Bridesmaid Dress Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by MrsGroves2B, Mar 3, 2013.

1. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I have a little dilemma.

I brought my bridesmaid dresses in October. At Christmas one of my bridesmaids has announced that she is pregnant. By the wedding day she will be about 7 months pregnant. I need to find somewhere that can alter dresses within the West Midlands.

I have thought of getting the biggest size dress and get it taken in, etc, but the biggest size is the next size up from what she's had. I'm also getting worried that the material of the dress would mean that having it altered may be difficult, if not impossible.

Anyone had a similar problem or know a way around it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

xx

MrsGroves2B, Mar 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsGroves2B

Becky

Hmmm that's a tricky one! Do you have a picture of the dress? It might help to see it first

Becky, Mar 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsGroves2B

Helen

Have you taken the dress to a dressmaker and asked them if it is possible? They may be able to add an extra panel in depending on the design and fabric.

Helen, Mar 15, 2013
  4. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I've taken this dress to two different dress places. The first looked at the seam as said no, its too small of a seam to be able to take it out at all, and can't be done under the detail around the bust area either. The second one (we didn't have the dress with us initially, then realised we had the dress in the car!) said the same, then suggested removing the zip and having a corset back, then looking at the dress the zip was on the side so that ruled that out. Unfortunately this means I can't get the dress altered. I've since learnt that the shop (West One, so a High Street store) has now gone bust so can't even get another if I wanted to! (Stores and website are gone)

One shop had a similar dress, which would have been perfect, but at £200+ so that's way over budget, so unfortunately it looks like I can't have her as a bridesmaid. I've done what I can but can't afford to pay the prices they're charging.

I have spoken to my bridesmaid and told her I can't get the dress altered. I'm trying for similar but prices are around £200. As soon as I mentioned prices she said that's too much to spend on one day, and can't be worn again (definitely wouldn't be able to wear it again as it'll be way too big!). I said I'm doing what I can do but can't afford to pay loads and I'll be gutted to not have my best friend, and she's understanding, and says its not may fault, its just one of those things.

What I'm thinking of though is still getting her to do something. I thought either get her to have my flowers off me at the altar or getting her to be one of the witnesses. Will speak to our vicar about how many witnesses to have, etc, but it may make her still feel involved in the big day?

MrsGroves2B, Mar 23, 2013
  5. MrsGroves2B

Becky

What a pain! How many bridesmaids do you have and what is your colour scheme? I don't think you need to try and completely replicate the dress, you could get something that complements the other BM dresses. If you had, say, 3 bridesmaids then that could work quite well.

If there is no way to make it work then I like your idea of involving her in other ways - she could also maybe do a reading?

Becky, Mar 23, 2013
  6. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I thought about a reading but I don't think she would be confident enough to do that. Including this bridesmaid and maid of honour there's 3 in total.

I wanted to ask my cousin to be a bridesmaid, she's the same age as our other bridesmaid (both will be 19 on the wedding day), but she lives in New Zealand and we didn't know (still not sure) whether she'll be able to get over to the UK. Now I've put it to my Mom (it's her sister, brother-in-law and niece that are in New Zealand) and she needs to call my Auntie to sort out another unrelated matter so was going to ask on the phone for me (I like to do these things myself but with the cost of calling overseas I'd rather her put it to my Auntie first then I can send a private Facebook message to my cousin). I've said if the dress fits and she's coming over she can be a bridesmaid. The other thing is she's at uni in New Zealand and their term times are different to ours so may not be allowed so much time off. With the dress I almost feel like its a Cinderella story- if the dress fits you're a part of the wedding!

All very complicated!

They say these things are meant to be and everything happens for a reason, maybe it does. We will see.

MrsGroves2B, Mar 23, 2013
  7. MrsGroves2B

Helen

Could you find a maternity dress in a similar colour? That way she could still match in if that is what you wanted. As it will be obvious she is pregnant noone will wonder why her dress is different. :)

Helen, Mar 24, 2013
  8. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Tried, they're way over budget unfortunately xx

MrsGroves2B, Mar 24, 2013
  9. MrsGroves2B

Helen

That is a shame. How about getting a dressmaker to do her a dress in a matching colour? You can get dresses made quite reasonably priced depending on style and fabric choices, or how about finding a maternity dress that fits in a pale colour and dying it to match?

Helen, Mar 25, 2013
  10. MrsGroves2B

Helen

Helen, Mar 25, 2013
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question