Basic Guide To Making A Brooch & Button Bouquet

Discussion in 'DIY Wedding' started by poppleminster, Mar 5, 2012.

1. poppleminster

poppleminster

These are a labour of love but nice to do. Do not underestimate how long it will take, the techniques may be fairly simple but the labour is intensive. Don't get ideas about doing it in an hour. It wont happen!

So to begin you need stuff. Stuff you have possibly never heard of before. Get yourself down to a florist and ask for the following:

Oasis bouquet holders x 2 (1 for practise)
    Thin wire
    Thicker stiff wire stems - I used 10 inch and cut them in half
    Florists tape
    Glue - cheap superglue from the pound shop will also do.

Then go to a diy shop and buy small pliers with an edge that cuts. Not sure what the real term for these is so we shall refer to them as plier cutty things.

You will also need a large quantity of buttons and earrings / rings / necklaces / brooches. Anything you fancy can be pretty much dismantled and used.

So, this is what you should now have on hand:

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      141.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      108.2 KB
      Views:
    poppleminster, Mar 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. poppleminster

poppleminster

Firstly take the stiff wire stems. Cut them in half with your plier cutty things, there is no need to be accurate here as you will trim them to size later anyway.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      108.7 KB
      Views:
    1. Advertisements

3. poppleminster

poppleminster

Next use your thin wire and thread it through your buttons or brooch, earrings require gluing onto a threaded button to be secure enough to use. Twist the wire at the back only twice.

Take a stiff wire stem and hold it flat against the button using your left thumb (unless you are left handed) to secure it as you wind the wires round.

With your thumb still holding the wire, bend the stiff wire that is now merged with the thin wire, so that you create a crook shape. See pic for this to make sense. I have tried various methods from other guides and none work as well as this does. If your wire is too big at the top then you can always trim it with your plier cutty things.

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      76.6 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      51.9 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      67.8 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
  4. poppleminster

poppleminster

For smaller buttons and light brooches, you need not make the crook shape but instead carefully wrap the wires round the thicker wire stem as it is. If in doubt alwaysn use more wire rather than less. You want your bouquet to last!

Whichever method you have used to make the stem, now wrap it in the florists tape. This secures the wires and makes it all stronger as well as less dangerous. Wire ends are sharp so be careful.

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      134.8 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      66.4 KB
      Views:
  5. poppleminster

poppleminster

When you've done all the main stems that you want to use it is time to play with your experimental oasis holder. Trim the wires to the length you want and shove them carefully into the oasis. Do NOT use glue at this stage. Obvious reasons.

The reason for the practise holder is that oasis is strong but weakens if stems are taken out again so if you make an error on the final bouquet, it will matter more as it will be less secure.

Once you've finished then replicate on your final holder by dipping the stems into glue prior to pressing into the oasis. Leave the whole thing to dry for 24 hours minimum and et voila! A bouquet. You can wrap nthe holder in co-ordinating ribbon and attach a nice diamante buckle as you wish.

Your only limit is your imagination as I have seen these made with shells and bottletops and all sorts of random materials! Have fun :)

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:
  6. poppleminster

poppleminster

The pictures are of a work in progress. I tried other methods and vastly prefer my own. Others are less secure and I would be worried that the pretty things would fall off or bend ouit of shape too easily. I'll upload pictures of the finished article when I am done :)

7. poppleminster

Zoe

Wow, that's amazing. Well done you. Can't wait to see your completed bouquet.

Zoe, Mar 5, 2012
  8. poppleminster

Becky Administrator

Excellent guide, thanks for taking the time to share this! From how you've described it, it sounds like a very good way to make the bouquet - like you say, you don't want things falling out.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article! :)

Becky, Mar 6, 2012
  9. poppleminster

Helen

Can't wait to see it! (Think it will look awesome with a black dress too ;) )

Helen, Mar 6, 2012
  10. poppleminster

poppleminster

Test bouquet finished. Just got to trasnsfer it over to the final one now. I have learned lots! Mainly that trying to do it quickly is a BAD idea. Lots of websites say you don't need glue etc but this thinhg is heavy. I want the confidence to hold it and not fear it breaking or bits falling about so the glue is essential. Also it takes longer to wire the items onto the stems when technically you can just shove them straight onto the stems like other places recommend - don't be tempted! If you wire them seperately then you have far more manouverability once in place to turn the brooches etc to face the directions you want. If it is just stuck on a stem, you have no flexibility.

So for the final I am going to spray the oasis ivory or maybe gold or silver, not sure yet. I will transfer the stems over as they are in the pics but am going to add lots of crystals on hat pins to fill the small spaces. Maybe some pearls too. I have made this very 'busy' because that is how I like it, I suspect most would prefer something less busy. I just love the idea that you have to hunt to see the different goodies hidden in there!

SO what do you reckon? I love it and at a fraction of the price of buying one!

Total cost:

Florist supplies £15
    Buttons from my mother-in-law to be
    Brooches and earrings, necklaces etc: Peacocks sale £8, Antiques market rummage box of broken jewellery £10 Charity shop £4

Total cost £37 Cost online cheapest I have seen for similar is well over £100. I have enough floristry stuff to make one for Poppy with funky buttons and some Hello Kitty badges she has :)

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      88.1 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      75.8 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      83.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      87.4 KB
      Views:
    poppleminster, Mar 6, 2012
  11. poppleminster

Becky Administrator

That looks great, I'm so impressed! I love all the different details, and I agree that the final one will look great with the extra sparkles.

Becky, Mar 6, 2012
  12. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Popple that is amazing!!!!!!! Want one!!! Future business idea?

MrsBrown, Mar 6, 2012
  13. poppleminster

poppleminster

I am going to experiment with different types now. I love doing it but it does take ages though :)

poppleminster, Mar 6, 2012
  14. poppleminster

Becky Administrator

If you do the Hello Kitty one you'll have to show us! :D

Becky, Mar 7, 2012
  15. poppleminster

Zoe

Fab-a-doodle-doo. That looks amazing.

Zoe, Mar 7, 2012
  16. poppleminster

Frogbitch

I have that pink rose ring!!
    I love what you have done. I can't wait to see the finished article.

Frogbitch, Mar 7, 2012
  17. poppleminster

iPrincess26

Love it!! You are very talented and I agree with you on the glue front you want to know that it's not going to fall to bits half way down the aisle!

Looking forward to seeing the final one - will look fab with all the extra bits you mentioned.

iPrincess26, Mar 7, 2012
  18. poppleminster

MrsC2Be

Looks absolutely bloomin brilliant - well done. Looks like it took a long time, I don't think I'd have the patience! I agree about having to look for all the different bits, it's so lovely to look at. Love the idea of Poppy's hello kitty one too :D

MrsC2Be, Mar 8, 2012
  19. poppleminster

MrsBoucher2B2012

it looks fantastic, well done and i agree on the glue.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Mar 9, 2012
  20. poppleminster

Frogbitch

I just revisited the site that first introduced me to this type of bouquet, as I couldn't remember why I had discounted them. Then I looked at the prices!

Becky, you should start a business.

Frogbitch, Mar 9, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question