Choosing A Dj

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by hpsauce84, Jun 4, 2010.

1. hpsauce84

hpsauce84

Hello everyone,

We have been getting lots of quotes from various DJs for our wedding and they vary from £150 to £350! Neither of us has ever booked a DJ before and don't really know what we should be asking or how to decide who to go for! I'm just wondering if any of you have any tips or advice on how to decide? How did you all decide who to book for your evening entertainment? :)

hpsauce84, Jun 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. hpsauce84

*Pink-bride*

best tip is to ask if you can go see them when they are doing someone else's party
    xx

*Pink-bride*, Jun 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. hpsauce84

MrsBrown

Does your venue have a list of DJ's? But I agree with pink bride I would want to listen to them. You could also ask them about the music they have? Make sure they have stuff to your taste. I went to a wedding on sunday and they played that Mcdonalds, kentucy fried chciken, pizza hut song!! The bride looked a bit horrified. ha ha.. (though the kids loved it)

We are having a ceildh for our wedding, though might put a cd of cheesy pop together for when they have their break (its not a wedding without a little cheesy pop ha ha!!)

MrsBrown, Jun 5, 2010
  4. hpsauce84

MrsBoucher2B2012

Our reception venue have their own tame DJ so we are have him for about £140, ask your venue they might be able to suggest some.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Jun 5, 2010
  5. hpsauce84

TheFunkyPenguin

Regarding the tip about asking the DJ if you can view them at somebody else's party; this isn't always possible. Think about whether you'd be happy if the DJ you select invites complete strangers to come into your wedding to watch him perform? You might be OK with that but many brides are not.

I am a DJ and I also run an entertainment company supplying various acts, so am obviously knowledgeable of this market. A few suggestions:

Ask for testimonials and whether you're able to contact any of the people that have given the testimonials.

Ask whether they will give you a detailed booking form which has to be signed by both parties and whether a deposit is required. If they don't ask for a deposit you can't be certain that they won't just take a higher paying job on the same day?

Ask if they're prepared to meet with you before your big day to chat about the music and other aspects of the event. This is one of the most important things to ask, because when you meet you should be able to get a feel of what that person is like- do they come across as being professional, do they sound like they know what they're talking about, do they give you confidence that they'll do a good job and that they'll both play the music you like and not play the music you and H2B dislike which is just as important!

Do they have a good music knowledge.

Do they talk on the microphone between every song? you might be ok with a DJ that does that but many people hate that style of DJ. On the other hand some DJs are terrified of the mic which can result in an awful introduction of your first dance and won't encouraging people onto the dance floor.

Get a feel for whether the DJ genuinely loves what he does or whether he's just doing it for the money - this can make a tremendous difference to how well he performs on the night.

Regarding price; this varies enormously and depends on the area you live and the quality you're looking for. As a generalisation prices tend to be higher in London and the south-east and are lower the further away you get with the exception of some of the other big cities. I have no idea of where you are based so can't give you an indication of prices in your area. MrsBoucher2b mentioned that her venue is supplying a DJ for only £140. This is an EXTREMELY low price and in the South-east there is no chance of finding a "good/professional" DJ for anywhere near as low as that. You also need to be a little wary of some DJs that insist on you using their DJ as this won't necessarily mean that it is a good DJ.

In London and surrounding areas a good/professional DJ will generally be between £400 and £700. It is possible to find a good DJ at a lower price than that but most DJs that are priced lower than that in this region will not offer many of the suggestions above and some tend to be the fly-by-night type.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask questions on any of the above. We have an FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) on our site of the questions that brides have asked us in the past, and this covers most things. I won't paste the site address because I guess that may be seen as spamming but feel free to send me a message and I'll send you a link.

TheFunkyPenguin, Jun 5, 2010
  6. hpsauce84

Becky

Thank you for the advice FunkyPenguin - some useful tips there :)

Becky, Jun 6, 2010
  7. hpsauce84

MrsStanding2Be

I got my dj for £350 including 10 uplighters!, this is the cheapest i have managed to find, most are in the £400-£500 range!, i did ask our venue but the best the could do was £400 without uplighters thats just djing

MrsStanding2Be, Jun 6, 2010
  8. hpsauce84

hpsauce84

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Our venue has given us one contact who they sometimes use but we wanted to get a few more quotes to compare first. Ideally we would love to find a DJ who someone recommends to us but we don't know anyone or the area where we are getting married at all! If anyone has any recommendations in the Wiltshire/Hampshire area please let me know! :)

hpsauce84, Jun 6, 2010
  9. hpsauce84

TheFunkyPenguin

Oops, just re-read this and realised I should've checked it before posting! The above should read:

You also need to be a little wary of some venues that insist on you using their DJ as this won't necessarily mean that it is a good DJ.

I can recommend 2 DJs that cover that area; Brian Mole of Dancemix, and Steve Hoare of First Dance DJs neither of them are cheap but they're both very good. I would urge you though to not just choose based on price. A good DJ will make a tremendous difference to the success of the night; the difference between having an OK night or all your friends and family remembering your wedding for years to come because they had such a good night by paying say £50/£100 more.
    We also cover that area but I think our prices are above what you are budgeting for.
    Good luck, hope you find a great DJ and have a superb night.

TheFunkyPenguin, Jun 6, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question