Any Tips For Flowers / Centerpieces?

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by nahatalie, Sep 18, 2012.

1. nahatalie

nahatalie

Hi, just wondered if anyone had any tips when organising the flowers / centerpieces. We've already had a meeting with one florist recommended by our venue, but I found her a little rude which makes me not want to give her any business. We have another consultation with a different florist on Saturday, so wondering if anyone had any tips on saving money on flowers.

Also, if anyone would be kind enough to take the time, does £780 sound expensive for the following? ( I know it depends on species of flowers, size etc, just imagine "generic" and "average" :), we're having anything out of the ordinary etc)

Brial bouquet with crystals in the roses, 2 X bridesmaids bouquet, buttons holes for men X 6, coursage for MOB and MIL, 8 X centrepieces of just flowers stuck into an oasis, 1 X top table arrangement, silk petals for scattering on top table.

I know it's difficult to estimate based on that, but wondered if that's the kind of going rate for flowers. We will have the second quote on Sat to compare, just wondered if anyone had any tips on getting it cheaper, and whether £780 is a lot for standard wedding flowers.

nahatalie, Sep 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. nahatalie

MrsBrown

Our wedding flowers were ridiculously expensive but they were amazing. We went for expensive flowers but didn't have any other decoration on the table or in the room apart from homemade bunting. We paid about £1200 I think and had 9 very large table arrangements 5 button holes, 5 corsages, 3 fairy wands, my bouquet, and 2 large decor on plinths with candles for the ceremony. The florist skills were amazing like for the corsages she did them in bracelets with pearls and wire etc. The regret I have is that all that money and I went on honeymoon and left them, though we gave them away to people who had helped us as thank you and put some on grandparents graves (and didn't bother with gifts for mums etc as so many flowers) My house was like a florist shop.

I guess really it depends on your budget and the flowers. Personally i wouldn't think £750 wasnt too bad but I know other brides have got cheaper. Ask to see work she has down before and be happy with it, you mention flowers stuck in oasis so didn't sound too impressed?? You don't have to do that, my friend recently had small square vases with roses in bunched together. Very simple but effective and worked well with her long tables as didnt take up much space.
    I also wouldn't want to pay that if I didn't think the flowers we're worth it!!!

Omg, I when I think of how much my flowers cost I think people spend that on their wedding!! But we had choice of 2 florists. our venue was national trust you could have alternatives but had to ask permission and I fell in love with the work of one of them. The day after when we went t o pick up the flowers they were setting up for another wedding and the flowers just arrived and were not good shall I say!!! Flowers stuck in oasis but not in a nice way... Even our planner couldn't hide her surprise and suggested we leave them ours! . It really did make my venue spending so much in flowers and fitted in with our garden wedding theme. However is also know other brides on here who have done amazing things with some vases from the charity shop and discount flowers from tesco.. So doesn't have to be expensive.

Get your other quote, expensive doesn't always mean better but ask to see their work and see what ideas they have too.

Let us know how you get on.

MrsBrown, Sep 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. nahatalie

Helen

I don't think that is overpriced based on what you are saying you are getting but it does depend on the quality and type of flowers and the overall finish of the arrangements. If you aren't happy with a supplier then don't go with them, you will only regret it and wish you had chosen someone else.

I did my own flowers, so all I paid for was flowers (and I didn't have any 'greenery' just flowers) and I spend nearly as much as your quote just buying them. I did have alot of flowers - I did 20 flower jugs plus about 20 jam jars and four large milk churns. It would have cost an absolute fortune I am sure using a florist. I just wanted to do it myself especially as I wanted the more informal and less styled look.

HelenandMatt00015.jpg
    HelenandMatt00048.jpg

I also had some outside flowers, two hanging baskets and some pots/baskets of flowers by the doors.

HelenandMatt00057.jpg
    HelenandMatt00053.jpg

I'll post you some photos so you get an idea of what I had for the cost. Oh and I bought them from flowers 4 florists direct from the Amsterdam flower markets.

HelenandMatt00002.jpg
    HelenandMatt00014.jpg
    HelenandMatt00025.jpg
    HelenandMatt00034.jpg
    HelenandMatt00046.jpg
    HelenandMatt00047.jpg

Helen, Sep 19, 2012
  4. nahatalie

Becky

The quote doesn't sound too bad to me, but speak to other people if you didn't get on with them. It makes such a difference if you are dealing with people who you like - especially when you are paying them so much money!! If you can't find anyone else and you do end up using their services, then at least you won't feel bad haggling with them if they've been rude in the past!

Oh and in terms of saving money with flowers, see if you can double up as much as possible. On the top table we had some vases which we put our bouquets in to form the table centre. We also used some of our table decorations to decorate the ceremony hall too.

Becky, Sep 19, 2012
  5. nahatalie

nahatalie

Oh yes, our ceremony flowers will become top table flowers. Thanks for the response, I think I'll adjust my thoughts about flowers to accepting that as a general quote, but I'll go with someone else I think. I saw the lady again at a wedding fayre at our venue at the weekend, and I overheard her talking to a potential customer. Just has a strange way about her, I don't think she means to be but she comes across as a bit grumpy and rude lol. I want to deal with someone who's enthusiastic and pleasant ha ha.

Woo weddings! I am still so excited about everthing!

nahatalie, Sep 19, 2012
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question