A Review Of My Hen Night- Fantastic But There Is A But...

Discussion in 'Stag and Hen Parties' started by MrsGroves2B, Apr 29, 2013.

1. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

My Hen Night was fantastic! Really let my hair down!

We got there, got our wristbands for the Boogie Nights, and waited whilst the hotel staff cleaned and decorated my private room for me (they insisted, telling me I had enough stress to deal with!) We had a little mingle in the bar area before I showed people into my own room. People had another little mingle and had their gift bags, before going to get our hot buffet, made a little speech and off we went dancing on the dancefloor. Music was 70's/80's so we had songs by Abba, Grease, "Baby, I'm Your Man", Time Warp (I had another move for "put your hands on your hips!")

My friends did me proud, they really did. We made sure we let our hair down and had a laugh!

I'd do it again, on the same note I'm glad its over, I loved it, and yes, I probably didn't want it to end, but at the age of 26 (27 on Thursday, so celebrations are still continuing) I'm finding I can't cope with late nights like I used to! It took until yesterday to recover, and I don't drink! I enjoyed being decorated, enjoyed the dancing, the laughs and the connotations my friends had in store.

However, there were a couple of little things that affected the night, and its shameful to say the majority of it was my H2B's family. They were rude, loud (not a good loud either), and in some respects anti-social. When some of them arrived (future MIL, future sister-in-law and another family member (I hasten to add the other family member was not a problem)) my Mom met them at the main doors to the hotel, and came back round to fetch me, I walked to the main entrance and saw them walking to the queue to get your wristbands to get in. Future MIL shouts HELLO!!! I say hello back, future sister-in-law forces half a smile and says nothing. The other family member is quite quiet so wouldn't have expected her to say anything intitially but at first I thought she was a little ignorant compared to what she is usually like, but she got better as the night went on.

Got in the room. I didn't set the bags out, which had peoples' names on them, so I didn't know who was sitting where. I did say this as they walked in and said feel free to move them around. They did, walked out to get some of the others in the room, came back in, they were looking in the gift bags, got comments (joke comments, not offensive) but looked at future sister-in-law (who is currently pregnant with baby number 2) who was looking at the sticky name tags I had put in. I made a little more of an effort with her, and my Bridesmaid who is also pregnant and put in an extra name tag to stick on their belly, future sister-in-law's saying Baby Bopper Groves, Bridesmaids saying Baby Bopper Hughes. Nothing major but to add a little more of a touch to them. I saw future sister-in-law look at them, half smile again, put them back in the bag. Maybe I'm being too picky but I started to get a little annoyed that she was taking this kind of attitude to begin with, but put it back out my mind and carried on. H2B's Auntie was very loud, but in most respects not funny loud. Ok, she was making her own entertainment up, she is on crutches with a degenerative spinal condition so can't dance, and I appreciate that, but she was too loud if that makes sense. I have no objection to loud but there's loud and there's loud! Her daughter (our Bridesmaid) was getting that way too, but not as bad, however she was very rude at times, and I even had people tell me this afterwards.

I made a little speech, a couple of minutes just to say thank you for coming, etc. Majority of that they carried on being loud, having a joke between themselves. The daughter just mentioned (our Bridesmaid) did nothing but laugh as loud as possible (telling me afterwards that it was because her Nan was licking her arm, and did apologise, not extremely sincere though) throughout, and one thing I mentioned in my speech was that she had taken her theory test a few hours before and passed so congratulations to her, still laughing as loud as possible. I even mentioned it was a double celebration for me as it was the weekend before my Birthday, but one of my guests is 18 just after my Birthday so I mentioned her as well. H2B's family didn't seem to care and couldn't give just 5 minutes of the time to be quiet (would have been 2 or 3 if I didn't have to keep stopping!) I waited for the noise to drop and just after food to speak but even so they went louder.

On the dancefloor, they came out with me for about 20 minutes. H2B's Nan and Auntie didn't dance but I didn't expect them to with their conditions and respected that. However, they did come in and sit on one of the tables on the dance floor. They went back in our room after that. Everyone else followed. They made their own entertainment of musical chairs whilst listening to Britney Spears. There was a professional photographer there taking photos- £6 each or £5 if more than 3 people purchased. I don't normally do this but I thought its my Hen Night, it would be nice to get a group photo done. One of my friends got everyone out for a photo. Future MIL pulled me over for a quiet chat saying they were not being ignorant but were in the room as her sister and Mom couldn't dance and didn't wan't them to feel left out. I said I wasn't bothered, taking this as a splitting time equally between dancing and being with her sister and Mom. However they never came back on the dancefloor and barely spoke to me again for the rest of the night (she pulled me aside at around 9.30pm, they all left about 11.30pm).

Most conversation they had with my family (with the exception of a wedding related conversation between my Mom and future MIL) was around future sister-in-law's son, Elliott, who is two, her and future MIL passing phones around showing photos of Elliott, and the new baby. She has had tough pregnancies, and they do need to keep an eye on her. I respect that, and we all hope she is ok, she's carrying my unborn future Nephew, and I love him and my future Nephew, Elliott to bits) but I had no attention whatsoever, other than the odd photograph, which took about 5 minutes of the whole night. I'm not attention seeking, I'm not jealous, I really hope all goes well with this pregnancy, but it was one night, my night, and surely I deserved some attention off them. They are like this at home, they get the attention, I get the criticisms. It seemed that my Hen Night was no exception.

Two things topped it off with them though. Future MIL. When we went for the group photo the photographer said to us all "are you having a good night ladies", or words to that effect. Future MIL's response "I've got to haven't I?!" I was annoyed but thought no, I'll say a jokey sarcastic remark and said something like "cheers, Mother-in-law, I love you too!" and she said "no, I mean I've got to, you're marrying my son". Not making it any better for herself. Just sealed the deal that she didn't really want to be there and only went because I'm her son's fiance. The other thing was H2B's Auntie. Before she left she said anyone without a chocolate in their bag I've taken them for the little un (her Granddaughter, Mia-Alexia who is 2 in July). I thought nothing of it, thinking her family. After they'd all gone and on the dancefloor my Mom said her friends went back in the room and someone had taken the chocolate bars out of their bags. One of the bags was even on the floor and not on the table. I immediately said who had told me they'd had chocolate bars for their Granddaughter. So she'd had them out of those on her table and didn't even ask! They are the kind of people that if she'd have asked them they'd gladly have said have them, but she technically stole them. If she was that desperate for them I'd have brought her a whole packet myself! They're only chocolate bars, but that's not the point. My Mom's response is if they can go through those bags they can go through handbags.

Told H2B about the whole night and what they were like. He is ashamed of his family and can't stop apologising for them. Its not his fault, bless him. He has even offered to pay for me to have another night out for another Hen Night without his family. He told his Mom about the chocolate bars and she said she (H2B's Auntie) never did, its my family trying to stir things! Me and my friends heard this for ourselves, she (H2B's Auntie) told us!

In terms of the venue the only two things I'd say was that the food wasn't brilliant. I've had better, but it did the job. Wasn't overly bothered by that. The other thing was that even though our private room was next to the disco room it was very quiet in our room, so maybe some kind of speaker system or the side door to the disco that was next to our room to be opened may have helped. This wasn't a major problem at all, more of a suggestion really.

However, I made sure I had a really good night, my friends, my Mom and her friends really had a good time and really made sure I had a good night too. I love them to bits. Just a shame about the in-laws!

MrsGroves2B, Apr 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsGroves2B

Helen

Gosh what a busy night! I'm pleased you managed to enjoy it even though it was eventful. Some people just are louder than others, I don't know whether they meant to be rude or just weren't thinking during your little speech. It is one of those things, you just have to put up with family to keep the peace. I get on quite well with my family and my husbands family, but I didn't invite either side to my hen do and had friends only. It was just easier that way. Well done you for having everyone catered for. :)

Helen, Apr 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsGroves2B

nikster1987

Sounds like a great night, other than the few little mishaps you've mentioned. Its your hen party and wedding, don't let anybody else get you down over it. You did well under the pressure. Thumbs up!

nikster1987, Apr 29, 2013
  4. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

To be honest during the speech I don't think they were intentionally rude but still rude.

I'm now planning a Hen Night without the in-laws. Nothing big but a little get-together, maybe a meal or invite all to my house (or one of the hens if they can and are willing to) for a chill, maybe some games, get some party games or singsong on the Wii, Xbox, etc, maybe some childhood board games like Twister, etc.

MrsGroves2B, Apr 29, 2013
  5. MrsGroves2B

Helen

Sounds like a good plan, I did something similar, it was good fun and a nice simple night in :)

Helen, Apr 30, 2013
  6. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Yes, thinking of that, something simple x

MrsGroves2B, Apr 30, 2013
  7. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I'm still in two minds about the mini hen night- we have loads on in the run-up. I might allow people to come round one night in the week before the wedding for a couple of hours, not for food particularly but for a bit of a chill out, with added board games and TV! (I may put some nibbles out) so its more of a girlie night in than a hen night. H2B is staying over his parents' house the Wednesday night before the wedding as he's getting up early to go with his Dad and collect his Auntie and cousin from the airport (somewhere like Gatwick I think so not the local ones), so if I did anything I'd do this night. Everyone is at work the next day though (one is at college) so it wouldn't be a late one.

I forgot to add some photographs from my hen night so will add a couple now:

Me
    Charlie's phone me.png

Me and two of my closest friends, Gemma (left) and Rachael
    Charlie's phone me, Gemma and Rachael.png

Me and my best friend, Toni (and baby bump, Jessica!)
    Charlie's phone me, Toni and Jessica bump.png

Group professional photo
    group professional photo.JPG

Me and three of my girlie- all friends from when we were at secondary school (most of us went to the same primary school too! Left to right: Rachael, Gemma, Toni and me).
    friends professional photo.JPG

Me and my bridesmaid, Abi
    Me and Abi taken on Abi's phone.jpg

Me and my church friend, Charlie
    Me and Charlie.jpg

Me and my Mom
    Me and Mom taken by Toni again.jpg

MrsGroves2B, Jun 4, 2013
  8. MrsGroves2B

Becky

Looks like you had a great time! :D I am so envious of your hair - it's gorgeous! Couldn't help noticing that your shoes are off in the last photo, a good sign of having fun dancing all night!

Becky, Jun 4, 2013
  9. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

So many people love my hair, thank you! Its annoying me!

My shoes were off within the first hour! They were killing me!

xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 4, 2013
  10. MrsGroves2B

Becky

That is very well put Mrs! ;)

Becky, Jun 5, 2013
  11. MrsGroves2B

HEPPY1990

looks like you had a great time!

HEPPY1990, Jun 23, 2013
  12. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I did thank you, made sure I let my hair down! Got two of my friends coming over Wednesday night for a mini girls night in whilst Chris is staying over his parents' house for the evening. It wont be a big night, just ordering a pizza, bit of TV, one friend is painting my nails for me, bit of TV, girls will leave around 10-10.30pm as they're teachers and are at work the next day.

MrsGroves2B, Jun 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question