Calorie Counting - Hit A Plateau :(

Discussion in 'Weight loss and Fitness' started by nahatalie, Sep 2, 2012.

1. nahatalie

nahatalie

Just having a little rant - I've been on a diet for 10 weeks and lost 10lbs, but not lost anything the last two weeks. I'm averaging about 1300 calories a day, probably having 1600-1800 cals once or twice a week, but also having 1000-1200 a couple of times a week. I read that varying the calories you take during the week helps as your body doesn't adjust to the same routine amount so quickly.

Admittedly I do pretty much no exercise at the moment, but starting tomorrow I'm moving the exercise bike infront of the lounge so I can use it while watching TV, as just doing it on it's own in an empty spare room is mind numbingly dull lol, and seeing it in the lounge might guilt me into using it regularly!

I know most dieters hit a plateau at some point, just getting a bit grumpy as food wise I am really sticking to it, I don't want another week of no weight loss, I'm hanging on to my motivation and I fear it might go if I lose nothing for a third week!

Do I just sit out the plateau or do I need to readjust my calorie intake even lower already?! Rah!

nahatalie, Sep 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. nahatalie

Becky

Sounds like your calorie intake is already low as it is, so I wouldn't recommend lowering it further. Try some gentle exercise and see if that helps - the bike sounds like a good idea :) are you following a plan? What was your start weight and goal weight if you don't mind me asking?

Becky, Sep 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. nahatalie

Zoe

There's a free diet website which my friend has joined and it's helped her loads. I think it's called myfitnesspal.co.uk. I'm going to join it after the baby's born to see if it works for me. You could try joining it to see if there's a chat section on it for help and support???

Zoe, Sep 3, 2012
  4. nahatalie

iPrincess26

I would suggest no lowering your calories any more and getting started on the bike, but also take a look at what you are eating and the portion size as this can be more important that calories (i.e you might be only eating 1200 calories but 1200 of the wrong food and you won't lose weight) My fitness pal is supposed to be very good also try keeping a food diary for a couple of weeks and go and see the dietician at your GP's surgery (take the food diary with you) and they will advise - mine was a great help and I lost 4st (I thought I wasn't eating much until i wrote everything down - including drinks!)

You will plateau at certain points but don't lose motivation and I really recommend the dietician and food diary to help keep you on track.

Oh and WELL DONE :) on the weight loss so far, it's a brilliant achievement!

iPrincess26, Sep 3, 2012
  5. nahatalie

nahatalie

I think I just need to not be lazy...lol. Been putting off the exercise. Hopefully it's just a plateau at that "certain point". I've been keeping a food diary throughout the 10 weeks, and looking back at it I think it looks ok. There's a bit of alcohol at the weekends, the occasional biscuit or bit of cake, but really very occasional, and a few Dairylea Dunkers lol. I just can't get enough of those! I wish they'd stop being half price in Tesco lol. But I count it all, and other than those few treats, I eat mostly quorn, noodles / pasta / potatoes / rice, lots and lots of veg, and fruit or a yogurt for dessert. I cook all my evening meals from scratch with lots of veggies and pretty much never eat bread. Going to get my fiance to bring the bike down now...I am so tired after work every day!

Hmm..also, I'm a teacher so I've been off for 6 weeks, now I'll be a bit more physically active at work, hopefully that will help too. Maybe the intense stress of my job will help too! Though I heard that stress can slow down weight loss...lol. I was 13st, now I'm 12st 4, and I'm 5ft 4. I'd love to get to 10st. I have 327 days left to do it! I think realistically I'll probably get to 11st in that time, as I am enjoying feeling like I'm not on that much of a diet so I'm ok losing slowly, jsut don't want to stop altogether!

nahatalie, Sep 3, 2012
  6. nahatalie

HEPPY1990

i found green tea really helped me when i stopped losing weight i swapped coffee for it.

HEPPY1990, Jun 23, 2013
  7. nahatalie

martinnat9

How have you been doing with the diet? I see this was back in September! Hopefully you are doing better now and have slimmed to your ideal weight. I have never struggled with my weight until early this year. Bloomin brilliant I thought! Just start piling on the pounds on the run up to the wedding why don't you! Anyway, biking has been the answer but I recommend getting on a real bike as it is sooooooo much more interesting than doing it whilst watching the tele and getting out in the fresh air is just fabulous for the mind. I'm doubly motivated because I'm not just doing it to lose weight for the wedding in August ( already lost a stone in two months!) but have been in training for the London Bikeathon http://leukaemialymphomaresearch.org.uk/londonbikeathon so I have a double motivation to get on the bike. BTW i did use my fitness pal for a bit but got annoyed having to keep manually putting my food in or searching for it. Anyone found a short cut or easier app to use than this one?

martinnat9, Jul 5, 2013
  8. nahatalie

iPrincess26

I'm having the same issue with my fitness pal! I make most of our suppers from scratch so having to type in each ingredient for everything I make is meaning that I am giving up on using it, thought about just typing it in the note but then you don't get the calorie count! My OH is on the look out for a bike for me as with my fybro and arthritis there are huge restrictions on what I can do and even then I have to be careful about how much I do otherwise i end up in bed for a week in absolute agony!

Good luck with the bikeathon! :)

Hope my weight loss gets going again when I get a bike - my meds don't help as weight gain is a side affect that unfortunately kicked in in the few months before our wedding!

iPrincess26, Jul 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question