Cheap Wedding Dresses

Discussion in 'Wedding Fashion' started by sammy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. sammy

sammy

HELP!! Ok I've started looking at wedding dresses online (I don't trust myself to go into a shop yet) and I'm getting a bit scared by the prices!! I've found a dress that I really like, but it's out of my price range. I don't want to spend more than £700 on my whole outfit (dress, shoes, jewellery etc) which I was hoping wouldn't be too much of a problem until I started looking!!

Here's the dress I love. I'm quite short so I was thinking that a short dress would look better than something that swamps me, and it would also mean I get to show off some pretty shoes :)

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=J1417

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it's around £900 which is just too much. I've seen a secondhand one (which is new) for £800 but that's still out of my price range.

I've seen quite a few sites which sell really cheap dresses, but I'm guessing that they are based in China and I'm very dubious. Has anyone here had any experience with any??

Does anyone know of any cheaper brands? There are so many designers and shops out there that I don't know where to start!!

Thanks xx

sammy, Nov 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. sammy

ButterflyBride2012

Hi Sammy,

I have just sen your post. I don't know if this will help or you want to do it but there is a website called all for dress and they have styles like the one you posted and also make to a photo of a style you like. The maximum they charge is £250-300 tops. I don't know how good they quality is but the dresses look lovely on their website. Have a look.
    HTH xx

ButterflyBride2012, Nov 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. sammy

Becky

I can see why you like that dress - it's beautiful!

If you're looking for a shorter dress that doesn't break the budget, Vivian of Holloway do some gorgeous dresses in a 1950s style. How about this one:

http://www.vivienofholloway.com/en/category/50s%20Halterneck%20Luxury%20Dress/1950s-halterneck-luxury-dress/705/

Vivian of Holloway.jpg

At £115 it's a lot cheaper, and the company is UK based. They have a shop in London and stockist dotted around the UK, so might be worth a try! Have you picked your colours yet? You could always pick shoes and petticoats in the same colour as your flowers / bridesmaids which would look amazing!

Becky, Nov 17, 2011
  4. sammy

MrsQuinn2b

Becky that dress you have found is absolutely gorgeous :)

MrsQuinn2b, Nov 17, 2011
  5. sammy

SeptemberBride

Thats dress is stunning!!! Have you tried to contact the person who has the second hand one and see if they will take a lower offer?? Also, I am short and didnt think a long dress would suit me and when I tried them on there are certain styles that work. And most brides will tell you, the dress style you have your heart set on, rarely turns out to be the dress you would go for!! xxx

SeptemberBride, Nov 17, 2011
  6. sammy

Helen

That is a gorgeous dress!

Have you tried a local dress maker? They might be able to do something similar and give you a choice of fabrics that are different prices to make it a bit cheaper?

Loving the dress Becky posted too that is a great price.

Honeypie Boutique also do similar dresses.

Helen, Nov 18, 2011
  7. sammy

koodle

has anyone tried buying their wedding dress from the china members of ebay? some look really nice, and a good price, but duno if its worth the risk?

koodle, Jan 23, 2012
  8. sammy

Becky

Up to you really! It can be risky, but if you buy from a seller which has good feedback then I suppose you are minimising that risk...

Becky, Jan 23, 2012
  9. sammy

poppleminster

If anyone wants the link I have found someone in the UK who imports dresses from China made to order but she is a proper business not an ebay seller and offers full UK statutory rights. I'm thinking of ordering a jacket from her. She also has an email, telephone etc response time of a few hours so I was pretty impressed. I found her on facebook. Poor woman got a lot of nasty comments from people slagging off chinese dresses without having the intelligence to realise she checks them all over first so it's not different to buying from a shop - lets face it, most shops buy their designer dresses from wholesalers who import them and they are mostly made in China too!

Her average dresses seem to be £200. She imports stuff from all over the world, not just china and some of the stuff is lovely, also, no customs charges to worry about :)

poppleminster, Jan 23, 2012
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question