Article Help

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by MrsPandP, May 30, 2010.

1. MrsPandP

MrsPandP

Hi Ladies,

I am writing an article on the geographical differences of UK Brides/Grooms.

I am looking for information on whats your priorities in the wedding process.

what aspect have you invested most in. ?

Are you planning a grand affair or is DIY your mainstay.?

And I would also like to know your thoughts on what you think a wedding planner does, and if there are reasons why or why not you would use help ie. a planner for your wedding.

Thanks, I appreciate your help, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Alison

ps. If you would rather email your answer then you can PM for my email.

pps. There is no ulterior motive in this post, not advertising, just would really like your honest views so I can write a good comprehensive article

MrsPandP, May 30, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsPandP

iPrincess26

Hi Alison

Our main priority was being married to be honest we are both quite laid back and so the order of the day is fun,fun,fun.

We have a tiny budget and i mean tiny (it was £1500, upped to £2500 (max) after foregoing any type of holiday this year due to the caterers coming in at £2000 at the moment) due to this and my obsession with organizing , it's DIY all they way and no budget for a wedding planner. The only thing I think it might help with (and I plan on speaking to the venue about this) is the logistics of the day.

We are in the same place all day but you have to go through the room for the reception to get to the ceremony room so not sure about set up etc and where to get photos done. But as bth of us are amateur photographers and complete geeks I'm sure we will get it sorted.

Hope this helps you.

iPrincess26, May 30, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsPandP

Becky

Hi Alison :)

I'm based in Manchester (although originally from Dorset) and my H2B is from the North East. Thought you might need to know this if your article has a geographical theme!

Right from the start, we wanted the main focus of our wedding to be a big fun party for all our family and friends. We wanted a relaxed feel to the day, and booked a barn as our venue (Sandhole Oak Barn). We looked at some gorgeous manor houses, but just didn't think they were really 'us'. The aspect that we have invested the most in is definitely the venue and catering/drinks, as getting this right was really important to us.

I wouldn't really describe our wedding as 'grand', and being a fairly creative person I really want to get involved in the venue decorations, stationery, etc because I find it fun. However if someone was offering exactly what I wanted at the right price, then I would go with that as it would probably be a far more polished result than I could achieve!

We have chosen not to have a wedding planner, mainly because the support we have had from the various suppliers has meant we didn't feel the need for one. Our caterer in particular will take charge on the day, and is very hands on concerning venue decoration ideas etc. We also really enjoy the planning process and wouldn't want someone else to just take care of it for us.

I don't think I really know what a wedding planner does, although presumably it would depend on what the couple were looking for. I guess some couples might want someone else to organise everything for them, others may just want help here and there...?

Hope this is useful!

Becky

Becky, May 30, 2010
  4. MrsPandP

MrsPandP

Thanks ladies , I really appreciate your input.

MrsPandP, May 30, 2010
  5. MrsPandP

Mrsg2b2011

Hi Alison,
    I live in Hertfordshire but am getting married in Essex.
    My priorities I think really is just getting married really but next to that is that everyone has a fun relaxing day. Just want everyone to enjoy it!
    My wedding is mostly DIY, my dresses are being made [​IMG] so are the groom's & groomsmen's waistcoats (I am not making myself but am helping out) I am making my own bouquets & flowergirl wands. Not making invites but only because BIL2b is a graphic designer & would take extreme offence if we didn't ask him [​IMG] .

Same as Becky, I am not sure what a wedding planner does from what the moveis show looks like they are shouted at alot & have a lot of stress! I know they do negotiate alot of deals to save money but we are not having one as can't fit in our budget & totally trust our venue manager to take control of the day. Also think our venue is very reasonable for how gorgeous it is [​IMG]

Hope this helps hun x

Mrsg2b2011, May 30, 2010
  6. MrsPandP

MrsApplen2be

Hi we are both from south wales been together since we were 16 and i wanted to be married to have children which h2b has always known. He's getting broody and therefore we are getting married and I would definately say that the marriage is my main priority and given the chance to start again I would possibly go away just me and him and just get married. Dress is a big priority once the date is set :) tee hee.

I started off having a small wedding which has grown and grown through no fault of my own, other people's contributions and other people's opinions. I suppose the food is costing the most out of everything.

We have been really lucky and had many helpful and talented friends including invitation maker, flower arranger and 2 amateur photographers.

We have someone called a wedding planner with our venue.....basically their the wedding manager and they set up the room on the day, cause you problems and take your money. Cant say I would ever hire a "real" wedding planner, dont see the point and they know no more than what you could find on one of these forums. Plus planning is all part of the fun......or stress. xx

MrsApplen2be, May 30, 2010
  7. MrsPandP

poppleminster

What is the article for? Just being nosey :D

For the geographical part is it to ascertain correlations for which area of the country spends most and priorotises things? In which case are you wanting the amounts we spend as well as our opinions? Just thinking of ways we can help you more maybe.

I am in Devon but moved here recently from East Sussex. The priority list for the wedding is venue, practicality and theme. We are wanting an event that reflects our personality. Most of it we are doing ourselves as it's fun, traditional and savess a fortune. We're really shocked at the way the price of everything goes up if you add the word 'wedding' to it, especially venues. Hire the hall for a party and it's £100, hire for a reception and it's £500 seems so common.

Geographically the largest populated area of the country must be the south east where I came from and the difference in both number of beautiful venues and cost is huge compared to living in Devon. My wedding plans so far would have been well over £1000 more expensive in Sussex.

Wedding planners. They seem to be really useful not just to those with a high budget but also those that are really busy and don't have the time to trawl the net looking for venues, ideas, suppliers etc. My sister used one and they organised everything but whilst it was personalised in that she chose the colours, venue etc, you can't help thinking she spent a nut on items that were entirely unnecessary and could have been sourced far cheaper elsewhere. She didn't want the stress, she just wanted to turn up on the day and walk into a dream fairytale wedding which is what she got - at a huge expense. The wedding planner was cheap but only because her income came from commission from the venue and florists etc so my sister could have saved lots going to them directly.

To us, the traditional aspect of planning and making things ourselves is part of the build up to the event and without that excitement, it'd be very strange.

poppleminster, Jun 1, 2010
  8. MrsPandP

MrsBrown

Hi, I am getting married near keighley west yorks.

We are really lucky to have a reasonable budget for our wedding which is a good job really as the venue has 'preferred suppliers' (i.e you have to use!) which have a price tag to match! Its a National Trust place and you have to use their list or ask permision to use others (apparently so that no one puts drawing pins in the oak beams he he!!) its really not that grand, its an old barn that doesnt even have a kitchen or toilets! (there are some nearby dont worry!!) However its a listed building. I fell in love with it when we went to look and just had to get married there! I have been about 10 times since and even joined the national trust just so we can go sit in the gardens!

Anyway, we get a sort of wedding coordinator who is there to help, though we havent really used her. She has organised events like getting all the suppliers together for us to meet though. Anyway to some degree the preferred supplier list has been a blessing. Yes, most of the suppliers are expensive but I havent had to search round for a florist, band, photographer, caterer or even chair cover supplier!! We did have a choice from 2 or 3 people for each, but as they are used to working at the venue they know it very well and came with fab reputations.

I really cant imagine walking into a florist/ photographer etc etc and trying to work out if they are any good or not. Neither me or my H2b have lived in the area for long and both started new jobs so dont even have people close we can ask for advice.

Anyway we have tried to personalise the wedding as much as possible, I have made my own invitations and will be making the favours and table decor. I can see why people would want a wedding planner to sort out some things such as negotating with venues etc and making sure that everything is sorted (i stress i have missed something major!

MrsBrown, Jun 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question