A Long And Happy Marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MrsGroves2B, Sep 7, 2012.

1. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I've mentioned on another thread that my Grandad passed away Sunday evening. I just thought I'd share this photo with you all.

My Nan and Grandad got married on 1st April 1950. This photo was taken by a reporter from our local newspaper who printed it along with a very short article to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary in 2010. My Dad arranged for them to receive a telegram from the Queen, which arrived on the day of their 60th wedding anniversary. (The article was in the newspaper the day before their anniversary).

Unfortunately this was to be the last wedding anniversary they would spend together, as my Nan passed away just under a year later on 9th March 2011.

They loved the bones of each other and it was always a great pleasure to be around them as you could sense the strong bond between them.

They'd bicker like there was no tomorrow! It was so funny to witness those!

They brought up two children- twins! My Dad and my Auntie. They are lovely people and a credit to them (I know I'm biased as they're my Dad and my Auntie but its true).

They had four Grandchildren- all girls! My Auntie's three daughters first then me as the youngest, and had seven Great Grandchildren- all my cousins' children (I'm the only grandchild without children!)- four are boys, three are girls. Unfortunately the youngest great grandchild, Autumn was born in November, eight months after my Nan died so she never got to meet her.

They loved each and every one of us, real family-orientated people. We were always welcomed at any time and loved to be around them.

Grandad was taken ill just before Nan died, literally. Nan had been in hospital since November 2010 until she died there the following March. (Except one night in December, and she was back in the next day). The February we were told it was open visiting and she was very ill on a Friday night. My Dad and Auntie went to their house to tell Grandad together and break the news to him the next day (Saturday morning) and they went in and found him collapsed on the kitchen floor in a confused state- the start of his ill health. Something tells me that he knew. He was in hospital- the same one as Nan was in- the floor above Nan's floor. He was allowed to sit with her the day she died, but due to him needing to be on a drip or needed some other medical treatment with his meal they had to take him back to his ward for his evening meal (they were prepared to let him have his meal with her, but he couldn't with his treatment). She passed away when we'd all left for tea. (I was at church when she died, my parents were pulling up onto the hospital car park when they answered the phone call to say she died, Grandad was still on his ward). He never got to go back home again.

In the early stages of his health after Nan's death he understood what had happened but flitted every now and then and thought she was still alive. Over a short time he didn't really know she'd died. He suffered from Dementia and was diagnosed with it when he went into hospital. Nan suffered the same illness, along with other health issues, and occasionally didn't know who Grandad was, thinking he was a strange man in the house on the run up to being sent into hospital. This was obviously hard on Grandad but he looked after her at home until she got sent into hospital.

Grandad died almost 18 months after Nan died (a week before the 18 month anniversary of Nan's death). Now they are reunited and back together to spend all eternity together. Its upsetting that they are no longer with us, but its a blessing to know that they are both no longer suffering and are both reunited with each other.

They must be one of the most in love couple I have ever had the pleasure to know, and its a greater pleasure to be able to call them my Grandparents. I hope mine and Chris' marriage is as long and happy as theirs was. We bicker something terrible at times, and made people laugh with it, so that's one thing like them that we have in common!

Sorry, this ended up as a bit of an obituary to them, but I wanted to share it as this is a wedding forum, and is about love between two people, and talking of love between two people who had a long and happy marriage, and were fortunate to be able to reach their Diamond Anniversary seemed perfect for here.

R.I.P. Nan. 5th November 1921 - 9th March 2011
    and
    R.I.P. Grandad. 13th November 1922 - 2nd September 2012.

xxxx

Attached Files:

MrsGroves2B, Sep 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsGroves2B

MrsBrown

Awww what lovely memories of their life's. 60 years is a long time, I know they were very Ill in the end but think about the happy times and memories you have. You will be getting married soon and will be starting your life with your oh, they will be very proud.

my grandparents didn't quite make it to their 60th (59years).My gran met my grandad at 14 and married him when she was 19 (she never ever spent a night on her own in a house in all her time alive ( when grandad died we had to stay with her) my grandparents argued like cat and dog, but she was heart broken when he died. She just to say to my mum in her 70's, I'm going to divorce your father!!! However whatever they stuck at it and had 59 years, 3 children and 4 grandchildren together.

My other grandparents were married for 50 years, they have both gone now too but I still have fond memories of them. I didn't have them at my wedding but they were remembered, and I only wish they could have met my baby and the next generation. If we were having a girl we were going to go for my grandmas names but having my dads name as baby middle name instead.

Oh and I will be 93 and 97 by the time we celebrate our 60th wedding anniversary!!!!!

MrsBrown, Sep 8, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsGroves2B

Becky Administrator

Thank you so much for sharing that, what with all the statistics we hear about divorce etc it's nice to hear about the other side - those who stick by each other through thick and thin.

There is often a lot of focus on the wedding day, but stories like this make you all the more aware that it is just the first day in a long adventure together :) This is why we picked this particular reading for our wedding:

:wub:
    My grandparents will be celebrating their 62nd wedding anniversary this month, and hopefully a few more to go.

Becky, Sep 8, 2012
  4. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Beautiful poem, Becky.

We do hear of high divorce rates, so to hear and witness long and happy marriages are so lovely!

What I want to do on the wedding day is have a memory tree photo frame up in the reception venue with photos of family members that have passed away. We can only put about 6 photos in so will put the closest ones in there. I will have my three Grandparents, H2B's Grandad and Great Nan, a close family friend of H2B's and his close work colleague as main photos, otherwise if we can only get 5 in (need to check) it will be the family ones, all depends on the number that will fit in. I have also written a little bit in the back of the Order of Services saying we remember those close to us who are celebrating in Heaven with their names underneath and the words Eternally loved, eternally missed, eternally in our hearts. May God protect you and keep you safe in his eternal kingdom. R.I.P.

I am also planning on detaching four flowers from my bouquet (one each for my two Grandad's and one for my Nan, and the fourth for H2B's Grandad) and plan on the day after the wedding to take them to where they are buried/scattered and place one for each of them. My Nan and Grandad are scattered in a crematorium on the same garden, my other Grandad's ashes are buried in a cemetery about half an hour/40 minute drive away, and Chris' Grandad is buried in a local cemetery. I didn't know Chris' Grandad when we were together, think I probably saw him at Chris' Birthday parties when we were about 5 but can't remember him, but it wouldn't feel right to not put a flower on his grave from my bouquet if my Grandparents have had one.

xx

MrsGroves2B, Apr 22, 2013
  5. MrsGroves2B

HEPPY1990

We can only hope to be married and happy with each other for that long!

HEPPY1990, Jun 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question