Advice Needed: How To Fit The Speeces Into My 'informal' Wedding

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by beccahanson, Jan 9, 2013.

1. beccahanson

beccahanson

So it's not long now until I get married and I would really value advice from you ladies about where and how to fit the speeches in.

I do love a good traditional wedding but by nature we are both totally laid back and casual and our wedding reflects this (hence the fact that I've only just started to organise our October 2013 wedding!!)

My current itinerary is as follows (I have organised all this in the last 3 days!)
    Ceremony @ church 3pm
    VW camper vans to reception venue (really pretty country pub with function room) 4pm
    Pimms on arrival
    Hog roast 6:30pm - tables in the function room but no top table as such....just a round table for the bridal party.
    Cocktail hour 8pm
    Dancing the night away from then on!

My question is, whilst clearly I haven't gone down the 'traditional route', my dad would love to say a few words - so where and HOW the heck can I fit the speeches in?!

Any ideas would be so gratefully recieved :)

beccahanson, Jan 9, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. beccahanson

iPrincess26

How about on arrival with the pimms? Or just before the hog roast?

iPrincess26, Jan 9, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. beccahanson

Becky

Hiya and welcome to the forums! :) I don't see why you can't have them in the usual place - ie after everyone has eaten. Generally when everyone is sat down with a full stomach they are happy to listen!

How is the rest of your planning going?

Becky, Jan 10, 2013
  4. beccahanson

beccahanson

That's the issue though unfortunately, with it being a casual hog roast serve-youself affair, there will probably not be a point where everyone it sat down with a full stomach (at least not all at the same time anyway!)

@iprincess26 I like the idea of doing it with the drinks on arrival maybe I could change this to champagne and do a toast whilst everyone is in the bar - but as Becky said people might be itching to get settled and eat.

Dilemma!

beccahanson, Jan 10, 2013
  5. beccahanson

Becky

Ah right I see... I do like iprincess' suggestion of speeches during drinks - maybe leave it a bit first so that everyone can get settled?

Becky, Jan 10, 2013
  6. beccahanson

Helen

I like the idea of speeches on arrival, I have been to a wedding where they did this (so the groom could eat without being nervous about the speech!). Are you going to be having lots of people speak or just your dad? If it is more than one person it could go on a little and make people restless for their food.

Just to throw in a couple of other ideas - how about speeches at cocktail hour, or before the band/disco start? You could be very unconventional and have them in the church after or during the ceremony, that could work really well as you would have everyones attention.

Helen, Jan 20, 2013
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question