A Wedding Report: Its Odd What Fate Throws At You

Discussion in 'Just Married - Wedding Reports' started by I'mAJones, May 4, 2010.

1. I'mAJones

Mrsg2b2011

Wow wow wow absolutely mamzing!!! You looked stunning!!! Your dad's face he looks so proud it actually chocked me up, and then to see your hubby so emotional with happiness made me well up even more! Had a good laugh at your best man though, sorry but it is a great pic! Infact all your pics are brilliant you must be so pleased with your photographer!!
    Love the way you tell it all too, can't wait for the next installment... :)xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

Thank you ladies, we had the most amazing time and would both love to do it all over again. It really was the best day of our lives (so far, we imagine having our first child might be up there too). Julia, thankfully everything did go to plan, in fact it was more perfect than we could ever have imagined. We have had so many lovely comments from our guests since the wedding, particularly about how fun and meaningful the ceremony was and how enjoyable the reception was.

With regard to any advice we would give, mine would be to not worry about the minute details. We bought some table diamonds and they were never put on the tables, to be honest we didn't even notice and so obviously didn't miss them. Atmosphere is all important, ours was set (according to our guests) because we were so happy and loved up and that apparently made for a really relaxed and happy day. We had a live band and that went down really really well, would highly recommend that if you can afford it. We also did some activity bags for the children with activity books in and a few toys. They were well used and kept the little ones busy for hours. They especially loved the drinking straw glasses we got from Hawkin's Bazaar! We also did a "who's who?" on the back of the menus for each table. That was well received too and really helped break the ice when there were people who didn't know each other on the tables. We also split groups up on the seating plan to get people talking, it worked too because lots of them have become friends since the wedding. Finally, I was quite a relaxed bride to be and didn't have a strict plan of timings etc. On the day we were running an hour behind but we didn't care because we were having so much fun. It will go so fast and be over before you know it. Enjoy the build up, that's one of the best parts.

One bit of advice I got which I took was to spend as long as you can on the dance floor. I was there from first to last dance, excluding toilet breaks and the need to get fresh air as I was so hot from bouncing around, I don't think I've ever danced so much. If people want to spend time with you they will come and dance too! Hope that helps!!

I'mAJones, Jun 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. I'mAJones

MrsBrown

I've only just had chane to catch up on your reports, you look amazing and congrats! Your Mum (I think it is your Mum- sorry if not) has the same outfit as my Mum is wearing only Mum's is in a lilac/ pinky colour :) The lacey one. She looks amazing too

MrsBrown, Jun 22, 2010
  4. I'mAJones

juliak

Thank you MrsJones, everything looked absolutely perfect and thank you for the advice. I think we're all stressing about every little thing but you're right, if you're too worried stressing then you're not going to enjoy it as much and the guests will pick up on that and become on edge as well. I'm glad your day was so perfect to you, that is THE most important thing and I think it will do all of us novices well to remember that, thanks.
    xxx

juliak, Jun 22, 2010
  5. I'mAJones

flo2310

Love love LOVE the cake!! Was is sponge or fruit?

Also love the pic of the best man - he looks like he's really "feeling the moment"!!

All in all a fab report, fab day and fab bride! Congrats! xx

flo2310, Jun 22, 2010
  6. I'mAJones

Mrsg2b2011

Loving the idea to spend all night on the dance floor!! I had already decided that was what I was doing. Already said to people if you can't find me look on the dance floor!!! Thats where i'll be :D xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 22, 2010
  7. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

It's stunning isn't it? It was a real shame to cut into it. It was fruit on the bottom, death by chocolate for the second layer, strawberry and champagne Victoria sponge on the third layer and carrot cake on top. It was delicious and it all went, every last bit! Considering we only had 80 guests that's pretty good going. We saved the flowers off it and my mother in law is going to make them into a photo frame for us. Not sure how but it will be a really nice reminder of our wedding day.

I'mAJones, Jun 22, 2010
  8. I'mAJones

ilovepink1984

That cake sounds like heaven!! Esp the death by chocolate and strawberry and champagne! How delicious!! Hope you got to try a bit of all of them?! The photo frame idea sounds intriguing! But what a lovely idea. Everytime you look at it you will get lovely memories :D

Thanks for all the advice/tips too. I'll def be spending as much time on the dance floor as possible!! We are only having a max of 80 guests as well, about 20 are coming in the evening so hopefully I'll have spoken to the majority of the guests before the evening do so I can spend most of the time dancing!! I've been worried that 80 guests wouldn't create much of an atmosphere but by the sounds of your wedding we'll be absolutely fine! Congrats again xxx

ilovepink1984, Jun 22, 2010
  9. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

Our big day: The reception (Part 1)

After leaving the church we spent some time outside it being congratulated by our guests and catching up with people we haven't seen for a while. It was really nice to spend some time catching our breath but really surreal at the same time when people were calling me Mrs Jones. Even 2 months later I struggle with that, and still sign my maiden name everywhere. When we booked the church we were told that we weren't allowed to have confetti so told our guests in the guest information book not to bring any, however one person did and we managed to get one confetti shot but as it was so windy it really didn't work so we didn't manage to get any good confetti photos. We then made our way to the car and hopped in so we could go straight to the reception venue. Here we are in the car just before we left the church:

It was nice spending the few minutes alone with my new hubby but we really didn't get the chance to chat properly because once again the driver didn't know where he was going! It made for an interesting few minutes before we arrived at the hotel! Once we got there we were greeted by the duty manager who had brought us some Kir Royale and it was at this point that I realised that we we really were the centre of attention. The hotel had laid red carpet for us and we felt like royalty. As I said earlier it was quite windy. The photographer's assistant just so happened to take this picture just as we'd got out of the car. It was after this picture that I really had to learn to control the veil!

Here's us with or welcome drinks, notice how I've secured the veil in my hands. I didn't want it blowing into my drink, that would have been a complete disaster!

We spent some time getting professional photos taken before going inside for our wedding breakfast.
    This is the one with the flower microphone:

When we went inside I decided that the veil had had it's day and took it off before the receiving line, which was just me and my hubby. It was really nice saying hello to everyone as we didn't have chance to speak to everyone at the church. When all the guests had been seated the duty manager announced us to the room and we entered rather quickly, even though I did like the fact that it was our wedding I wasn't too keen on be on display that much so I basically entered the room, ran to my seat and sat down, with B running behind in order to keep up. The photos of this part are really amusing as I really don't look comfortable at all.

We then ate our wedding breakfast which included a pea and asparagus tartlet for starter, rump of lamb for main course and sticky toffee pudding and ice cream for pudding. I managed the first two courses but couldn't eat the pudding, which was a real shame as it was delicious! Whilst everyone else was eating pudding our photographer took us round the room and we had our photos taken with every table. This was a really good idea as we've ended up with pictures of us with everyone who came to celebrate with us. Then it was time for the speeches.

If you recall my Dad was really nervous before the wedding and it was only just before he got up to speak that he told us that this was the part that he was most nervous about and his wobbles at the church had been because he knew that the speech was getting closer and closer. My Dad has a strange sense of humour and in the run up to the wedding we worried about what he would say, however those worries were completely unfounded. His speech was full of pride and love and he pulled it off really well. It was nice to see the relief on his face when it was all over though! B's speech was lovely too. He talked about how we met and how happy he'd been since I entered his life. He thanked me for everything I do for him and for having made the choice to continue living away from my family so that I could stay with him. Here's B saying something amusing:

I made a speech after B as I'm more comfortable with public speaking and so it was my job to say all the thank you's to everyone. I did really well until it came to thanking Vanessa for everything she had done and then I wobbled. The watch that her other half had bought for her 21st birthday broke a few months before the wedding and we replaced it as her thank you present. She was so touched by this and cried, which almost made me me cry too. Next came the best man, he's somewhat of a comedian as it is so his speech was very funny, lots of insight into B's teenage years and what they got up to and B's drunken ideas for everyday problems, which B of course claimed was pure "slander". Here's B's response:

Before we cut the cake we managed the collar the best man for his "slanderous"accusations:

and finally, for now, the cutting of the cake:

I'mAJones, Jun 22, 2010
  10. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

The Reception: Part 2

Following the meal the staff changed the room around for the evening reception and we moved to the bar area so they could do this. Here's a pic of us feeling much more relaxed now that the formalities were over:

After a short interlude it was then time for our first dance. We danced to Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars. We chose it because it was always played on the radio when we first met and would always be on when B had to leave for work and we didn't want to be apart. I have to admit that I'm not keen on the first dance photos, purely because I think my arms look huge in them! Here's the most forgiving one I could find:

After our first dance our excellent band, Hussy, took to the stage. We chose them from the internet because they play a lot of indie music and were really lucky because they were absolutely amazing! Here's them performing:

and me dancing (and singing), having the time of my life:

Whilst everyone was dancing our photographer took us outside and snapped this picture, which is one of our favourites:

I don't really remember much of the evening apart from dancing for hours and hours. At the end of the night when the DJ had stopped playing everyone who was left stood in a circle and started singing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. It was such a lovely moment and a really fitting end to the day. The DJ even played it for us when we'd finished so he could have a repeat performance of the theatrics coming from some of our guests! We ended the night with a large glass of Baileys before going to bed at 2am as Mr and Mrs Jones. It really is odd you know, what fate throws at you!

Overall, we had the most amazing time and would love to do it all over again. I hope you ladies (and gents) have as much fun as we did! Good luck ...

I'mAJones, Jun 22, 2010
  11. I'mAJones

poppleminster

I've really loved this thread and the photos. It sounds like the best thing to happen in your life is joining that dating site! :D

poppleminster, Jun 22, 2010
  12. I'mAJones

Helen

Fab report! Sounds like you had an amazing time, I've really loved reading about it thank you :D

Helen, Jun 24, 2010
  13. I'mAJones

Becky

What a fantastic report! :) I love your pictures - my favourite on has to be you two standing over the best man though, brilliant!! :lol:

Becky, Jun 24, 2010
  14. I'mAJones

Mrsg2b2011

What an amazing repsrt!! Loved it right from the start! Gorgeous pics you look so amazingly happy! Ps fab choice of 1st dance music thats what me & h2b are dancing to as its our song to for the same reasons!! :)

Congratulations Mr & Mrs Jones xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 24, 2010
  15. I'mAJones

angelcake71

lovely rport and pics..congrats xx

angelcake71, Jul 16, 2010
  16. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

Thanks for all your lovely comments ladies. I've now removed most of the pics where you could identify us but left up the other stuff.

I'mAJones, Jul 20, 2010
  17. I'mAJones

vhc

ahh, that'll explain why i can't see any of them! :lol: :rolleyes:

can you edit them so that your faces are blurred?
    you can save them as copies and post them.

I missed it all!

(but i love the pictures i can see)

and i've read all the information - it really does sound like you had a wonderful day.
    :)

vhc, Jul 27, 2010
  18. I'mAJones

MrsMay2011

Boo, I missed the pics too! The ones that are up clearly show what a wonderful day it is was though.

MrsMay2011, Jul 29, 2010
  19. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

Sorry vhc and MrsMay, I've popped them back up for just for you and to make up for taking them away I'll add a few more of my favourites.

My MoH helping my younger bridesmaid get ready:

Bobbie putting her shoes on:

My two mothers whilst we were getting ready:

B holding my bouquet:

Mmmmm ... chocolate covered strawberries:

I'mAJones, Sep 4, 2010
  20. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

You may kiss the bride ...

Holding hands with B and my Dad:

and finally, laughing because I couldn't put my earring in:

I'mAJones, Sep 4, 2010