Choosing A Band / Entertainment

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by dan175, Jan 7, 2014.

1. dan175

dan175

Entertainment is very important part of your special day. Having had a band at my wedding and having been in entertainment industry for many years I have decided to share my experience with brides and grooms to be.

There's many bands out there to choose from. Do your own research and make a list of things that you need. You should know which sort of music band should play (soul, motown, funk, disco, rock, jazz, chart hits...), what size of the band you are after and how long should they play for (standard is 2x 1 hours).

Funk, soul and motown bands are usually bigger (5 piece plus) comparing to rock bands which can be 3 piece. Number of musicians will definitely increase the quality, fill in the sound but also increase the cost. It is completely different experience having a 3 piece band and having a 6 piece or bigger band with brass section, keyboard and additional vocalists.
    Once you make your decision, this should narrow down your search.

When choosing a band, important things to look at are: have they got professional website rather then a facebook page? This should tell you how dedicated and professional they are. What is their page like? Is there any video's of live performance? Live performance is what you really need to see rather then listening to studio records which are edited and will not give you real sound of the band.

What they look like and what is their image? Are they scruffy men wearing tank tops and jeans or they put effort to look professional?
    All this details can give you a lot of information about the band.

What is their repertoire (song list)? Some people prefer to have one or two similar styles of music for the evening (for example soul & motown, rock & blues) rather then have a band which will play all different genres track after track.

What equipment are they using? This is so important. Nothing worse then having a cheap PA system or a band which is struggling to get a good sound (not too quiet, not too loud, no distortion). I've seen so many band having issues with this.

Always try to see your potential band playing live. Most of the bands have public gigs (pubs and clubs). Great opportunity to see what are they like.

Wedding band should be happy to learn your first dance and provide DJ service. Most of the bands will include this in to their service.

Professional bands should provide you with the contract and have public liability.

Remember that agents will charge their fees on top of their fees. There are some good agents but there are also so many of them just interested in fees rather then clients.

I am always happy to talk to anyone and give impartial advice. I've been in business for many years, currently with Le Freak Band from Hampshire.
    Please ask anything about bands or entertainment and I will be more then happy to help!

All the best

dan175, Jan 7, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. dan175

Araby Eveline

Very good advice - especially the technical equipment and general appearance!

Araby Eveline, Feb 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. dan175

melbaker

This is excellent advice. I've seen some shoddy bands and was concerned that there weren't any great ones around but I totally agree about seeing them live. Some word-of-mouth comments are a big help too

melbaker, Feb 24, 2014
  4. dan175

beth1978

Good advise, I would always go with a band that is professional and plays weddings regularly, check out there facebook etc and check they are professional

beth1978, Aug 5, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question