Giving Notice Of Marriage

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Becky

Becky
  • Administrators
  • 2849 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

So have any of you given notice of marriage yet?? I had no idea we had to do this until we had a letter about it. We had to go to our local registry office, where were were separately asked some questions about each other and our wedding... It was all fairly straight forward, but some of the questions were mad - "is he your brother, father, cousin, uncle or grandfather?" erm, no!! Posted Image

And to top it all off, they charge you £33 for the privilege - EACH!

#2 MrsBrown

MrsBrown
  • Members
  • 1434 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

We did ours a while ago, it was strange! A friend had warned me that when she gave notice they took them in seperate rooms so they couldnt hear each other answers and asked her questions like whats his fathers name (as if on Mr and Mrs!!). We had a little practice ha ha Luckily we stayed together and they just asked us questions together. It was a bit nerve wracking wondering if anyone would object he he!!!

#3 bridetobe200910

bridetobe200910
  • Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

We did ours a while ago, it was strange! A friend had warned me that when she gave notice they took them in seperate rooms so they couldnt hear each other answers and asked her questions like whats his fathers name (as if on Mr and Mrs!!). We had a little practice ha ha Luckily we stayed together and they just asked us questions together. It was a bit nerve wracking wondering if anyone would object he he!!!

We did ours last Friday and I was so nervous even though I knew everything would be in order. The guy was so serious and we were interviewed separately but the odd thing was he took the payment before even interviewing my H2B.
And yes more money on top of the money they charge for the ceremony!
I am looking forward to collecting the certificate in a few weeks time. Another job sorted!
Posted Image
[/url]

#4 Becky

Becky
  • Administrators
  • 2849 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

Apparently it's a relatively new thing - the aim is to prevent things like sham marriages to get UK passports etc. Meanwhile the rest of us suffer! Posted Image

#5 WelshBride

WelshBride
  • Members
  • 192 posts
  • LocationNeath, South Wales

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

We didnt have to go in seperate rooms either, and the super indendant knows h2bs family so we got off with him not having the correct ID as well Posted Image See it does pay to know people lol! We had to pay £30 each and got another £130 to pay next mth now

Posted Image
[Posted Image

My Candy Buffet facebook page http://www.facebook....67669056?v=wall

#6 Mrsg2b2011

Mrsg2b2011
  • Members
  • 1115 posts
  • LocationSawbridgeworth

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

We picked up our certificates (you get one each) on Friday last week & have had to post it onto our venue. It is printed on blue paper.
We were interviewed together & it was rather relaxed thought it would be more daunting then it actually was. Only thing we are disappointed with is that it is laid out as it will on the marriage cert & as we have both been married before it states 'previous marriage dissolved' now I know we have both been married before but we both wish we could forget about them. I was 18 & pushed into mine by ex who yes wanted a visa I was very niave & thought he loved me, so yes this is why its bought in the interview procedure to protect idiots like me! Posted Image anyway wish I could forget about it & is a shame that it will be a permanent mark on our certificate but hey getting married for the right reasons now! xxx

Posted Image

#7 vhc

vhc
  • Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationSittingbourne

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

we were quite lucky in this: we had to apply for Banns, being a church wedding, but because we're both long-standing church members (he's been the organist for years and joined the choir 40 years ago! (as a boy...) and i've been in the choir 8 years), we didn't even have to show ID. in fact, being choir, we've attended millions of weddings, so the wedding clerk had no questions to ask us! (she normally asks if you've though of what kind of service, any hymns, readings, do you want organ, bells, choir etc and normally she explains what happens, as well as the usual legal stuff). still have to pay the full fee though! Posted Image

#8 ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984
  • Members
  • 583 posts
  • LocationWitney, Oxfordshire

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Mine is so complicated! We are getting married in a private school chapel with no fixed congregation and its only used once a week for school assembly. My H2B is a teacher there. The vicar is lovely but retired so only works there once a week. No organist or bell ringer, choir etc. We have to apply for a Special Licence from the Archbishop of Canterbury which is £140. No guarantee he will issue one although the chapel has been used on other occassions for weddings, but can't apply until end of August to get married 22nd October. EEk Posted Image. We then have to get permission from a local church, which apparently is in the same parish, to use their records for our marriage certificate. Not sure whether we have to pay any other church fees or not - could be a large hidden cost there!! Also have to organise our own organist and choir if we want one. As its a school from 3-18 we are hoping we can ask the 6th form choir to sing and hopefully the music teacher will play the organ! I'm also trying to persuade H2B to get a good musician to play something whilst we sign the registrar!

Also, the vicar is proving elusive to get hold off and still haven't met with him properly to discuss times, hymns, readings etc!! Argh!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 vhc

vhc
  • Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationSittingbourne

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

i quite like that idea; if a little complicated!

I bet the scholars will have no problem playing and singing for you: if it's a real organ in the chapel, then there are probably boys who are learning to play and would play for you.

#10 juliak

juliak
  • Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

My h2b and I gave notice the week before last at our local registry office, paid £33.50 each and paid for the room which was £45.00. Initially it was a bit daunting as I really wasn't sure what they would be asking but it was just to check that we weren't already married to other people,show ID (valid passport, original birth certificate and a utility bill), to check that we weren't related etc. We've since decided that the room we chose is going to be a bit small and that 10.30am might be a bit early, so I rang and enquired as to whether we could use the bigger room on the same day at a later time and was told that we would have to give notice again (and pay again) to be able to do this. I found this really strange as it's on the same date, in the same building, I was also told that we can change the date of the wedding with no problem, just not the room! Any ideas anyone?

#11 Becky

Becky
  • Administrators
  • 2849 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

We've since decided that the room we chose is going to be a bit small and that 10.30am might be a bit early, so I rang and enquired as to whether we could use the bigger room on the same day at a later time and was told that we would have to give notice again (and pay again) to be able to do this. I found this really strange as it's on the same date, in the same building, I was also told that we can change the date of the wedding with no problem, just not the room! Any ideas anyone?

We were told that you can change the date if you need to (as long as it is within the allowed time limit) but not the venue - seems odd that they are classifying a different room in the same building as a different venue! Have you tried pointing this out to them?

#12 MrsApplen2be

MrsApplen2be
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSwansea South Wales

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

I did my giving notice in the same venue as welsh bride and I was taken seperately so does pay to know people. I thought I paid £50 too but I may be wrong im known for being a bit drippy lol. x

#13 juliak

juliak
  • Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

We were told that you can change the date if you need to (as long as it is within the allowed time limit) but not the venue - seems odd that they are classifying a different room in the same building as a different venue! Have you tried pointing this out to them?

That's what confused me! I will ring them again tomorrow and see if I can get it sorted out, I'll let you know how I get on.

#14 Bunny

Bunny
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

What on earth is a notice of marriage? How do you go about doing it? And £33 is ridiculous!!!! It's none of the state's business whether I wanna get married or not and to whom!

#15 MrsBrown

MrsBrown
  • Members
  • 1434 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

bunny, I am affraid it is a legal requirement (they will get money out of us some how) How you do it and where depends on your venue (i.e church/ civil ceremony) but they should advise you and tell you what you need to do. They display your intention to marry for 15 days or if in church they read it out so many times.

http://www.direct.go...ships/DG_175717 might help you or I am sure there are other sites

I think that if you are marrying away from where you live, you have to to register at home and take it to where you are marrying (though you better check!) Not sure what you do if you are marrying abroad.

Hope that helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users