Anthrophobia And Weddings..help?

Discussion in 'Emotional Support' started by MrsStobe813, Aug 7, 2011.

1. MrsStobe813

MrsStobe813

Hey ladies,
    Here's my dilemma, as much as I think every bride out there looks beautiful, there's one thing I hate - bouquets! I have a HUGE flower phobia! When my Grandad's pond callia lilies used to flower, I wouldn't even walk past the pond! Daffodils are a no go and I won't sit on the grass unless my family/friends pick all the daisies in a 3ft radius circle so I'm not sat on or near any! If a tree is in flower (conker trees, apple blossom and tulip trees are classics) I won't walk under it and I won't even let poor Matt grow basil now I know it flowers! If somebody got on the bus with a bouquet of flowers usually I got off and waite for the next one, when I do my Monday weekly shop I skirt round the veggies to avoid the flowers and ask my Mum to get me anything that's near them!

I hit a problem in June when Matt rbought me a bouquet as I'd made our home lovely. The roses and baby's breath were beautiful, but the bouquet also contains freesias which started to flower after a day or two so I had to ask Matt to pull them out. I could see in his face it hurt him and I felt really horrible. I spent days after that dodging the waste bin because I know it contained freesias!

Any flowers with visible stamens are right off the list- lilies, fuscias, crocuses, bleeding hearts, freesias, tulips, you name it, it's off. Any vegetable that flowers is a no-no for me to plant it (though I'm ok with runner bean flowers, I actually think they're very pretty) and I have a very small selection of what I'll accept. My tight selection comprises of roses, coronations, primroses, pansies, begonias and geraniums. I don't want to carry balloons or lollipops down the aisle but I know an all-rose bouquet will be very costly! Even the flowers I can accept I will hold pretty much at arms length and won't touch the heads!

I'm fine looking at the flowers I can bear, but the idea of touching them or seeing the one's I can't accept makes me feel sick and tense. If I see them, I actually involuntarily shudder. My Mum can even recall an incident when I was 14 whereby I nearly fainted in Focus because ne of the wallpapers had a big lily printed on it! Come to that, whenever my Dad recieved his Marshalls Seeds catalog I wouldn't touch it if there were pictures of flowers on the front! It's that pathetic!

Has anyone got any advice? I'm really beginning to fear our big day because of it :-(

Many thanks

MrsStobe813 x

MrsStobe813, Aug 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsStobe813

poppleminster

I'd say to get to the doctor and be referred to a professional. As it's a genuine phobia, they should help if you ask :D

poppleminster, Aug 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsStobe813

Becky

Oh my goodness, I've not heard of this before...! Have you thought about a bouquet made from brooches?

Becky, Aug 7, 2011
  4. MrsStobe813

MrsStobe813

I haven't Becky, it is unusual but it does occur. It annoys me because most girls are smitten with flowers, I run as fast as I can away from them! I hadn't thought to mention it to my GP, though..

MrsStobe813 x

MrsStobe813, Aug 7, 2011
  5. MrsStobe813

muckypaws

wooden roses ?

muckypaws, Aug 7, 2011
  6. MrsStobe813

MrsStobe813

Might look a bit stiff...I might look at silk ones, though! I'm still finding it hard emotionally to think that I might not be carrying real flowers on my wedding, though :-(

MrsStobe813 x

MrsStobe813, Aug 7, 2011
  7. MrsStobe813

ElmoGrace

If you really want actual flowers - from your short list of okays - then meeting with a free lance florist who will do picture mock ups of the specific things you ask for, and shouldnt include anything you dont like without consulting you. Plus you dont actually have to go into a florist shop! So its a win win.

Failing that - broaches, silk flowers, material flowers, wooden flowers, feathers, or anything you mind can think of!

ElmoGrace, Aug 7, 2011
  8. MrsStobe813

Becky

...but if you have a phobia of flowers, then an alternative is reasonable! :D

Check out these, they are really pretty :D

Brooch bouquets.jpg Silver brooch bouquet.jpg

I think the silver one would look lovely with your colour scheme

Becky, Aug 7, 2011
  9. MrsStobe813

poppleminster

They are awesome Becky. Great ideas.

I think you are probably winding yourself up a bit and getting all worried when your wedding shouldn't be something to worry about so much. Perhaps chill for a bit, you've been really through it recently and are worrying about a lot of things when you have two years to go yet. You have a long time to get ideas and sort things out without needing to panic. Perhaps look round the net and get ideas from magazines. I'm sure people have probably suggested all this to you before on the other forums but you really don't need to worry about so many things. :D
    xxx

poppleminster, Aug 7, 2011
  10. MrsStobe813

Helen

As people have already mentioned your phobia I'll skirt around that and get to the alternative bouquets :D

Alternative bouquets are right up my street. I love flowers but I really wanted an alternative bouquet, I don't know which style I would have chosen but I did look into it a fair bit. There are so many things you could have instead, I'll post a selection of photos for you to look at, maybe you can choose a bouquet style and take bits from that to have decorating your venue.

balloons.jpg
    baubles.jpg
    butterflies.jpg
    View attachment buttons.bmp
    crystals.jpg
    fans.jpg
    View attachment feathers.bmp
    View attachment felt.bmp
    felt2.jpg
    lollipop.jpg
    paper.jpg
    View attachment shells.bmp
    wirework.jpg

We got married abroad and I wanted to use the same bouquet there as at our UK reception (so real flowers were a no). Sadly when I mentioned these alternatives to my oh he was not pleased! He wanted traditional flowers so I compromised and choose silk flowers.

Bear in mind that you can have these alternatives in any colour and any style you like, you are not at all limited in your choices if you choose not to have real flowers. You might even say there are more options. Have fun choosing! :D

Helen, Aug 8, 2011
  11. MrsStobe813

MrsStobe813

Popple,
    That's me all over! I get myself worked up so, so easily over such small things, then end up crashing and binging on bad foods :-( I have been thinking about ivory rose, pearls and foliage, but I don't want something that creates a total white-out!

MrStobe813 x

MrsStobe813, Aug 8, 2011
  12. MrsStobe813

MrsStobe813

I did wonder about silk, but it's finding a quality silk rose a the ones get sometimes are urk..not life-like at all! I was wondering how much it might cost to buy some to knock something up nearer the time, just to ee if I'm comfortable with it or if I till feel they look far too artificial!

MrStobe813 x (alo another Helen, but spare us the confusion!)

MrsStobe813, Aug 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question