Backwards In Going Forwards

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by poppleminster, Aug 1, 2011.

1. poppleminster

poppleminster

I have yet another idea. Our registrar can only arrive at our venue at 1530 for a ceremony between 1600 and 1630.

This means we wont get to our reception venue until early evening realistically. As we're planning a twee event with outdoor games and garden fete type atmosphere, it's dawned on me that this is not going to work. Also, we have Ben's nan who is in her 90's and it'd be late for her as well as all the children, including my new baby who will be 7 months old.

So. I came up with a backwards idea. How about having the reception before the wedding? We could have guests arrive from 1130, have a wonderful luncheon and relaxed afternoon then Ben & I can get changed and catch the bus we're hiring with all our friends and family to the ceremony. It'd be a send on lunch rather than an after celebration.

At first I thought it daft but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. We don't drink so we can avoid the issue of providing alcohol at the reception, Ben doesn't want speeches so it clears that up and as I have only one family member coming (other than my children), it means i'm not getting ready on my own. I really quite like the idea of everyone being together and getting the bus to the Belvedere. We then have from 1630 to 1700 still on their hire period (annoyingly we have to pay for 1400 - 1700 and they are not flexible).

In the evening we can chill out with family and close friends somewhere with a nice glass of something chilled for those that want it and the kids not too tired and ratty and nan tucked up safe in bed.

What do you think? Am I mad?

poppleminster, Aug 1, 2011
    SeptemberBride likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Your not mad!! I think it sounds ace idea!
    I can so see why you would want to do that, make the most of your day. 4.30 is a late time, esp if your movign from venue to venue!

On a practical sense (Ill put sensible head on!) The only thing I would say is dont under estimate how long it can take you to get ready? Even get the dress on! And will you want a reception without the dress?

Will guests get ready for the wedding after the reception at same time as you? in which case they will need somewhere to do that. or will they come to the reception all glammed up, in which case the woman might want somewhere to freshen up (esp if photos are to be taken!)

I think travelling on the bus with everyone will be fab, relaxed and different!

MrsBrown, Aug 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. poppleminster

MrsC2Be

go for it. if it's what you want to do. it sounds like it makes sense. :)

MrsC2Be, Aug 2, 2011
  4. poppleminster

poppleminster

I could have three dresses? One pre wedding, wedding and evening? Oh now i'm excited.

poppleminster, Aug 2, 2011
    SeptemberBride likes this.
  5. poppleminster

Becky

I think it sounds like a brilliant idea! I have checked, and can confirm that there is no rule book which decrees thou shalt have thy reception after thy nuptials :D

I'm liking the idea of three dresses, although you could get away with having two (one for the lunch and ceremony and another for the evening). I agree with MrsBrown It may take up too much time getting changed before the ceremony. I imagine most people will get ready before they come for the lunch and then won't get changed for the ceremony.

When would you have the cake - would that be after lunch or after the ceremony?

I really like your new plan - it definitely makes sense with a late ceremony time! :)

Becky, Aug 2, 2011
  6. poppleminster

Helen

omg three dresses, excellent idea! Won't you want to be wearing your wedding dress for the recpetion though? I think you could wear it for that and then the ceremony as well, or did you want to make an official enterance in it?

I'm sure I have seen some (American) weddings on tv that have had the reception before the ceremony and then had a sunset ceremony.

I think it is a good idea and could work really well. Could you go back to the reception venue after your ceremony for those wishing to carry on the celebrations? You could always put out the uneaten food (there normally is some) and then it wouldn't go to waste. I also like Becky's idea of having the cake after the ceremony. And cheese mmmm.

Helen, Aug 2, 2011
  7. poppleminster

poppleminster

We'll probably go for the idea despite people here thinking it's unconventional. I would however think they'd worry if we were ever conventional. I love the idea of just relaxing in the evening. Oh and three dresses is ESSENTIAL. I have really long curly hair that i'm only putting a comb and veil into so wont take long to do but someone will need to strap me into my dress.

Cake afterwards :) I need two more pairs of shoes and another dress now! YAY :D Not that i'm spoilt or anything.

poppleminster, Aug 2, 2011
  8. poppleminster

airy_fairy

I think it's a brilliant plan! If it helps we are already married and have already had one very small but luxurious reception last Wed (report to follow!) but are holding a humanist ceremony that everyone else is coming to tis sat and having a tradional reception afterwards (another report will follow!) so we're a little bit backwards too - and I have two dresses and two pairs of shoes!

airy_fairy, Aug 2, 2011
  9. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Like like like!!!!!!
    How about this?
    You could always get ready for the reception in the morning, then hair and make up will be done get before your guests arrive. you could then put on one dress, which could be relaxed enough for you to play your games etc, Then just before the bus arrives you can go off and get ready into your 'wedding' dress (and touch up make up if needed). This way you can make a 'grand' enterence in your dress! it will a surprise for your guests and h2b and be like the enterence to your wedding just a bit earlier!!

When you got back you could cut the cake/ cheese etc (i think you might want to spend a little time in your dress)
    Then you could put the other dress back on.... or ok have another one!!!

After all, Kate Middleton had more than 1 dress!

MrsBrown, Aug 2, 2011
  10. poppleminster

Becky

I'm liking the sound of all this! :)

You just watch, give us a few days and we'll have persuaded you that you need a new dress every hour and 10 pairs of shoes!! :D

Becky, Aug 3, 2011
  11. poppleminster

muckypaws

Ditto everyone else :angry:

muckypaws, Aug 3, 2011
  12. poppleminster

poppleminster

Cool. Sorted then. Thanks everyone :angry: Time to start plotting!

poppleminster, Aug 3, 2011
  13. poppleminster

MrsBrown

and a new bag to go with each dress??

MrsBrown, Aug 3, 2011
  14. poppleminster

Becky

Naturally! :angry:

Becky, Aug 3, 2011
  15. poppleminster

poppleminster

You are wicked but I like you both :angry:

16. poppleminster

MrsBrown

I really really cant wait for your wedding report! 3 dresses!!!!!! Heaven!!

Will you little girl get 3 dresses??? How much was your wedding budget! have we just spent it all on dress/shoes etc!!!! ha ha

MrsBrown, Aug 3, 2011
  17. poppleminster

poppleminster

Given that my wedding dress was 150 by the time I cleaned it etc and my reception dress was 10 on the oxfam website and my shoes were both ebay bargains at 99p, I think I can allow myself a third dress. I will have seven months to shift baby weight so should all be ok. Now i'll need a new bag too. . .

18. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Wow to cost of dresses!! knowing your eye for a bargin you could probably pick up a bargin gorgeous bag as well!!

Have we seen pics of your dress? (pretty please!)

MrsBrown, Aug 3, 2011
  19. poppleminster

poppleminster

Pops already has three dresses so she is covered. Two were from a closing down wedding shop on ebay and were a whole 9.99 and the third was from a charity shop new at 2 pounds. She'll need shoes though.

20. poppleminster

poppleminster

Search on here for poppleminsters cunning plan. On planning section. Has all my pictures I think. Xxx

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question