Changing Surname When Married

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by MrsGroves2B, Jun 3, 2013.

1. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

With just under 4 weeks to go the thing I've been thinking about is who I'd need to inform about a change of name. I went into my bank and building society today and found out about those, just contacted HR at my work who I'm expecting to call me back, will need to inform letting agency, council, etc, DVLA, HMRC, car insurance and any bills (I think all I have is my mobile phone contract and Sky).

My passport I'm thinking of leaving until it runs out (got 4 years left on it), and the honeymoon is in my maiden name (the travel agent said as long as the passport matches the tickets it doesn't matter).

What else can you think of? I'm hoping a lot of the ones I can pop into (for example my bank and building societies) I can get sorted on the Monday after the wedding so its done before the honeymoon (we go away the Thursday after) and don't have to send the marriage certificate away anywhere. Others I know I wont be able to do so quickly and easily.

MrsGroves2B, Jun 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsGroves2B

Becky

It looks like you have thought of the main ones! There are bound to be others, but you can change them as they crop up. Doctor, dentist, optician, etc are others to add to your list, I'll let you know if I think of more. I think changing my email address threw up the most changes required, although those are all easily done online!

I would recommend getting a copy of your marriage certificate on the day - it's easier and cheaper, and means you have a duplicate to send off instead of the original signed copy.

Becky, Jun 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I went to the doctors today and it made me think of the doctors. I could do with changing my doctors as I've moved from the area, just like my doctors so don't want to change really, its under my parents address so its not too bad!

I'm sure they'll crop up as and when needed, I've already set up a new email ready, and its with Hotmail who I'm with before so I will link them together after the wedding as loads of things have my email address.

Thank you!

xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 3, 2013
  4. MrsGroves2B

Helen

I'm still wading through this! At the time I didn't realise I could get a copy of the certificate so we only have the one copy that is taking a long time to do the rounds. Def get a copy! Or two!

Helen, Jun 4, 2013
  5. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I will try speaking to the vicar this weekend and ask about extra copies of the marriage certificate, sounds like a good idea. My Dad got an extra copy of my Granddad's Death Certificate, my parents got an extra copy of my Birth Certificate so it seems useful to have an extra copy of our marriage certificate!

xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 4, 2013
  6. MrsGroves2B

nikster1987

I think you've covered most, but something thats come to mind is things like TV license, electricity/gas company and water company. I hope that helps!
    I am the same with my doctors too. He's been mine and my fiance's doctor since we were born so we don't want to change if we can help it.

Will take on the idea of ectra copies of certificate too, will definitely help!

nikster1987, Jun 5, 2013
  7. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

When's your big day Nikster? I'm going to change my name there but not address for the time being, we don't plan on living here for a long time so don't want to change and change again. I don't want to change full stop really. Me and my fiancé are at different doctors but both under our parents' addresses, and his doctors is the health centre I'd have to go to for an out-of-hours appointment, so is only 5 minutes away.

xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 5, 2013
  8. MrsGroves2B

nikster1987

At least its not too far away then. Its supposed to be brought in soon where you can join any doctors panel you want without being in their boundries.

You can all call me Nikki :) Wedding probably won't be for another couple of years yet. Put it off with finance difficulties but my fiance has just got a new job, so its just saving up. We have decided to try for a baby, so it depends on that too.

nikster1987, Jun 5, 2013
  9. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

All the best with it all Nikki!

MrsGroves2B, Jun 15, 2013
  10. MrsGroves2B

iPrincess26

Girls just to let you know as its impossible to find the info on t'int to change the name on your driving licence you need to get a D1 form from the post office (the same one you use to apply for a driving licence).

iPrincess26, Jun 16, 2013
  11. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Thank you, my friend has just gone about doing it, post office said you can do it online, she told them she couldn't so now she's got the D1 form she originally went in the post office to ask for! You have to send the original marriage certificate rather than a copy, was going to send it before going away but thought against it in case it arrives whilst we're on honeymoon and is left in the post for all to see xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question