Chair Covers - Worth The Cost?

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by MrsH, Aug 7, 2012.

1. MrsH

MrsH

Hello all!

Has anyone else decided against chair covers at their wedding?

I don't know whether it is just that I have seen so many at all the different venues/fairs/etc and the overkill has just made me dislike them, but I really don't want chair covers at our wedding.

This is partially due to not liking how they look and partially it seems like a bit of an unnecessary expense (we are on a really tight budget).

I considered hiring chairs instead as this can be done at a similar price to hiring the covers, but again it seems silly to pay so much when there are useable chairs at the venue. The chairs provided aren't awful (like some I've seen) but I am still concerned about how it will look as the only photos I've seen of weddings at our venue all have chair covers.

Just interested in what others think, and whether anyone who decided against chair covers has any photos they could share?

Thanks!

MrsH, Aug 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsH

elliekitty

It's your wedding at the end of the day, if you don't like them, don't have them :)

I must admit im for tho! x

elliekitty, Aug 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsH

MrsC2Be

We've decided not to have them. My venue has nice chairs though, which has made the decision a lot easier!

http://www.bigday.co.uk/gallery/image/105-lodge1jpg/ that's a picture of the room set out without the chair covers. I originally thought I wanted them, but now I'm of the thinking that it makes the room look overly white - it's such a great building that it would be a shame to overwhelm it.

There's also the budget issue. We're not having a cheap wedding, but it seems so ridiculous to throw money away on stuff that we don't definitely need when we could spend that on inviting more of the people we love :)

MrsC2Be, Aug 7, 2012
  4. MrsH

iPrincess26

We aren't having chair covers either, like you I thought it seemed a pointless expense and our venue is so beautiful I don't think any one will notice if we have chair covers or not and if they do I don't care!

Go with your gut and remember there are far more important things people will be looking at on the day (and looking back at photo's) than chairs! :)

iPrincess26, Aug 7, 2012
  5. MrsH

Becky Administrator

We didn't have them either - like you, I just saw them as an unnecessary expense. I thought the chairs in our venue looked fine without them, and to be honest even if they hadn't been that nice I don't think anyone would have noticed anyway. Once everyone is sat down you can't see them, and after the meal it's likely that the lights will be dimmed (and people will be drunk) so no one will know!

Here's a link to our venue's gallery - you can see photos with and without chair covers.

http://www.sandholeoakbarn-weddings.co.uk/gallery.html

Becky, Aug 7, 2012
  6. MrsH

Helen

We didn't have them. I don't really like them (neither does husband) so we were never intending to have any. Our table and chair hire we left a bit late (less than a week before oops) so all I asked for was a 'natural' wood look and this is what arrived. Really pleased with them they looked great, and as Becky said once everyone is sat on them then noone notices anyway :) (I do think that the black covers can look quite cool though, if you want that dramatic type of look)

HelenandMatt00016.jpg

HelenandMatt00049.jpg

Helen, Aug 7, 2012
  7. MrsH

AmyC

I am not going to use chair covers either. Instead I am going to get lots of different coloured and widths of ribbon and tie them across the back of the chair. Ribbon doesn't cost that much and makes chairs look extra special!
    I did see a photo on a blog somewhere but now I can't find it!!

Amy

AmyC, Aug 7, 2012
  8. MrsH

MrsBrown

We did but only because the chairs at the venue were awful andi mean awful. Though the wedding coordinator said some people dont bother. All the pics of chairs on here so far are lovely and I don't think I would have bothered. The chairs at my venue were pale green with bronzy/metal frames.

MrsBrown, Aug 8, 2012
  9. MrsH

MrsH

Thanks everyone!

Love all the photos and they have reassured me somewhat :)

Becky - your venue is stunning!

Helen - the chairs you have there were the ones I was considering hiring if the chairs at the venue I chose were horrible (hiring doesn't actually work out much different in cost to covers, but personally I much prefer the look). They look lovely.

MrsC2B - I completely agree with it looking too white - that was my gut feeling as well. Black covers may be an option as someone said, but I think I will save myself the cost and go without.

Here is a photo from my venue of a wedding without the covers.

Ballroom 011.JPG

MrsH, Aug 10, 2012
  10. MrsH

Helen

Your room colours and the chair colours go well together. What table centres/colour scheme are you going to have?

Helen, Aug 10, 2012
  11. MrsH

MrsBrown

I wouldn't have bothered if those were my chairs!

MrsBrown, Aug 11, 2012
  12. MrsH

Frogbitch

I had them. I got a discount on them at a wedding fayre.

The colour scheme of the day was quite important to me, so much so that I even asked our guests to join in.

I can't remember what the chairs were like at the venue (I'll have a peek next week!), but in a quite dark room, I think the covers served a purpose, and I was very happy with them.

They were however by no means essential.

Frogbitch, Aug 11, 2012
  13. MrsH

Frogbitch

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:435]

Frogbitch, Aug 11, 2012
  14. MrsH

Helen

With a dark room like above they do lift it, also agree they work well with the black and white colour scheme :)

Helen, Aug 12, 2012
  15. MrsH

MrsC2Be

I wouldn't have them if those were my chairs. But if you had a very definite colour scheme they'd work well for that.

MrsC2Be, Aug 14, 2012
  16. MrsH

MrsH

Thanks everyone!

Frogbitch, I agree they worked well with that venue/scheme! :)

I haven't yet decided on a colour scheme as it is difficult to work out what goes with deep red. Didn't really want gold, which is the obvious choice. Considering a blue/purple sort of colour (not sure what you'd call it - lavender maybe?). Want to try and choose something complementary!

MrsH, Aug 16, 2012
  17. MrsH

Becky Administrator

Green or gold work well with red, but it would look too festive!

Cream and red looks lovely - think cream roses and red ribbons or vice versa. It would look gorgeous without looking festive :)

Becky, Aug 16, 2012
  18. MrsH

Helen

Cream would be good. Or black if you want to go dramatic. Blue or dark purple would be a contrast. Ohh decisions! Have you seen any decorations/flowers etc that you like? Maybe look at a few different things and see what you like best in which colours then that will help you come to a decision. You could completely ignore the red, our reception venue had a red carpet and we didn't have anything red or going with the red and it looked fine.

Helen, Aug 16, 2012
  19. MrsH

MrsH

I actually wanted rainbow theme but think it would be too much with this venue - I think you need somewhere very neutral for rainbow to work!

Thanks for the ideas, will have a think! :)

MrsH, Aug 17, 2012
  20. MrsH

lorecuore

in the deals site called vowscher they had not long ago an offer for chair covers...

lorecuore, Aug 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question