Breach Of Contract Please Help?!

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by Zellybelly, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Zellybelly

Zellybelly

I booked and paid my deposit to my wedding venue back in October had a email explaining all prices and how much per head for the meal and signed with manager and asst manager! So to me that means it's booked?? Or just me? Ive been down this week to see the venue again check on tables the lay out and as we are getting married there how the room will be set out, I meet with the manager (glyn) again who I've seen every time I've been there! He informed me he is the owner and they have a new manager in now who runs the venue now! He has always said he runs the place and also why was I not informed that there is a new manager?? I had a phone call off the 'new' manager yesterday saying that they had no idea and the people before her had left and not left her any information about our wedding! Which is a lie as I meet glyn who told me he was the manager in October and then again this week! I could hear him in background saying that he just thought it was an enquiry and not a booking?! Why did he take the deposit then?? She said that the deal I was offered they could not do and will be charging me double the price now and double the price just to hire the room which before was the building???!! I asked her name and as she is the 'new' manager it's was her name on the email with all the details back in october!!! Please help I'm soo confused and stuck as it's booked for 4th August!! So little time to find somewhere else!!

Zellybelly, Jan 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Zellybelly

Becky Administrator

That doesn't sound good, sorry to hear you've been having troubles!

For a contract to be binding there must be several elements:
    1. Intention to create legal relations, AND
    2. Agreement between the two parties, signified by offer ("expression of willingness to be bound by specific terms proposed" - can be either express or implied) and acceptance (again, can be either express or implied), AND
    3. Consideration (something of value is given by one party to the other)
    It is usually assumed that commercial agreements are intended to create legal relations, so that's the first one ticked off. Agreement is more tricky - if they provided you with a set of terms and a price, and said that your booking will be made following the submission of your deposit, then there should have been an agreement made when they accepted your deposit. Your deposit is the consideration in the contract.

What information did they give you before you gave them your deposit? Do you think that there is a binding contract based on the above?

Hope this helps! :)

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Becky, Jan 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Zellybelly

Sandritta_1

The best advice would be to get your deposit back ASAP and not do business with a company like this!

Sandritta_1, Jan 24, 2013
  4. Zellybelly

Becky Administrator

Good point!

Becky, Jan 25, 2013
  5. Zellybelly

Janeeee3

How about a name and shame right here so that other people do not make the same mistake?

Janeeee3, Sep 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question