky!
    xxxx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 9, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsGroves2B

Scarlett~lady

you have some fab ideas ! I love the keepsake box idea, but I think the parents would appreciate that more than their nine year old son. I would think, the best thing you could do for him, (if you have a fairly good relationship with the son) organise a day to take him to say GAME or somewhere like that and let him get away from the house for a little bit and feel special, get him the game or gift of his choice and take him for a mac donalds, what could be better for a nine year old ???

I had a baby nearly six months ago now, and my best friend also my maid of honour brought me a gift basket after Scarlett was born, not for the baby but for me!! full of all the things I couldn't eat when I was pregnant, i.e Smoked Salmon, Prawns, Goats Cheese, wine etc mmmmm there was nothing better she could have bought me it was fantastic!

Good luck
    Shes very lucky to have a friend like you xx

Scarlett~lady, Jun 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsGroves2B

Becky Administrator

I agree with Scarlett~Lady - something to make the 9 yr old feel special sounds like a great idea. There will be so much attention on the baby that he's bound to feel left out, and a present that is for him alone will probably go down well :blink:

Becky, Jun 12, 2010
  4. MrsGroves2B

poppleminster

How about making him a scrapbook? A little memory book might be cool combined with a day out? If you were to take pics of him with the new baby then put then call the book something that tells him what a cool big brother he is then he'd not feel left out but you'd still have done something creative for him. You could make it a little book with just a few pages so it's just about him remembering the day he met the baby and not focusing just on the baby itself.
    :blink:

poppleminster, Jun 12, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question