Bar... Yes / No / Maybe

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by MrsO'Sullivan2be, May 5, 2010.

1. MrsO'Sullivan2be

MrsO'Sullivan2be

We are having a Village Hall Reception; the bar is supplied by a local pub. I have informed all guests on the invite it will be a Cash Bar.

Due to budget and (I don’t like wine) we will not be providing drinks at the meal.

We had originally thought we could put some money behind the bar, but now not so sure as we would want to make sure all guest get a drink on arrival and some may drink faster than others (therefore money running out before all get served) and also takes a large chunk of our budget...

Do we bother putting any money behind the bar?

OR

Purchase (Beer / Pimms) from the bar to offer as a welcome drink

OR

Don’t offer anything ... and just let guest to get their own??

HELP pls ladies

MrsO'Sullivan2be, May 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsO'Sullivan2be

MrsC2Be

[quote name='MrsO'Sullivan2be' date='05 May 2010 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1273095804' post='680']
    We are having a Village Hall Reception; the bar is supplied by a local pub. I have informed all guests on the invite it will be a Cash Bar.

Due to budget and (I don’t like wine) we will not be providing drinks at the meal.

We had originally thought we could put some money behind the bar, but now not so sure as we would want to make sure all guest get a drink on arrival and some may drink faster than others (therefore money running out before all get served) and also takes a large chunk of our budget...

Do we bother putting any money behind the bar?

OR

Purchase (Beer / Pimms) from the bar to offer as a welcome drink

OR

Don’t offer anything ... and just let guest to get their own??

HELP pls ladies

[/quote]

I guess doing pitchers of either Beer or Pimms and lemonade would be a good compromise - you could ask the pub supplying your drinks if they could do you a deal on this? A welcome cocktail is always gonna go down a treat :D

MrsC2Be, May 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsO'Sullivan2be

MrsStanding2Be

Well we are serving them drinks at reception and putting £700 behind the bar.

MrsStanding2Be, May 6, 2010
  4. MrsO'Sullivan2be

MrsO'Sullivan2be

Sadly we dont have that kind of budget - we could probably squeeze to £300 ...

Someone suggested drinks tokens but then not sure about that either ... ahahhag sooo difficult :)

MrsO'Sullivan2be, May 6, 2010
  5. MrsO'Sullivan2be

vhc

I read somewhere of a couple giving tokens out:
    So when the guest arrived, they got a token for one drink, then they would hand that to the barman, and the barman makes a list of all the drinks.

then you pay the total at the end (or when you settle up with the pub)

One drink each means it shouldn't be too expensive but everyone feels they've been treated!

vhc, May 6, 2010
  6. MrsO'Sullivan2be

vhc

[​IMG] haha! cross posts!

vhc, May 6, 2010
  7. MrsO'Sullivan2be

vhc

we're getting bottles of Perry (which is a sparkling pear wine: think Babycham) and serving glasses of it as toast drinks (can't afford anything more!)

it tastes nicer than champagne, and costs about £4 a bottle.

vhc, May 6, 2010
  8. MrsO'Sullivan2be

fall3n-ang3l

were only having drinks on arrival

sarah

fall3n-ang3l, May 6, 2010
  9. MrsO'Sullivan2be

Helen

We will be having a cash bar and no wine as we are having a hog roast. Our plan is to give a welcome drink like pimms (which I love lol) and thats all. I've been to several weddings that this now seems to be the norm for so I don't feel bad about doing it although my dad thinks it is wrong that our guests have to pay I've told him that's the way things are done now! :D

Helen, May 6, 2010
  10. MrsO'Sullivan2be

WelshBride

I was going to suggest giving out tokens as well [​IMG]

We're having a cash bar and having arrivial drinks and toast drink, cant afford anything else and dont think that any of our guests would expect anything more than that anyway.

WelshBride, May 6, 2010
  11. MrsO'Sullivan2be

SnugglesGirl

Our wedding package includes 2 Champagne toast (Sparkly wine me thinks) and thats all....so we are going to put some money behind the bar and maybe buy some bottles of wine out of this cash......so hard working out how much to allow for...plus we dont intend to tell people that the money is behind the bar.....I wouldnt mind the odd cocktail myself...haha [​IMG]

SnugglesGirl, May 14, 2010
  12. MrsO'Sullivan2be

vhc

Snuggles: if you don't intend to tell people the money is behind the bar, maybe you could use it to give them a large discount on their drinks, rather than pay outright for drinks? that way it would last longer.
    (but make sure the barman knows that yours and your new husband's drinks are completely paid for!)

vhc, May 15, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question