A Day To Never Forget

Discussion in 'Just Married - Wedding Reports' started by flo2310, Nov 10, 2010.

1. flo2310

flo2310

Hi all,

Here is my wedding report, I hope you all enjoy reading it or just looking at the photos. Andrew and I had the most amazing day!

The week before...

The lead up to the wedding was a bit mental. I only took Wednesday – Friday off and kinda wish now I’d taken a bit more off to release some of the stress. We were supposed to pick up our rings on the Wednesday, but Andrew got an email from the jeweller saying that he’d FORGOTTEN to set the diamonds in mine... Was NOT amused, especially when his reply was “No dramas, I can have them ready by next week!!!” Hmm... slightly problematic seeing as the wedding was on Saturday! So he hurried through them and brought them over to us at 9.30 on Thursday night! Needless to say, we were slightly concerned that they wouldn’t be ready/wouldn’t be to a great standard, but they were fine (thank GOD!!)

Thursday saw me making the table plan, printing out labels for the sweetie jars, making menus, finishing off the place cards, wrapping presents and writing cards and generally running around like a blue assed fly! But by some miracle it got all got finished!!

Got to bed around 1 am (!) and as my head hit the pillow I suddenly thought EARRINGS!! I had everything apart from earrings... So a final last minute purchase was needed on Friday morning!

Friday was “me day” in the morning I went to get eyelash extensions put on and have my nails done. The eyelashes looked fantastic! So worth it, although took an hour and half, but def made all the difference and I didn’t need so much mascara on the day so saved any black smudges! If you are looking for good nail tips then Jessica Geleration it’s the new take on biosculpture, and they paint on gel (just like nail varnish) but set it under a UV light and it creates a flawless French manicure without having acrylics or fake gel tips and doesn’t ruin your nails one little bit. Lasts around 3 – 4 weeks and you can paint over it and when you remove the colour the French is still underneath. Def worth looking into, going to get mine done again for the honeymoon.

Friday also saw me running around looking for earrings, went into a little village shop and within 10 minutes had found the perfect pair of pearl earrings, so I think it was fate that I hadn’t found any before that!

That afternoon my sister and I packed up my car with all the table favours, place names, menus, sweets and jars, scoops and sweetie bags for Hampton Court and took them over. It was really starting to sink in that I was going to get married!! The room already looked great and the staff were putting in so much effort. Simon, our main contact, was so helpful and said he would design a good sweetie table for us and we left everything in their hands.

Then I went to pick up my dress, sash and shoes – that was the scariest bit!! I was sooo nervous about having it in the car, but luckily it was fine and was hanging in my parents’ room in no time.

Room set up.jpg
    bags of things.jpg
    dress in car.jpg

We had the ceremony rehearsal that evening at 6 pm. My grandmother’s cousin was doing part of the service and he was fantastic at the rehearsal as he kept spirits up but kept things moving! My niece (one of my flower girls) who is only 2 and is known to be a bit mental, was well behaved until half way down the aisle, and she started screaming the place down, my bridesmaid who was walking with her tried to bribe her with chocolate but she kept saying “no no no no!!” So I was dreading what she was going to be like during the real thing!
    Emily walking down aisle.jpg

Andrew and I then said our goodbyes... couldn’t believe that the next time I would see him would be when I was walking down the aisle!!
    My grandparents and aunts/uncles all arrived that afternoon and I went down with my sisters, bridesmaids and my parents to the hotel to catch up with the family and try to relax before the Big Day. I could hardly eat anything and left around 10 pm to have a shower and get myself ready for the following morning. I also sat quietly writing cards from my bridesmaids and MOH, I was shaking while writing them, so they couldn’t really read my writing the next day but they got the gist of what I was trying to say!

flo2310, Nov 10, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. flo2310

Helen

Ohhh looking forward to the next part! :) How can the jeweller forget to set the diamonds?!? Good thing they managed it in time in the end.

Helen, Nov 10, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. flo2310

flo2310

Saturday 23[sup]rd[/sup] October, 2010; Our Wedding Day

Getting ready

I probably had a grand total of about 4 hours sleep, partly because of my cats coming into the room I was sharing with my mum (we had all my sisters staying over, along with two Swedish students who are with us for a year and so had to share rooms!), our cats seem to think it’s socially acceptable to come in at 3 am and sit on your pillow! But also because my dad (who was staying at a neighbour’s as he couldn’t cope with the house full of women!) couldn’t sleep and so decided to come home at 6.45 and ring the doorbell as he’d forgotten his keys! But the main thing that kept me awake was the weather... it rained solidly from about 11 pm to 7 am, really heavy rain and even some thunder and lightning! Was NOT impressed and was convinced it would rain aaaaall day... But as the morning went on, the sun started to come out and dried up some of the puddles! Couldn’t believe our luck!

The morning rushed past, hairdressers arrived at 8 and makeup lady at half past. After I had my hair done I spent the morning making sure everyone had tea, water, biscuits etc... Everyone was telling me how calm I was, but in reality I was feeling like I was going to burst!! Flowers arrived, and looked amazing... you put your faith in the florist, photographer, cake maker, venue and even car company and it’s completely out of your hands and we were SO lucky with the people we had chosen.

BM hair.jpg

Hair.jpg

me makeup.jpg

my flowers.jpg

shoes etc.jpg

shoes etc2.jpg

Our photographer arrived earlier than organised, which was lucky because (as expected with a house full of girls) we were running late. She was great, kept us all really calm and got most of the shots we had discussed before the day.

It then came to get me in my dress... Which was a bit of a nightmare!! I knew it fit, but the buttons refused to do up! My mum and eldest sister were in charge of helping me – everyone else was banished downstairs... in the end it took them, my photographer and make up lady to do them up – so another tip.. Please please PLEASE make sure you have someone who can keep calm in these situations!

dress on.jpg

I had managed to keep from crying all morning, but the strangest thing that set me off was my photographer showing me a photo she took of me which I said “It doesn’t look like me” and burst into tears! Not sure why...! But clearly I was more emotional than I thought!

one that made me cry.jpg

Finally all ready, we all went down stairs for the last few photos and then my bridesmaids, sisters and mum left and it was just me and my dad in the house... This was a really strange feeling and if you are in the same position, make sure you enjoy it and take a moment to let everything sink in. My dad is not emotional AT ALL but he actually had tears welling up, especially when we left the house and were met by our neighbours, at this point my tears started again!

The car was amazing and we had the owner of the company driving us, who kept us busy talking about the car and the different weddings it had been to – stopped us both crying and gave us a chance to enjoy the journey.

outside.jpg

me car.jpg

flo2310, Nov 10, 2010
  4. flo2310

flo2310

At the Church

Amazingly we were only 5 mins late! Andrew was expecting it to be at least 15 so I was secretly impressed and a little bit smug! Hehe.

andrew and co.jpg

about to geet married!.jpg

arrived at church.jpg

andrew waiting.jpg

Then the weather took a turn for the worst and just as we were walking into church it started spitting and we heard it getting harder during the service. The service itself was amazing, my MOH (sister) did the reading for one of my other sisters who felt she wouldn’t be able to do it and did so well, although she ended up in tears too and the vicar had to step in to keep her going...! The address was done by my grandmother’s cousin and was really personal and touching – made it extra special.

husband and wife first kiss.jpg

blessing.jpg

When we went to sign the register, the rain really started coming down : ( our photographer had to make a quick decision and told us to do a circuit of the church and we could have group photos done by the alter instead of outside. I was GUTTED! But just had to get on with it... So we left the vestry to walk down the aisle and by the time we got to the back of the church our photographer was pushing us out saying “God’s smiling on you!” I was so confused but as the doors open we saw that the sun had come out! I couldn’t believe it!! It just made my day.

register.jpg walking back.jpg

We left the church courtyard through a storm of bubbles... We didn’t want confetti for three reasons 1) I felt bad on the bride was getting married later to have our confetti on the ground 2) It gets EVERYWHERE 3) a friend told us a story that at her wedding it was raining really hard and the confetti stained her dress!! The bubbles worked so well and everyone joined in, the little rainbows in each bubble look great in the photos.

bubbles.jpg

lytch gate.jpg

Attached Files:

flo2310, Nov 10, 2010
  5. flo2310

poppleminster

Awwwwwwww so glad the sun came out! I love the photos and it all sounds so perfect. Sigh. Really, really happy for you xxxx

poppleminster, Nov 10, 2010
  6. flo2310

MrsLetts2Be

awww you looked amazing! The service looks gorgeous and your dress is stunning xxxxx

MrsLetts2Be, Nov 10, 2010
  7. flo2310

ilovepink1984

Aw, this is really lovely. Glad the rain stopped for you. You look absolutely beautiful and the flowers are gorgeous. Can't wait for the rest xxx

ilovepink1984, Nov 10, 2010
  8. flo2310

MrsBrown

it all sounds so perfect! even the rain sounds perfect!! I am dying to know what happened with the 2 year old on the day? did she do ok walking down the ailse?

MrsBrown, Nov 10, 2010
  9. flo2310

flo2310

I know!! Tell me about it. When Andrew told me I thought he was joking... but no! We were ready to rush somewhere/anywhere to just get two extra cheap rings!!

Ahh I forgot to say that she was a GEM! A super star in fact!! She walked more than happily down the aisle and then sat with her mum and didn't make a sound! Then she was great all day, didn't have a nap and stayed up until pretty late, dancing with me! What a cutie - I'm a very proud Auntie!

Thanks for all the comments ladies - next part is on the way :)

Flo xx

flo2310, Nov 10, 2010
  10. flo2310

flo2310

The reception; Hampton Court Palace

I don’t remember much of the drive to the reception... we were both given a glass of champagne by the driver and Andrew kept spilling his as we went over bumps/turned corners! We arrived at Hampton Court and were driven up to the west front where we were greeted by Henry VIII! We had organised a “Henry” to meet us and then to go and greet the guests and be our toastmaster for the rest of the day. Best idea ever! He was fantastic and remained in character, everyone loved it and had their photos taken with him.

henry and car.jpg

meeting henry.jpg

So we had some photos taken with the car, Henry and the front of the palace. Then we went into the palace with our photographer and Henry went to greet our guests. We spent about 45 minutes walking around the palace and the grounds, having some “arty” shots done and some more natural ones. This is one of my favourites from the collection...

my favourite.jpg

We were again very lucky with the weather, there was a very short and light shower just as we decided to go outside for shots, but we had an umbrella and it past pretty quickly.

The most annoying thing was my veil, I LOVED the veil and it looked lovely against my dress but it kept getting blown around, dragged through puddles and stepped on! So we were constantly moving slightly to the right or slightly to the left to get away from puddles!!

The walk back to the Garden Room was quite long, so we were given a golf buggy to ride in, it was great – we had people waving at us and shouting “congratulations”!!

can you spot us.jpg

rings.jpg

me.jpg

us again.jpg

us and pillars.jpg

golf buggy.jpg

Arriving back at the room I finally got a drink – Winter Pimms! So yummy... but I never got through it due to catching up with people, showing off the ring, having hundreds of photos taken with different groups of people! It was crazy! I managed to try one of the canapés which was delicious, but there was so much going on that I didn’t even feel hungry! “Henry” then announced our receiving line, this was really fun as it mean that I really did talk to every single person, and my friends got to meet my new family. Everyone got on so well and we had so many compliements. Our table plan was homemade and was really simple (although took hours to make!!). The tables were named after our favourite sweets and the favours were little boxes filled with that sweet and also a pin badge of Henry VIII!! People were proudly wearing their Henry badges all night! The food went down extremely well, as did the wine...! Not too much to say about this, only that I don’t think I managed to finish any of my courses (apart from pudding!!).

table decorations.jpg

toptable.jpg

table plan.jpg

table decorations 2.jpg

flo2310, Nov 10, 2010
  11. flo2310

flo2310

The speeches were great, my dad’s was pretty funny and as embarrassing as a dad can be on his daughter’s wedding day! Bringing up old stories from when I was little and getting me mixed up with my sisters (I have three sisters and it’s an ongoing joke that my dad gets birthdays, names and ages muddled up!) but overall it was very good. Andrew’s speech made the majority of guests cry! It was very gushing which is strange as we joke around being sentimental, but to actually hear him say it seriously was a different matter and very over whelming. His bestman, Marcus’s speech was great, funny and not too revealing about Andrew. For the toasts, we had champagne and for the wedding party – me and Andrew, our mums, the bridesmaids, flower girls, ushers and bestman we gave personalised champagne flutes with their name and a drawing of them along with wedding date and venue. It was a nice touch for them and a lovely keepsake to take home and remember the day in the future.

mum glass.jpg

bestman glass.jpg

There was one extra speech for the norm – me! I wouldn’t exactly call it a speech, in fact our “Henry” called it a “special announcement from the bride”... My Granddad was turning 90 three days after the wedding and so we organised a birthday cake for him with a spitfire (he used to fly them in the war) I made up my speech as I went along.. Thanking everyone for coming and then saying a few words about my granddad, and asking people to raise a glass for him and toast his birthday and then sing “Happy Birthday”. It was really important to me to do this for him as he has done so much for my family that I couldn’t not do anything for him!

GD 90th.jpg

After the speeches we cut the cake and then the evening guests arrived. And finally it was time for our first dance. We danced to Bright Eyes, First day of my life. If you don’t know this song, have a listen on youtube. It is a beautiful song with lovely lyrics and is really special to me and Andrew. Our niece decided to join us on the dance floor, which I didn’t mind too much. She then managed to fall over! Bless! I don’t like dancing in front of people – so Andrew and I did a bit of spinning but mainly used the time to actually talk to each other about the day and how much we loved one another.

cutting the cake.jpg

first dance.jpg

first dance spin.jpg

Then the dancing started, the DJ was great and played all the songs we liked, mostly cheesey wedding songs! The dance floor was always busy, until the evening buffet came out – bacon and sausage sandwiches! These went down a treat and were finished off quite spectacularly. People also went made for the sweetie table – we still have a lot of sweets left, but most of the jars were nearly emptied!!

sweetie table set up.jpg

flo2310, Nov 10, 2010
  12. flo2310

flo2310

The evening went too quickly for me... I tried my best to talk to all the evening guests, but it was hard with the music being so loud, but I think I managed quite well! I did a bit of dancing – managed to have a few dances with Andrew, but these got cut short by friends/family wanting photos or dances. Andrew and I had booked our taxi at 11.30 pm and I threw my bouquet at 11.15, one of my bridesmaids caught it!! We left to get to Pennyhill Park Spa and Hotel in Bagshot, an amazing hotel and was a perfect way to relax after all the stress and emotion leading up to the wedding.

Overall the day was better than we could have imagined. People have asked if I would have changed anything/done anything differently, but I say no every time. We had done all the planning ourselves and it was worth it as we knew what was going to happen and there were no unpleasant surprises. All our professionals were just that – professional! They were the best bunch of people to work with and we were really lucky.

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this report (if you got this far!!).

My tips for the day:

Don’t worry if you don’t think you’ve spoken to everyone... it’s likely that that ones you missed you new hubby spoke to and people totally understand how much you have to do on your wedding day and wont expect you to talk to everyone.

Make the most of every second you spend with your new hubby – talk everything though with him, what you’ve enjoyed so far, what made you cry, points that stood out for you, this really helped us remember the day as we could remember the conversations we had and meant we wouldn’t forget the little things!

Enjoy your “photo shoot” as new husband and wife, the photos are the memories that last a lifetime and trust your photographer to get the best out of you. We felt really silly doing some of the poses but they have come out SO well!

Someone said to me after the wedding that in essence you are paying for your memories, so make sure you plan and design the day how YOU want it, they are your memories and should be the best ones of your life. Little things for us – such as my mum didn’t think we should have chair covers, but we went for them and even she admitted it looked better – meant that we would enjoy the day to the max.

Budgets can be tight, make the most of your money – I had a spreadsheet that I followed and made sure that any money we saved in one area was utilised to the max in other areas.

All the “little things” we all stress about before the day do really make a difference on the day and it’s those little things that people notice and mention to you.

And most of all – make sure you get some food, drink and ENJOY YOURSELF!!

Good luck fellow brides! Enjoy the planning and I'm looking forward to reading all your reports in the future,

Flo xxx :)

flo2310, Nov 10, 2010
  13. flo2310

MrsMay2011

Hooray, another wedding report!! You've got some really gorgeous photos there, that one with your veil flowing behind you is +absolutely* stunning, you look soooo beautiful in all the photos, you must be made up. Love your flowers too :)

MrsMay2011, Nov 10, 2010
  14. flo2310

Becky

What a fantastic report! I really enjoyed reading that, thank you so much! The tips were a great idea too :)

You look incredible - I adore that photo of you and your new husband having your first kiss! :D

Your flowers look gorgeous too! What is the name of the dark purple one in your bouquet - is it a type of rose?

Becky, Nov 10, 2010
  15. flo2310

flo2310

Thank you - that one is my favourite. It started as a natural thing to lift my veil up as it was driving me mad! And when it got caught in the wind, our photographer saw an opportunity and went with it! So another tip - Trust your photographer!!!

Thanks :) the flowers are calla lillies, this gives a better view...
    my flowers again.jpg

x

flo2310, Nov 10, 2010
  16. flo2310

flo2310

Oh hang on Becky - just looked at my flowers again and I think you knew those were calla lillies but was asking about the other flower...? That is lisianthus - you can get single or double headed (think it in the difference is size)...

flo2310, Nov 10, 2010
  17. flo2310

Mrs T2B (Kel)

wow! what a lovely report, fabulous pictures an an amazing day! :)

Mrs T2B (Kel), Nov 10, 2010
  18. flo2310

Becky

Yep that was the one that I meant - thanks! I've seen pictures of lisianthus before, but only on their own - for some reason I thought the flower was a lot smaller, so it's nice to finally know it's size relative to other flowers! :)

Becky, Nov 11, 2010
  19. flo2310

Helen

Gorgeous dress, lovely pics and fab report! Thank you for sharing it with us :) I love the colours of your flowers, so pretty :D

Helen, Nov 11, 2010
  20. flo2310

muckypaws

Aw flo .... I filled up a few times reading that ... Sounds like you had a fab day . Congrats sweetheart and thanks for your fantastic and emotive report :D I'm filling up again

muckypaws, Nov 13, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question