Blue Hair

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Becky, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Becky

Becky Administrator

I just read this article on OffBeat Bride

What happens when you're invited to a wedding, but your non-traditional hair color ISN'T?

It raises an interesting question! Just how far should people go to ensure guests conform to the wedding day style? I find it completely fine to make requests about outfits - eg white is reserved for the bride, or specifying a colour scheme.

But I find it shocking that blue hair was seen as so unacceptable. It's not like she was even a bridesmaid and would feature heavily in formal photos! Where do you draw the line between what is acceptable and not acceptable? Should larger BMs be forced to lose weight? Should people with bad teeth get them fixed?! If someone didn't accept me for who I was then I wouldn't want to know them!

Becky, Oct 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Becky

MrsC2Be

Blimey - that's a bit harsh! Glad to hear it wasn't actually her friends who had a problem with it though. Making her feel like a thug because of her hair colour isn't ok.

One of my best friends was recently a bridesmaid at her brothers wedding - she was forced to cover up her tattoos for the day. She loves her tattoos and they are part of her, and not offensive or even that big so I was a bit shocked when she told me. But I've heard of this before. Apart from the white dress that Neil's mum was thinking of wearing, we had no dramas like this really, but then we were both very chilled out about everything.

MrsC2Be, Oct 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Becky

Helen

I know someone (a man) who was told on an invite that earrings were acceptable only on women! He declined the invite.

I'm not really bothered what other people choose to do with their hair/tattoos/piercings/clothing etc etc and I didn't put any restrictions on what my wedding guests could wear or look like.

I can understand asking for something to 'theme' a day, like frogbitch did for example by asking people to wear black and white. Quite frankly if I didn't want to follow a dress code then I wouldn't attend. I suppose you could say if you are holding a party then you can dictate to a certain extent what you would like your guests to wear, so I guess hair colour could come into that?

I can't be bothered with all the fuss, people are what they are. If you don't like it don't be their friend and don't invite them! I know weddings can be difficult if it isn't the bride and groom paying but still, if the parents don't respect the guest (and presumably friend) choices then that doesn't speak very highly of how they value their (presumably adult if they are getting married) children's judgements.

Helen, Oct 10, 2012
  4. Becky

MrsBrown

Now if my bridesmaid turned up the week before my wedding with blue hair having been blond for years I may be a teeny bit upset! But she had had blue hair for years, it was part of her!

I hope she wore the wig initially and then took it off just in time for the photos ha ha!

MrsBrown, Oct 10, 2012
  5. Becky

Frogbitch

Blimey!

I asked my guests to wear black and white to my wedding, but it was a request, not an order, and I certainly wouldn't have turned anyone away that didn't.

In fact, three guests wore other coloiurs. My Nan (because she didn't want to look like she'd come from her own funeral?!?!), my Aunt (because she'd bought her outfit before the invites went out), and one of my friends who didn't read the invitation properly.
    She wore blue, and I honestly didn't notice until she suddenly changed outfit halfway through the day. She must have gotten her son to drive to the venue with a second outfit! Totally not necessary!!

Now, back to the blue hair.

It is totally out of order to expect someone to change who they are for the sake of someone's wedding.
    My aunt died her hair bright red for my wedding. She did it as a statement (according to my Mum). It didn't suit her, her husband hated it, and she was miserable as sin the whole day as a result. What's more, nobody batted an eyelid, so her efforts were wasted.

The people asking this person to change her hair should be ashamed of themselves.

Frogbitch, Oct 11, 2012
  6. Becky

elliekitty

That is a little bit harsh, seen as she's had it for years and its pretty normal for her! However if one my bridesmaids suddenly died her hair blue just before the wedding, i would be abit upset as it might look daft on the photos! x

elliekitty, Oct 11, 2012
  7. Becky

Becky Administrator

It's a difficult situation - especially as it's the parents kicking up a fuss not the actual bride/groom, but then the it's the parents who are paying for the wedding... I suppose that's one of the problems with parents paying - they get to have their way! I'm glad we paid for ours wedding ourselves, my Mum was manipulative enough as it was, if she'd have been paying for it she would have been a nightmare!!

I do hope that the lovely lady doesn't have to wear the wig, although it's very sweet of her to do something like that.

Becky, Oct 11, 2012
  8. Becky

gildius

It's surprising that she seems so accepting of it - I mean, she probably has to wear the wig because it's better to do that than cause a big scene on someone else's big day, but I would have thought she'd be more outraged. I think it's ridiculous - she shouldn't have to change her hair at all!

gildius, Oct 12, 2012
  9. Becky

iPrincess26

I think it was appalling the way she was shunned by people and an outrageous request to have been made in the first place - However like ellie kittty said I think it would've been a bit different if she had died it just 2 days before - I think the reason she didn't make a fuss and chose herself to wear the wig is that it wasn't her friends the bride and groom who treated her like this and they are good friends so to save a whole heap of hassle/arguments for everyone she rose above it and took the high ground - good for her!

iPrincess26, Oct 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question