11Th May 2013 - Our Wedding Day

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by lauriex, Jun 24, 2011.

1. lauriex

lauriex

This is a very special date to me.

My maternal grandmother was the best person that I knew. Unfortunately, she passed away almost 8yrs ago. I feel blessed to have known her and had her as my nan. Her name was Violet, she meant the world to me. Our wedding day date would have been her birthday :D

lauriex, Jun 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. lauriex

MrsBoucher2B2012

aww that is so very sweet.
    My nan also meant the world to me, i will be having a silver locket tied around my bouquet with a two pictures in one of my dad who sadly passed away when i was little and one of my nan.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Jun 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. lauriex

Becky

It's lovely that you have picked a date that will be special to you for two reasons :D and May is a lovely time of year to get married (I got hitched on 7th May this year!)

Becky, Jun 24, 2011
  4. lauriex

alfamillie

Hi Laura, welcome to the forum!
    Lucky you having nearly 2 more years to plan and that's a lovely thing you have done to remember your grandmother :D
    I like Mrs Boucher's locket idea - very special.
    x

alfamillie, Jun 24, 2011
  5. lauriex

MrsC2Be

That's a lovely way to remember her, it'll help make your memories that bit more special too :D

MrsC2Be, Jun 24, 2011
  6. lauriex

ElmoGrace

I picked my maternal Grandmas birthday too. She was the only grandparent I ever knew so it made sense to include her in some way! Nice to hear of others doing the same!
    Are you planning to include family and people who are greatly missed in other ways?

ElmoGrace, Jun 24, 2011
  7. lauriex

poppleminster

What an awesome day to pick. You'll really have a wonderful day and create amazing memories that will be that little bit more special because of the association with the date :D

poppleminster, Jun 24, 2011
  8. lauriex

lauriex

Hiya ElmoGrace :D

I also plan to have my maternal grandfather included in some way too. Although I was only 1 when he died, I have heard so many wonderful stories about him over the years that I feel like I really did get to know him.

My fiancé Neil will be wearing my Granddad's pocket watch on our Wedding Day :)

lauriex, Jun 24, 2011
  9. lauriex

lauriex

That is such a beautiful idea, I would like to have some other way of keeping them close on our day too. Not sure what yet though! :D

lauriex, Jun 24, 2011
  10. lauriex

lauriex

Hi alfamillie :D

MrsBoucher2Be's idea is fabulous!

My mum was really chuffed when we told her what day we had chosen to get married on. It was strange the way it happened because we just so happened to get wind of a bridal open day at Belfast Castle and thought we'd go up for a look about. We fell in love with it instantly! We knew it was right for us. It is situated on the side of a mountain and overlooks Belfast and Belfast Lough, you can see the very road and house that my Nan was born in! The day we went up the weather was miserable, wet and cold. But, after we had a look about and decided to book, we agreed 11th May with the host at the Castle and paid our deposit. We collected our brochures and left. Once outside the weather had completely changed, it was like a summer's day (bearing in mind we booked back in January!) it gave me a warm, comforted feeling - like my Nan was watching over me, sounds silly I know, but I knew it was just right x

lauriex, Jun 24, 2011
  11. lauriex

lauriex

congrats on getting married this year Becky!!

May is usually lovely, its a lovely time for vibrant flowers and colours. For that reason we have chosen cerise pink for our theme :)

lauriex, Jun 24, 2011
  12. lauriex

ElmoGrace

That is a nice way to include your grandfather as well. I am trying to find ways to include people without it being, pardon the expression, morbid.

ElmoGrace, Jun 25, 2011
  13. lauriex

lauriex

I know what you mean. It can be difficult, I am only really including my maternal grandparents. We've just included subtle little things - the wedding date and pocket watch, the only people who know the deal with the pocket watch are my parents, Neil (obv!) Neil's parents and my brother that's about it. Only these people need to know, its even more special then :)

How about including a flower that was a favourite of a passed relative, or a favourite colour in your theme - if you've not chosen it already of course. Discreet I think is best :lol: are you planning on including many?

lauriex, Jun 25, 2011
  14. lauriex

CuriousWedding

If you are having fresh flowers in your wedding how about getting a friend or relative to place them on your loved ones grave or a place they loved. My mum split my bouquet and placed a rose on each of my lost one's graves the day after the wedding. It was a nice way of knowing that, in a small way, they had been included in our special day.

CuriousWedding, Jan 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question