A Wedding Report: Its Odd What Fate Throws At You

Discussion in 'Just Married - Wedding Reports' started by I'mAJones, May 4, 2010.

1. I'mAJones

*Pink-bride*

ooh i love this so far!
    xx

*Pink-bride*, May 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. I'mAJones

Beckickles

MORE!!!!! [​IMG]

Beckickles, May 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. I'mAJones

Mrsg2b2011

More more more please am loving reading your report & I am desperate to see your pics xxx

Mrsg2b2011, May 26, 2010
  4. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

Sorry about the delay guys, I've been mad busy with work and we've been busy doing up the house! So here's the next instalment.

Tying it all together

So, I had my blossom theme, all we needed was the date. B really wanted our wedding to be on a bank holiday weekend and Easter popped out for me. Not only was it when blossom would start to grow on the trees but it was, more importantly for B, a celebration of Chocolate! For me the religious aspect also felt important and what better time of year to celebrate the joining of two people than a celebration of endings and re-birth. What more a perfect time to end our single lives and begin a new one as a married couple.

With 11 months to go we sent out save the dates for our Easter Saturday wedding. After the save the dates were sent I had permission to go dress shopping. The one and only part of the whole planning experience that filled me with complete and utter dread! Yes, I'd drawn pictures of the wedding dress I might one day want when I was a child, it was big and puffy, but that really wasn't the grown up me. I spent hours trawling through the websites of practically every designer and there were so may beautiful dresses, big ones and slim ones, lace, silk, chiffon and diamantés. My mind boggled and I had no idea what I wanted or what I was doing. I also had grand ideas about losing weight in the two year run up to the wedding and did really well to get down from a size 18 to a size 14, the dress size I set as my goal. I had this notion that all brides should be thin and in order for me to fit into dress samples I had to be even smaller, after all I'd read in various places that wedding dress sizes were a little on the small side. The problem came in my weight loss plan when I totally hit a wall. Psychologically I'd reached my goal and there was no way that I was going to lose any more so when I went dress shopping all I could think about was how big my dress would need to be and how I'd have to have dresses pinned to me, not pinned into them. So, given that I had no idea what I liked and I was panicking about nothing fitting, I put it off as long as long as my chief bridesmaid allowed me to ... so in mid May she dragged me dress shopping.

Fortunately it wasn't the nightmare I imagined. I actually did have ideas about what I liked, big and poufy was out, sparkly was out, simple and sophisticated and lace was in. The second dress I tried on, a Charlotte Balbier number called Zara, made me look tiny, it had all the pre-requisites and I looked like me in it. I even contemplated buying it, but changed my mind when the shop owner told me the price. My BM found it highly amusing that I was gutted because the dress that made me feel like a million dollars didn't cost that. In my head I was going to spend 1k plus, after all we'd saved really hard for this wedding and I wanted my dress to be the most expensive item of clothing I had ever owned, but even the promise of a weekend in London and Jimmy Choo shoes from my BM didn't change things ... I had gone off the dress. In spite of this every dress I tried on didn't come close the Charlotte Balbier dress. I walked away empty handed.

A month later (June 2009) my Mum started to drop hints about dresses so I had another look on line and strategically planned where we would go and try dresses in the designs I liked. We managed four shops in one day, and nothing compared to Zara. We had almost run out of shops in the area until a Google search threw up a wild card, The Lancashire Bridal Gallery, so we booked an appointment and turned up not expecting to find anything. I went through the huge collection of Provonias and Amanda Wyatt dresses and pulled out the ones I liked, along with some Catherine Davighi dresses and Charlotte Balbier's Zara which was hidden away at the back of the rack. My heart skipped when I saw her sat there. I still thought that Zara was the one and couldn't wait to try it on again, even though I had been disappointed with the price. So I eagerly worked my way through the dresses … not liking certain aspects of each … so that I could get to Zara and show Mum the dress I thought I wanted.

Then ... I stopped in my tracks. I was helped into a dress that was similar to Zara, except it had straps and no lace. As the assistant tightened the corset I touched the silk and fell in love all over again. The quality of the fabric blew me away, and the steel corset added to the romance. When I stepped out of the fitting room my Mum started to cry and a lady who had popped in whilst passing stood and stared. I kind of guessed this would be a very special dress and when I looked in the mirror and when the tiara and veil were added I felt like a bride for the very first time. The dress I now loved ... Catherine Davighi's Marrinna.

I gave it another month before ordering the dress, foolishly thinking that I could loose some more weight. Suffice to say that I didn't!

The next thing on my list - bridesmaid dresses. In general my bridesmaids were pretty easy going with regard to what they would wear, my maid of honour less so! She had definite ideas about wanting to be able to wear the dress again and had held onto the idea of a Mocha dress, even though my chosen colour was now mint green. For a quiet life I gave in and allowed her a different dress but did say it had to be by the same designer and had to match in some way. My BMs wore Watters and Watters dresses in lime and my flower girl wore a Venus Little Maiden dress. It just so happened that the Mocha of my MOH’s dress matched perfectly with the lime and it produced a bargain buy for the BM’s shoes which were Mocha too and came in at just £10 each! Here are my lovely maids on the big day in all their fabulousness:

When the bridesmaids were sorted we moved on to the stationery. We had been to a bridal fayre when we got engaged and saw the work of a local company, Linda Abrahams and Co. of Leeds, and liked it immediately. Bearing the quality of her work in mind we thought it would be too expensive and started looking elsewhere but all the companies we liked who made handmade invites were either too far away or far too expensive. I have always had a thing for good stationery, I have lots and lots of stuff. In fact if you ask B he’ll tell you I’m a stationery addict!

We both wanted to be involved in the design process from the start and felt it important to be in face to face contact with the person making them. There was only one thing for it, we'd just have to go and see Linda Abraham's and Co. in person. In our first meeting I told them about my cherry blossom idea and how I wanted pink flowers and this is what they came up with

We were so impressed with the finish, which was elegant, stylish and exactly how we wanted. What’s more they were very reasonably priced. We left the shop in shock at how little she wanted to charge in comparison to some of the London companies who were going to provide us with a lot less for the same price. Our invites looked amazing and we had so many fantastic comments about them from our guests. We hoped they’d set the tone for our elegant Easter Soirée.

I'mAJones, Jun 1, 2010
  5. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

Time went very quickly after the invites were sent. This was helped by the favour box making which took up a lot of our spare time at weekends. I had seen these fabulous little Easter egg boxes in one of my Mum’s craft magazines and wanted them as our favour boxes, we could put a little chocolate egg inside each box and tie them with lovely ribbon. The template for the box was only available to owners of a certain machine and my Mum didn’t have one so I had to make up a serial number on the website to get it, fortunately the site accepted it and I managed to print it off … but it was so small. I had lots of fun with the photocopier at work trying to make it bigger. My mum spent hours cutting out and scoring the card and B and I put them together. This is the end product:

Favour boxes sorted we needed to think about flowers. Now, neither myself nor B know anything about flowers. If truth be told we really aren’t green fingered. So when we met with the florist we had no idea what we wanted. I’m sure she got exasperated by our completely blank faces when she mentioned flowers that were in season and she even resorted to showing us pictures of everything, including tulips! I left the florist not really having a clue about what the flowers would look like, only that they would be pink and green! I’ll show you some flower pics later.

After all the major boxes were ticked I started to think about other things, like my shoes and what I was going to buy B as a wedding present. My shoe dilemma was solved when I went to choose my veil and tiara. I have a bit of a shoe habit so can spot shoes that are for sale from great distances. I spotted my shoes whilst in the bridal shop from the other side of the room (it’s a huge shop) and wanted them immediately. They are Violette by Diane Hassall and I literally drooled all over them. Never mind that I had already bought a pair from Dune months ago, I had to have these shoes … particularly as they stamp the date of your wedding on the bottom.

In order to get away with having two pairs I told B that my dress cost a little more than expected, and I needed extra length. He didn’t find out about my extra pair till he started bragging that his wedding shoes cost more than mine did. Oooops!

I’d seen lots of brides talking about Boudoir shoots on line and decided, with 3 months to go that I would do one. I have no idea how I managed to pluck up the courage but I did and actually really enjoyed the day. I enjoyed it so much that I think the album that B got as his wedding present was actually more for me than for him. It did wonders for my self esteem and for days I walked around with my head in the clouds! Here are some pictures from my shoot:

I’ll pop back tomorrow and add some more … promise!

I'mAJones, Jun 1, 2010
  6. I'mAJones

Becky

Wow I love your pics, it sounds fantastic! You look incredible in the boudoir shots - I bet you're glad you went for it! [​IMG]

Becky, Jun 2, 2010
  7. I'mAJones

Mrsg2b2011

Wow your boudoir shoots are amazing!!!! LOVE your dress aswell it is gorgeous!
    Can't wait for the next instalement!!!

P.s hope you don't mind me asking how much were your shots? & do they do your hair & make up for you? x

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 2, 2010
  8. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

I don't mind at all hun, I did my shoot with Nicola Grimshaw Mitchell and had Deluxe session 1, which cost £470 and included hair and make up and an album with 25 shots in it. She has some cheaper and more expensive packages too and I'd highly recommend her, she was great!

I'mAJones, Jun 6, 2010
  9. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

Continued ...

After the boudoir shoot time flew, my hen do came and went in a drunken haze. Suffice to say that I had a great time in Manchester with some fabulous friends, and particularly enjoyed the nude bloke we drew in the life drawing class and the burlesque lesson!
    I would add pictures but I don't have any on the PC.

The weeks that followed were taken up with the last minute details such as dress fittings and the table plan. The weather the week of the wedding was truly awful, it rained buckets every day and we worried that our day would be a washout. The forecasts were for snow, strong winds and freezing temperatures at the beginning of the week and by the Friday we were expecting heavy rain. I had invested in some bright flowery wellingtons to wear just in case the weather was bad, after all I didn't want to ruin my lovely shoes. Friday the 2nd April went in a bit of a blur. B and I had stayed at my parents for a few nights and had sorted last minute drop outs and other such crises and all that remained left to do was transport all the wedding things over to our hotel. The car was completely filled with stuff and we had to make several journeys to and from the car once we got to the hotel. Once we were unpacked it was off to church for the rehearsal. I still didn't believe at this point that the wedding was real, and even though I'd had 2 dress fittings in the last week I still didn't feel like a bride, not even when our vicar was telling us what would happen just 21 hours later. The rehearsal went really well, our best man was on top form pretending to drop the pretend rings and B made a gaffe with his vows which had everyone in hysterics.

We had decided that we would go our separate ways after the rehearsal. The plan was then for the boys and girls to eat separately to avoid the whole bad luck thing, which meant that B would get to open his wedding present whilst I wasn't there. Now, practically everyone I knew had seen my boudoir pics because I was so proud of them and one of my friends had questioned whether it would be a good idea to have B look at the album just before the wedding
    . The closer the wedding got the more I tended to agree with her so after the rehearsal me and my BM went back to my parents house to pick up my veil which I'd accidentally left behind and on the way back to our hotel I stopped in to see B. At this point he had just got out of the shower and was really surprised to see me, after all I had insisted on the no contact rule! I suggested to him that he might want to open one of his presents and hinted at which neatly wrapped parcel he ought to open first. Intrigued he unwrapped the box the album came in and once it was apparent what he'd got his eyes lit up and he spent a good minute or so on each page, his face was a picture and I wish I had a camera with me. Satisfied that I'd done good I left quickly, only to be told later that B had been late meeting the boys that night having spent a good 20 minutes or so admiring his future wife!

I met up with my girls and enjoyed a lovely meal, the wine was flowing and everyone was in good spirits. Before I knew it it was ten to midnight and I was feeling a little drunk ... that really wasn't my intention and I still hadn't washed my hair as the hairdresser had asked so I said my goodbyes and made my way to bed, for the last time as a single woman.

I'mAJones, Jun 6, 2010
  10. I'mAJones

ilovepink1984

Ooh, yay! I'm soooo glad I've come back after a week away and discovered more of your report! Love your dress and those Boudoir pics are STUNNING! I'm quite tempted myself but not sure we can really afford it. Keep it coming. Loving this report xxx

ilovepink1984, Jun 7, 2010
  11. I'mAJones

Becky

Love the latest instalment - especially about H2B's face seeing the boudoir shots! Looking forward to hearing about the big day itself :D

Becky, Jun 7, 2010
  12. I'mAJones

Helen

Loving this :D

Your pics are amazing!

Helen, Jun 7, 2010
  13. I'mAJones

Mrsg2b2011

Thanks for price hun. Hearing about your h2b's reaction makes me dedo want to do it for mine!!!

I am loving the way you are telling your story I can not wait for the next instalment & hear about the amazing day itself!! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 7, 2010
  14. I'mAJones

MrsApplen2be

Wow your pics are amazing. No wonder your h2b was 20 mins late. I wish I had known about Boudoir shoots earlier they would have been something I would have saved hard for but I have no pennies now. BOO HOO x

MrsApplen2be, Jun 8, 2010
  15. I'mAJones

poppleminster

Loving your report - I want shoes with the date stamped on! Neeeeeeeeed. LOL

poppleminster, Jun 8, 2010
  16. I'mAJones

Pumpkin

Can't wait for the next installment! Your boudoir pics are amazing!

Pumpkin, Jun 8, 2010
  17. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

Our big day (Part One)

I don't know about anyone else but I find I do things very slowly when drunk! It took me almost 2 hours to shower, do a face mask and dry my hair before I actually got into bed. I sensed the beginnings of a hangover and was quite annoyed with myself that I was going to have bags under my eyes on our wedding day instead of looking rested and radiant. So at 1.40am I tried to go to sleep. I tossed and turned for a while but the wine eventually did it's magic and I fell asleep, only for me to wake at 04.45 with a stinking headache! After popping some paracetamol I again tried to sleep, but it wouldn't come. I put the TV on in the hope that BBC News 24 would bore me to sleep ... but no, I was wide awake! I found myself constantly looking at my dress as it hung on the wardrobe and felt the excitement rising the longer I looked at it. As I lay there I looked through the pictures on my phone, one was of B having his final suit fitting, and decided that I'd text him just to say that I was excited about marrying him later in the day and was looking forward to spending the rest of my life with him. So, I did. I broke my own "no contact" rule again! To my surprise (as it was now 5.30am) B texted straight back saying that he was too excited to sleep and had been awake since around 04.45! Spooky!!

I told myself that I could get up at 6am and jumped out of bed when my phone alarm went off. I popped some more paracetamol and ran myself a bath with the bath soak I got with my gorgeous wedding perfume. I spent some time looking in the mirror for spots and eye bags and luckily didn't find any! I had a long soak in the bath before putting on my posh body lotion and adding some more top coat to my French manicured nails. After getting dressed I got out all my underwear and jewellery ready for later, making sure that I tidied up after myself, I didn't want the photographer to be taking pictures of my untidy room after all! Breakfast at the hotel is served from 7am so after an hour of pampering and tidying I went down stairs hoping to see someone from our wedding party so that I could share my excitement, and do some excited bouncing. However, there was no-one around! I sat alone in the dining room for a while before my uncle arrived, he's not the excitable type so no bouncing to be done here. My parents were staying at the hotel too and said they would be at breakfast for 7am but they were no where to be seen so I went to get them only to find that they were still fast asleep, having had a poor nights sleep because my Dad was really nervous! I woke them and went back to the dining room. When I got back B's parents and grandma joined us and I ordered myself some porridge, even though I really wasn't hungry at all. Whilst eating my breakfast I saw the chair cover people arriving and then the candelabra lady. I so wanted to go and have a look at what they were doing but knew I had to wait in order to get the full effect. Just as I'd finished my porridge and cup of tea the hair dresser and make up ladies arrived. I went outside to meet them and showed them to my parents room, hereafter known as the "hub", which was the biggest guest room in the hotel. Sarah made a start on my make up pretty much straight away and we chatted excitedly about the things we'd added to our plans since my hair and make up trail. Before I knew it my make up was complete and I was free to gather the troops. My Mum had her hair and make up done next and then B's grandma popped along to get some eye-shadow put on. My chief bridesmaid arrived soon after and then my junior maids turned up too. It was almost a full house, particularly when the photographer arrived. He kept telling us to act naturally but it was so hard and resulted in fits of laughter at the wonderful poses people were making, particularly my flower girl who managed to look angelic in every single photo.

When the "hub" was too busy the urge to go and see what out suppliers had done in the reception room got the better of me. I went alone initially and I realised for the first time that I was actually getting married! The room looked absolutely stunning and it brought me to tears. All the months of planning had paid off and I was impressed that all our choices had come together so well. This was the sight that awaited me:

I was particularly blown away by the flowers, and really pleased that we'd used the florist we did. Even though B and I had no idea what she was talking about we were glad that she'd made the choices that she had. Here's a couple of flower shots:

My chief bridesmaid, Vanessa, came along to hurry me back to the make up hub as my bouquet had just been delivered. The last time I'd seen her she was getting her make up done and I almost cried when I saw her, I have never seen her looking so gorgeous. When I returned to my parents room I was met with my bouquet and I loved it, though as you'll see in some of the later photos I had no idea what to do with it. I think at some points I actually wanted to start singing into it as in most of the pictures I looked like I was holding a microphone. I think I did quite a good job in this picture however:

I'mAJones, Jun 19, 2010
  18. I'mAJones

Mrsg2b2011

WOW WOW WOW!!! Your venue looked stunning!! Your flowers were beautiful too! How sppoky that you both woke at the same time aswell!!

So can not wait till the next installment. You tell it so well :eek: xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 19, 2010
  19. I'mAJones

iPrincess26

Loving it. The place looked amazing as did the flowers. More please :eek:

iPrincess26, Jun 19, 2010
  20. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

The Big Day: Part Two

Having pranced around the room with my bouquet for a while I told everyone about the reception room and how stunning it looked, which then cued a line of people going to have a look. My Mum isn't a very emotional person and she never really got excited about the wedding in the run up to it, but upon looking at the reception room and the cake that my Gran had paid for before she died, she actually broke down and cried. My Dad said she'd said something like "My baby's getting married" before bursting into tears! Bless her. Here's some pictures of our stunning wedding cake ...

and my Mum in all her mother of the bride gorgeousness:

I spent some time in the "hub" watching everyone getting ready and was really proud of my junior bridesmaids who were so well behaved and did exactly what was asked of them. I couldn't quite get over how much older my niece, Louise, looked once her hair and make up was done. Here's a picture of her hair from the side, I just love her hair slide and should have got one for myself too:

Once the bridesmaids were done it was my turn with the hair dresser. Here I am getting my hair done:

It was lunch time by now and my younger BMs were getting hungry, as was my Mum, so she ordered some sandwiches via room service. They took quite a while to arrive and time was ticking on so my BMs got into their dresses whilst waiting. Just as Bobbie, our flower girl, put her dress on the sandwiches arrived. When she started to eat them I had my one and only bridezilla moment, she was sat in white dress eating turkey and cranberry sandwiches! Recipe for disaster as far as I was concerned so I got a bit stressed, and made one of the other BMs cover her with a bath towel whilst she ate.

Crisis averted I was calm again. Sarah then added my tiara:

After that my gorgeous girlies tried their best to keep me calm and happy, I was actually starting to get nervous. Here they are looking stunning

Once the tiara was in it was time to get my dress on. By this time the cars had already arrived and we were running late. Despite having started to get ready at 10 past 8 in the morning we had so little time left and it felt really odd that time had gone so quickly! So Vanessa and I ran upstairs to my room, followed by the photographer, so I could get into my dress. Now, Vanessa is amazing at tying corsets. When we went BM dress shopping she managed to tie her own on a dress she had tried on, so it was obvious that she would be the one to get me dressed. On arrival in my room we locked out the photographer whilst I got my knickers and stockings on, which were a complete nightmare as the suspender belt just wouldn't behave. At this point we were beyond caring and laughed a lot which I'm sure didn't help with the fastening! Underwear on, Vanessa helped me into my dress and then let the photographer in. Here's the tying up shots:

and because I love them so much one more shoe photo for good luck!

I'mAJones, Jun 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question