A Wedding Report: Its Odd What Fate Throws At You

Discussion in 'Just Married - Wedding Reports' started by I'mAJones, May 4, 2010.

1. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

Me and my hubby married on 03 April 2010 and we had the best day ever. Here's the wedding report from start to finish.

He's the male version of me!

My husband and I met via internet dating, which is the last place I expected to meet the love of my life. I’d not long been out of a long-term relationship and my close friend Jo had just split up with her fiancé when she encouraged me to join a dating website for a laugh. Feeling a little bruised and battered I wasn’t expecting much and joined thinking there was nothing to lose. I contacted a couple of guys but as ever they were the wrong type, totally up themselves and therefore totally wrong for me! Then out of the blue B contacted me and we chatted via e-mail for a number of weeks. His profile picture was poor so I had no idea what he looked like but I liked what I read. He was funny, liked the same music and loved the same films. In fact right from those early days I was convinced that he was the male version of me. As we chatted we learned that we had so much in common, for example both having lived in the same town as teenagers and drank in the same pub, but never having met; being born 2 days apart; having the same number of siblings and them being the same ages etc etc. Now, I have to admit that I joined the dating site with no intention of meeting up with anyone but B intrigued me. I was sold on him right from the very start. So, I plucked up the courage and agreed to meet him at the train station one Saturday night mid November 2006.

The first date

On the phone earlier that day we told each other what we’d be wearing so we could identify each other. His voice was kind and honest but in spite of that part of me really badly wanted to cancel! However, I pulled myself together, came up with a contingency plan with friends just in case he was a minger or an axe murderer and made my way to the train station. As ever B was late, so I waited anxiously looking for men wearing brown jackets, remember of course that I still had no idea what he looked like so hid every time odd looking men with brown coats walked past. I started a conversation with an older couple to take my mind off it and had just finished my second bottle of Corona when I heard him call my name.
    And there he was. No beer belly or facial hair. No odd ticks and he certainly wasn't carrying an axe behind his back! He was tall, with a lovely smile, great dress sense, fabulous shoes and short dark hair. My first thought on seeing the most handsome man I had seen for quite sometime was “OMG, there’s no way he’s going to want me”. Several hours later, when we’d talked non stop, laughed a lot and learned more about our spooky coincidences he asked to see me again the next day … and the rest they say is history. How wrong was I?

Me and my hubby!

The Proposal

We got engaged in May 2008, although I’d known about B’s plan to ask me to marry him for some months. He’s never been any good at keeping secrets and this was one he really struggled to keep and one that he’d told me about a year earlier when he was bursting with excitement one drunken evening! He did manage to keep the ring that he’d bought a secret and had it hidden for about 6 months before he proposed. His original plan was to propose on my birthday and he planned to take me for a romantic meal and get down on one knee. However, as ever he couldn’t keep it to himself so proposed very early in the morning.
    Once he’d woken me (maybe he wished he hadn’t because I was in a foul mood after a very heavy night out to celebrate my birthday) he kept bugging me to open my birthday cards and presents. I told him in no uncertain terms that I needed more sleep and seeing how it was only 7am in the morning my birthday was going to last a few hours more! He looked really hurt by this and sat squirming on the bed so I agreed that I would open his card to me and then open the others later. Inside my birthday card he had written that I needed to ask for my special present. Despite knowing about “the plan” I had no idea that he was about to propose and had convinced myself he’d bought earrings for me as he’d produced a small box with ribbon tied round it. He waited for me to open the box before getting down on one knee at the side of the bed, began to cry and then asked me to marry him. I said “yes” immediately without even looking at the ring, and had never felt so happy and excited in my whole life.

The ring, also known as "the rock"

To be continued ...

I'mAJones, May 4, 2010
    jesslovesed likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. I'mAJones

Becky

I love this! Congratulations! Looking forward to the next instalments! [​IMG]

P.S He's got great taste in 'rocks'!!

Becky, May 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. I'mAJones

WelshBride

Ohh I want more lol!
    I agree with Becky 'the rock' is lovely [​IMG]

WelshBride, May 5, 2010
  4. I'mAJones

May2010bride

Can't wait to here the rest!! xx

May2010bride, May 5, 2010
  5. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

I'll post the next installment after work tonight. Glad you're enjoying it so far! I love the rock still to this day and it looks fab with my wedding ring ... the boy did good! [​IMG]

I'mAJones, May 5, 2010
  6. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

Part 2

Planning the best day of our lives (so far)

If I am honest I was never one of those girls who dreamed about their wedding from an early age. I always worried that I’d be single forever and even if I did get married no one would want to come anyway. I never enjoyed being the centre of attention so dreaded the thought of being in a big white dress with everyone looking at me. So, in my head the perfect wedding was a small intimate affair with close family and friends and a meal or a small party afterwards. B, however, had other ideas!

Having spoken to a few other engaged friends when we were planning I discovered that it was the grooms who wanted big white weddings and B was no different, he wanted it big, traditional and stylish. It hadn’t helped that the year before he proposed we had been at his cousins very large and expensive wedding and he knew that he wanted something similar, including chair covers, a live band, and an impressive venue. After a few interesting discussions about how he had dreams about weddings since he was a boy I had to compromise, and my compromise was that if it was going to be “big” then it was going to be expensive, which meant that we needed quite some time to save.

We originally set a date for the 28[sup]th[/sup]August 2010 and planned on having 120 guests with us for the ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening reception. But, after months of saving we both got itchy feet, we wanted to be able to move house but couldn’t do this whilst saving so hard so we moved our date forward to 03 April 2010, only four months, but psychologically it felt like a life time! It meant that we had to reduce our guest list to 80, but it also meant that the room would be filled with people that we felt the closest to.

We both wanted our wedding to be accessible for our guests and B wanted our wedding to be on a bank holiday weekend to make it easier for guests to travel to and from the wedding. One side of our families would have to travel and we agreed that it would be his as, for a number of reasons, his family is far more mobile than mine. Easter weekend seemed perfect for our wedding, not least because B is the biggest chocoholic I’ve ever met, but also because it’s the beginning of spring and the weather is usually okay!

Given the need to find a venue close to my family there really was no argument about where we’d marry. Our family church was not only a stunning building but somewhere where my faith had developed and been encouraged throughout my teens.

There really was only one option for our reception too, and it was the only place we visited. It fitted with our desire to have a “big” stylish wedding, and besides B really loved the tub chairs in the bar as they were all different colours and super comfortable. It ticked every one of our boxes and the staff added to our love for the place, they were always helpful and friendly and we’d heard really good things about the venue from other couples ... and from my cousin who works in environmental health!!

The hotel

B's tub chairs!

To be continued ...

I'mAJones, May 5, 2010
  7. I'mAJones

ilovepink1984

Aw, this is so lovely. Can't wait for the rest! xxx

ilovepink1984, May 5, 2010
    vhc likes this.
  8. I'mAJones

MrsApplen2be

Loving it....now my wedding is getting closer I love reading wedding reports. a few times during yours I have thought you sounded like me, my h2b couldnt keep his plan to propose a secret although the actual proposal was the biggest shock of my life. And I also didnt want a big white wedding, that was h2b.

Cant wait to read more and see more pics.....the best reports have pics xx

MrsApplen2be, May 5, 2010
  9. I'mAJones

Miss Cheeky

yeay!! more - more!!!

Miss Cheeky, May 6, 2010
  10. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

It’s the little things that count (or is it?)

Maybe I ought to have said a little earlier but B proposed when I was in the throws of Phd thesis hell, also known as writing up! Wedding planning very quickly became welcome distraction and excellent procrastination fodder. In fact, I think I could only manage about an hour of work before I had to spend a couple of hours looking at all things wedding on the internet or reading the piles of wedding magazines that I avidly began to collect.

My hours of procrastination had lead to a massive wish list of all the things I thought I wanted at our wedding, like a caricaturist and table magician, baskets in the toilets with goodies for guests, a route master bus and confetti cones. All the things that the magazines and websites told me were “in” and would count for the personal touches that would set us apart from every other wedding that we’d ever been to.

Maybe it was the need to actually get my thesis finished and handed in that stopped me in my tracks, but the wedding planning came to a halt. Well, it kind of had to really! Having a bit of a break really allowed me to take a step back and remember the kind of wedding I’d originally wanted,something intimate which would be full of love and fun. Once I’d had this realisation my original list went in the bin (much to B’s amusement as he hadn’t liked any of my ideas) and so together we focused on the important aspects of our day, like the who would be in our bridal party and how we were going to get from church to the hotel! As we were to get married on August bank holiday weekend we thought everything would get booked pretty quickly so in September 2008 booked the majority of our suppliers, including the cars and photographer … just over 2 years before our big day!

I struggled to think of a theme for the wedding and even colours for bridesmaids. There were so many choices! We knew that B and his groomsmen would have chocolate brown suits given that B’s favourite colour is brown to match his liking for chocolate. It just to happens that he looks really good in brown too. In fact, here he is in all this choclatey groomliness

Once the suits were ordered I felt the pressure was on to make decisions about themes and colours. It didn't help that my 2 bridesmaids kept pestering me about what colour I was going to make them wear, and I really couldn’t decide between brown and mocha, much to their bemusement! But, I was really mindful of doing too much so we decided to stop the planning again and wait a till year or so before doing the other things, like finding my dress!

About 6 months later we were driving home from shopping when we saw a sign for a new housing development and couldn’t resist stopping by for a look round the show home. We both fell in love with it and after this I started to feel really resentful of the wedding,we were saving so hard and (at that point) had nothing to show for it. There were no gorgeous shoes and there was no stunning dress! All we had was a pile of money sat in the bank, and we weren’t even getting that much interest. It irritated me that we had a four figure sum in the bank at that point but couldn’t afford to move house! So, at the end of March 2009 I told B that I wanted to bring the wedding forward, and much to my surprise he agreed. Filled with renewed enthusiasm he began the contacting of all suppliers we had already booked to see if we could change the date. We were successful with everything … except, sadly, for our amazing photographer!So, our hunt began again.

I was full of excitement at having moved the date and I knew instantly what our colour scheme was going to be! I love cherry blossom trees so pink and green seemed the obvious choice though I wasn’t sure at this point what would be pink and what would be green.I had my major flash of inspiration one day when I was procrastinating at work and browsing the Coast website, and saw this dress:

Mint green bridesmaids and pink flowers! Perfect for a spring wedding, and what with the chocolate brown suits I had my own little blossom tree thing going on!

To be continued …

I'mAJones, May 6, 2010
    vhc likes this.
  11. I'mAJones

tinxfoowinkle

You're a tease MrsJones.............................. How could you just STOP [​IMG]

tinxfoowinkle, May 6, 2010
  12. I'mAJones

WelshBride

ohhh now you're just teasing us lol

WelshBride, May 6, 2010
  13. I'mAJones

I'mAJones

Awww sorry guys! Hubby interrupted me with dinner then we went to vote! Having real trouble with photobox so will add the rest when I've managed to upload the pictures. Sorry [​IMG]

I'mAJones, May 6, 2010
  14. I'mAJones

gozzle

Looking forward to the next part of this Mrs Jones! :D These reports are making me so excited.

gozzle, May 7, 2010
  15. I'mAJones

Helen

Can't wait for the next installment :D

Helen, May 7, 2010
  16. I'mAJones

Becky

Keep it coming, I'm loving your report so far! [​IMG]

Becky, May 7, 2010
  17. I'mAJones

MrsApplen2be

Ooh stopped again.....got to say you made me a bit weepy in the last section. I was (AGAIN) the same as you full of wedding magazines suddenly wanting the world. But sommewhere i've stopped and thought the only thing that matters is me, him and our love on that day and I cant wait to be his wife. Your statements just echoed how I feel. Shove the confetti cones and photo booths :D x MORE PLEASE x

MrsApplen2be, May 7, 2010
  18. I'mAJones

cherryberry

Ooh have been reading with interest!! More please!! x[​IMG]

cherryberry, May 7, 2010
  19. I'mAJones

Becky

Aagh the suspense is killing me!! [​IMG]

Becky, May 9, 2010
  20. I'mAJones

butterfly

more please its been day's, we need more lol x