Chinese Buffet And Other Such Stuff

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by poppleminster, Aug 18, 2010.

1. poppleminster

poppleminster

Given that I am finding it hard to locate a venue that will alloow me to do my own catering, I am considering the following plan.

We have approx 40-50 guests

1330 meet up for picnic at the Haldon Belvedere grounds before the wedding
    1415 I go and get into my dress (am doing my own make-up and hair so wont take long and as I am staying at the belvedere the night before, would all be laid out ready
    1500 get hitched ;)
    1600 25 people got to small village hall and have the Enid Blyton tea I want. Just close friends and family.
    1900 go back to the Haldon Belvedere and get changed
    2030 meet up with all friends and family, including those not at the tea at the chinese buffet we like for a hasle free instant meal and a relaxing evening.

Pros
    Considerably cheaper than a hotel and the food is really good at the one I am thinking of and only £9.99 per head for as much as they want.
    Retaurant is in a nice area of Exeter and close to all main hotels, stations and bus routes.
    I get to have my special high tea on a smaller scale but with those I really love so can put more effort into less people - if that makes sense?
    I know of a perfect hall that can only seat 25 and is only £35 to hire for the day.
    Best of both worlds, weddingy formalish tea and totally informal evening meal.
    People will buy their own drinks - and hopefully mine!

Cons
    I have to set up the hall in the morning - although Ben and I think this should be fun. We've got loads of cool props.
    I need to rely on someone to collect the food - cheese cake and wedding cake and my baked hams etc.
    Will people read the invite and say omething like "oh my god what a tight cow she's doing the stuff-your-face chinese"?

Can I really do this? What made me think about it was the whole room hire charge thing. Paying to hire the room when also paying the menu price seems madness at hotels. I cannot believe they charge when you are booking the whole restaurant anyway! So I decided to look at just restaurants as then i'd not have the stupid hire charge but don't want to lose my dream of the Enid Blyton theme. I think the older folk will love the tea and then go home leaving the party animals to get kitted up and go out later.

Really, really can I do this? It just seems so logical! Approx 30 people for the evening @ £10 per head? £300 or £1800 quoted by the cheapest hotel i've found. This has to be a good idea so why am I not already calling the chinese to book?

poppleminster, Aug 18, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. poppleminster

LoubieLou

I love it but if you found a hall that worked you could hire a marquee and put it on the grounds of the hall or at a hotel ask if you can put a marquee in their ground then you an have the enid blyton tea in the englsh countryside put up fairy lights on the marquee so when it gets dark its all magical and do the chinese there.

LoubieLou, Aug 18, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. poppleminster

poppleminster

Marquee hire is madly expensive. Then add the table and chair hire etc and most places only let you use their caterers and I doubt i'd get one to do it for a tenner a head. I wanted a marquee on a farm originally but the cheapest quote locally was over £4000 :( It seems rural wedding are all the rage a they are as expensive as the big hotels.

Thank you for the ideas, I will keep searching. I kind of like the idea of two very different environments to reflect our playful side and our casual side. We are sooooooo not formal people. Traditional in some respects but not remotely formal. We're roleplayers. I guess that says it all really!

I loved our first venue as it meant we could all stay over in the same place and have breakfast with our guests in the morning but I guess we could always meet up at Ben's mums house for lunch instead. That would be cool. We aren't going on honeymoon so it'd be nice to see people before they all disperse back from whence they came.

This whole venue thing is really getting me down. I was so loving the first place then the second wasn't what i'd wanted but the man there was really helpful and nice and now that place is booked solid for Sep and first half of Oct and I am just wanting to know what I am doing so that I can keep planning. Grrr grrr and more grrrrrrrr. I know I have 2 yrs to go but I loved knowing it was sorted and having the dream in my head of what I was doing for room decs etc.

(This is the time to completely ignore me as I am the queen of sulking. I do the miserable goth look well when required).

;) Feel better now! Rant over.

4. poppleminster

poppleminster

I explain my mood swings today on it being my period. Just when I have to go away for the weekend to a place with no electric and eco-toilets outside in little scary huts with no lights. I need chocolate and I need it now. I have a pack of minstrels here somewhere and can I find them? Can I hell. Damn the nasty round choc objectss of desire that withold their presence from my sight. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

5. poppleminster

poppleminster

THUD THUD THUD

(that was the sound of me chucking all my toys out of the pram).

;)

6. poppleminster

poppleminster

THUD

Sorry, i'd forgotten that one.

7. poppleminster

LoubieLou

What about a cricket field. Thats where ours is. My friend is selling her marquee after we use it for £100. I'm sure she would let you have it! Then you can sell it on after or keep it and let friends use it. Its all packed up an approx meter long box. If it will help... I cant remember the size right now but its not a massive one so could work maybe with a small one from argos. Just throwing more ideas out there =)

LoubieLou, Aug 18, 2010
  8. poppleminster

Mrs T2B (Kel)

will all the people you invite to the evening like chinese food?

Personally, I love the idea.. and frankly, it's not about what anyone else thinks, it's about what you guys want, what seems right for you and finally what you can afford.

I've recently fallen out with a third of my family for not inviting them to my wedding, correction, they fell out with me but have tried to make it my fault, all because I had a small budget, and a strict guest list, which I had to keep moving people on the 'reserves' list around from reserves to final invite, and unfortunately these family members were on the reserves, but didn't make it to the final list.

annnnnnywaaaay...

I love the idea, traditional-smitional... who cares? I think it's lovely you can have your tea party with all your fabulous decs & props and then head off to munch some fab chinese in the evening.

An seriously.. is ANYONE you're going to invite actually going think
    "oh my god what a tight cow she's doing the stuff-your-face chinese"?
    cause if they are, they need uninviting..

I wish I was closer to you as I'd come and sort out your food for you in a heartbeat sweetie

Alternatively are there any..

working mens clubs / social clubs
    village halls
    friends with large gardens
    riding stables
    cricket clubs
    rugby clubs
    scout clubs - what about the last place you 'LARP'ed' ?
    WI institutes halls

you could approach..?

xxx

chin up, it will come together, and be popple-tastic! xx

Mrs T2B (Kel), Aug 18, 2010
  9. poppleminster

poppleminster

Thanks my lovely weddingy friends ;)

The marquee idea scares me only incase it rains and leaks and everything get wet or incase I can't put it up without getting flustered and wanting to kill myelf or those around me! You are an absolute love for helping with ideas and i'll think about it and mention it to Ben.

Kel - have done most of that list but not the cricket places so will search those. I have the perfect place if we decide to downscale on number for the tea, tiny stone hall with gorgeous view in a remote lane in the middle of dartmoor. I love it but Ben was unconvinced as it really is too small for 40 but fine for 25.

You're right about people's attitudes, they amaze me. I spoke to a friend earlier who told me I should invite more but do a buffet with a lower budget. I was so upset. I'd rather only invite those I care about and spend the same money on les people ensuring it's all perfect for the tea. I only want local and homemade stuff so it's expensive but those I love are worth that expense, those I barely know are not!

I am probably mean but my tea is really special to me. I spent my childhood lost in Enid Bltyon 'adventure of the' books and ones like 'the magic faraway tree'. Ben loves books, especially old and interesting ones and we are both big dreamers - picnics in summer and impromptu adventures we have together that are very silly but make us the mad couple we are. I've always, always wanted high tea. Big wedges of cheese (am having a cheesecake), thick slices of home-baked ham and pickle with doorstep wedges of bread and butter. Apple cake and madelaine cakes and proper homemade battenberg to finish it off all washed down with home-made ginger beer and local scrumpy for the adventurous and tea for the more traditional.

It sounds selfish but I only want to share that dream with those I really care about and that would appreciate it. Daft sentimental cow I am at times :(

Oh and as for helping with the food... I soooooooo may end up inviting you :)

10. poppleminster

Mrs T2B (Kel)

That sounds totally lush! yummy yummy! listening to you talk about your relationship like that kinda makes me think that something as different as high tea followed by a chinese is just you 2 down to the ground!!

don't be stupid. it isn't daft and it isn't selfish. Though it is sentimental :( but it's YOUR wedding day. If it's special to you 2 then that's what will make it special for everyone being invited. Those people who won't / don't get it don't know you 2.

hmm yummy yummy :) btw I do like chinese food ;) xxx

11. poppleminster

Mrs T2B (Kel)

oh and I meant to ask.. will everyone be invited to the picnic first, then just close family for the high tea, and followed by everyone again plus more in the evening?

I think that's quite a nice day, and gives the people not invited to the close family tea a chance to spend some time visiting in the local area, or go back to the hotel and get changed / relax a little etc.

12. poppleminster

poppleminster

Yep, that' the general plan. We have a whole load of larping friends that are invited to the wedding in full larp kit (has to be done really) then family and close friends for tea and then all friends and family later for chinese.

I called Ben with this plan (he's working nights), and he did point out that combined with a picnic then people eat three times. I've never seen eating three times as an issue. Surely most people complain about being hungry at weddings? I always get tummy rumbles whilst waiting for the photos to all be done.

Oh and the chinese also does other stuff like chicken nuggets, steaks and the obligatory chips.

Maybe we should get married in the morning and have the high tea as lunch then chinese in the evening an hour earlier? Oh my brain hurts! I'm off to sleep for tonight but will undoubtedly dream of ginger beer, my wedding cake turning into noodles and my guests telling off the chicken balls for not being salmon tarts. Usual dreams then for this household...

13. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Hi Popple,

I am not sure I have any useful advice but..... I think it is quite difficult for guests to be invited to part of the wedding and then not other bits unless they are only invited to the end (if that makes sense). I think you would have to put a lot of information about who was invited to what and also depending on where guests are from it could get dififuclt. H2b mum went to a wedidng where they had a break of 4 hours in the middle, they didnt know the area, didnt have anywhere to stay> The bride offered for them to go with them, but she felt akward and in the end went home and didnt stay until the evening.
    sorry dont want to stress you anymore.... I dont think you should worry about what everyone else thinks about the food though. We were at our local indian the other month and there was a bridal party having a buffett style meal with 10 guests, they were in with the other diners!

I am sure you will find the perfect venue for you and H2b and your tea party sounds ace!!

MrsBrown, Aug 19, 2010
  14. poppleminster

MrsC2Be

I'll tell you what I think about worrying what other people think..... "F**k it" Please excuse my very crude potty mouth but people get on my wick (I love that saying). Why would you want to invite more people you don't care about and then lower the amount of attention you can lavish on your most loved ones. Your friend is silly (no offence!). I've just written some of my Mum's family off the invite list, they don't care what I do, they don't stay in touch so sod em. I'm hoping this rubs off on Neil with his various Aunts and Uncles who he's inviting but never speaks to, let alone sees. Stick to your guns, have your special people there with you. You can always invite more people to eat yummy chinese with you in the evening.

Speaking of which, that is such a great idea! Most people like chinese (if they don't they are craaaazy) and if it's somewhere you both love it makes it more about you. You don't have to sit around waiting for people to order or get the wrong food etc etc which makes it easier than standard restaurant effort, but people can still get what they want.

I hope you find somewhere wonderful that allows you your high tea dream. I could find you hundreds of places up here, but that's not helpful. Kel's suggestion of cricket club would be great, most have lovely little pavilions that would be perfect. As a knower of many a scout, I also know that scout huts would be great too, and really easy to decorate.

Let us know how you get on ;) x

MrsC2Be, Aug 19, 2010
  15. poppleminster

juliak

Popple I think you should go for it, it sounds fantastic. Bugger what others think too, it's yours and Bens wedding so do what you want!

We only had 16 at the ceremony, 30 for a restaurant lunch then lots of people were invited to the informal evening do (piss up really) at a friends house, the day was relaxed and although we had some traditional/formal bits to it it was a very informal affair and everyone enjoyed it.

I think picnic, Enid Blyton high tea then chinese for the evening is great and i'd be well chuffed if I was invited to something like that (don't worry not hinting).

Good luck sweetie. xxx

juliak, Aug 19, 2010
  16. poppleminster

Helen

I love your high tea idea ;)

I would agree with Mrs Brown, I wouldn't be keen on having to wait about for bits of a wedding I wasn't invited to, I'd worry about not finding anything to do or getting lost or being inappropriately dressed to do other things etc. Not sure if that makes sense?!

If you are thinking of bringing things forward why not have breakfast with guests rather than the picnic? Then get married and have your high tea etc? Makes it into a full day celebration!

We are not big chinese fans but we wouldn't not go to a wedding because of it, we can always find something to eat from a menu so I wouldn't worry about people not liking it. To be honest there is more choice with you doing that than if you provide a fixed 3 course menu!

Helen, Aug 19, 2010
  17. poppleminster

iPrincess26

Right the Popple, Take a deep breathe and then take yourself off to the mirror have a long hard luck and repeat (as necessary) " I am special and not selfish, Ben and I deserve to get married and run the day how we want it to go and that's all that matters not other peoples silly opinions"

As for the matter of Picnic, High Tea and Chinese all you can eat I think its a genius idea - and sounds like it would be fitting for you and Ben so if that's what you want to do go for it and sod what anyone else thinks. I know I have kinda summed up what the others said - and if your worried about the guests who aren't coming to the high tea you could always give suggestions of places to visit if they are not from round there.

iPrincess26, Aug 19, 2010
  18. poppleminster

poppleminster

Thanks ladies. The guests that would not be invited to the tea are only local people that we don't know well but roleplay with occasionally. Maybe best to just invite them to the evening than to the wedding then have the gap. I just thought best to invite them to the wedding then let them chill and go home to change but if people get more upset that way then I can just invite them to the evening. Though i'd quite like the whole crew at the wedding as for dressing up purposes the photos would be fab ;)

I have a brilliant idea. I apply to 'don't tell the bride' and let Ben do all the work!

poppleminster, Aug 19, 2010
  19. poppleminster

poppleminster

Without being even slightly drunk.. I love you all xxxxxx ;)

poppleminster, Aug 19, 2010
  20. poppleminster

MrsC2Be

Dammit, drunken slightly slurred I love you's are always the best ;)

MrsC2Be, Aug 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question