Giving Notice Of Marriage

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by Becky, May 11, 2010.

1. Becky

Becky Administrator

Media:
    Albums:
    So have any of you given notice of marriage yet?? I had no idea we had to do this until we had a letter about it. We had to go to our local registry office, where were were separately asked some questions about each other and our wedding... It was all fairly straight forward, but some of the questions were mad - "is he your brother, father, cousin, uncle or grandfather?" erm, no!! [​IMG]

And to top it all off, they charge you £33 for the privilege - EACH!

Becky, May 11, 2010
  2. Becky

MrsBrown

We did ours a while ago, it was strange! A friend had warned me that when she gave notice they took them in seperate rooms so they couldnt hear each other answers and asked her questions like whats his fathers name (as if on Mr and Mrs!!). We had a little practice ha ha Luckily we stayed together and they just asked us questions together. It was a bit nerve wracking wondering if anyone would object he he!!!

MrsBrown, May 11, 2010
  3. Becky

bridetobe200910

We did ours last Friday and I was so nervous even though I knew everything would be in order. The guy was so serious and we were interviewed separately but the odd thing was he took the payment before even interviewing my H2B.
    And yes more money on top of the money they charge for the ceremony!
    I am looking forward to collecting the certificate in a few weeks time. Another job sorted!

bridetobe200910, May 11, 2010
  4. Becky

Becky Administrator

Media:
    Albums:
    Apparently it's a relatively new thing - the aim is to prevent things like sham marriages to get UK passports etc. Meanwhile the rest of us suffer! [​IMG]

Becky, May 11, 2010
  5. Becky

WelshBride

We didnt have to go in seperate rooms either, and the super indendant knows h2bs family so we got off with him not having the correct ID as well [​IMG] See it does pay to know people lol! We had to pay £30 each and got another £130 to pay next mth now

WelshBride, May 11, 2010
  6. Becky

Mrsg2b2011

We picked up our certificates (you get one each) on Friday last week & have had to post it onto our venue. It is printed on blue paper.
    We were interviewed together & it was rather relaxed thought it would be more daunting then it actually was. Only thing we are disappointed with is that it is laid out as it will on the marriage cert & as we have both been married before it states 'previous marriage dissolved' now I know we have both been married before but we both wish we could forget about them. I was 18 & pushed into mine by ex who yes wanted a visa I was very niave & thought he loved me, so yes this is why its bought in the interview procedure to protect idiots like me! [​IMG] anyway wish I could forget about it & is a shame that it will be a permanent mark on our certificate but hey getting married for the right reasons now! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, May 11, 2010
  7. Becky

vhc

we were quite lucky in this: we had to apply for Banns, being a church wedding, but because we're both long-standing church members (he's been the organist for years and joined the choir 40 years ago! (as a boy...) and i've been in the choir 8 years), we didn't even have to show ID. in fact, being choir, we've attended millions of weddings, so the wedding clerk had no questions to ask us! (she normally asks if you've though of what kind of service, any hymns, readings, do you want organ, bells, choir etc and normally she explains what happens, as well as the usual legal stuff). still have to pay the full fee though! [​IMG]

vhc, May 12, 2010
  8. Becky

ilovepink1984

Mine is so complicated! We are getting married in a private school chapel with no fixed congregation and its only used once a week for school assembly. My H2B is a teacher there. The vicar is lovely but retired so only works there once a week. No organist or bell ringer, choir etc. We have to apply for a Special Licence from the Archbishop of Canterbury which is £140. No guarantee he will issue one although the chapel has been used on other occassions for weddings, but can't apply until end of August to get married 22nd October. EEk [​IMG]. We then have to get permission from a local church, which apparently is in the same parish, to use their records for our marriage certificate. Not sure whether we have to pay any other church fees or not - could be a large hidden cost there!! Also have to organise our own organist and choir if we want one. As its a school from 3-18 we are hoping we can ask the 6th form choir to sing and hopefully the music teacher will play the organ! I'm also trying to persuade H2B to get a good musician to play something whilst we sign the registrar!

Also, the vicar is proving elusive to get hold off and still haven't met with him properly to discuss times, hymns, readings etc!! Argh!

ilovepink1984, May 12, 2010
  9. Becky

vhc

i quite like that idea; if a little complicated!

I bet the scholars will have no problem playing and singing for you: if it's a real organ in the chapel, then there are probably boys who are learning to play and would play for you.

vhc, May 12, 2010
  10. Becky

juliak

Media:
    Albums:
    My h2b and I gave notice the week before last at our local registry office, paid £33.50 each and paid for the room which was £45.00. Initially it was a bit daunting as I really wasn't sure what they would be asking but it was just to check that we weren't already married to other people,show ID (valid passport, original birth certificate and a utility bill), to check that we weren't related etc. We've since decided that the room we chose is going to be a bit small and that 10.30am might be a bit early, so I rang and enquired as to whether we could use the bigger room on the same day at a later time and was told that we would have to give notice again (and pay again) to be able to do this. I found this really strange as it's on the same date, in the same building, I was also told that we can change the date of the wedding with no problem, just not the room! Any ideas anyone?

juliak, May 12, 2010
  11. Becky

Becky Administrator

Media:
    Albums:

We were told that you can change the date if you need to (as long as it is within the allowed time limit) but not the venue - seems odd that they are classifying a different room in the same building as a different venue! Have you tried pointing this out to them?

Becky, May 12, 2010
  12. Becky

MrsApplen2be

I did my giving notice in the same venue as welsh bride and I was taken seperately so does pay to know people. I thought I paid £50 too but I may be wrong im known for being a bit drippy lol. x

MrsApplen2be, May 12, 2010
  13. Becky

juliak

Media:
    Albums:

That's what confused me! I will ring them again tomorrow and see if I can get it sorted out, I'll let you know how I get on.

juliak, May 12, 2010
  14. Becky

Bunny

What on earth is a notice of marriage? How do you go about doing it? And £33 is ridiculous!!!! It's none of the state's business whether I wanna get married or not and to whom!

Bunny, May 13, 2010
  15. Becky

MrsBrown

bunny, I am affraid it is a legal requirement (they will get money out of us some how) How you do it and where depends on your venue (i.e church/ civil ceremony) but they should advise you and tell you what you need to do. They display your intention to marry for 15 days or if in church they read it out so many times.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Marriagesandcivilpartnerships/DG_175717 might help you or I am sure there are other sites

I think that if you are marrying away from where you live, you have to to register at home and take it to where you are marrying (though you better check!) Not sure what you do if you are marrying abroad.

Hope that helps

MrsBrown, May 13, 2010
  16. Becky

Mrsg2b2011

A notice of marriage is where you go to the registrar & give all your details & it is publicaly displayed for 15 days so if any one wants to object they can but it has to be a reasonable objection not just a jilted ex! lol. Its just to check neither of you are commiting bigamy or perjury. However yes it is a load of crap as ours is now all 1 district so we gave notice in Hertford & it is displayed in Hatfield which is about 10ish miles away, where if anyone were to check they wouldn't know either me or h2b anyway!?! It is very old fashioned & needs to be updated can't believe how much it costs aswell, EACH! It is exactly the same as having your banns read in a church. Can't understand why in this day & age it is not all on one central database & the registrar who is going to perform the ceremony can check whether you have been married before & just interview you to check its all legit & be free! I know they check a central database in Scotland so why can't we here? Any way getting off my soap box now lol [​IMG] xxx

Juliak I believe the room in which you get married in is placed on the marriage certificate. The notice of marriage is laid out exactly the same as the marriage certificate so this is why they have to chanbe but it is an absolute disgrace that you will be charged as a change of venue though, it is the same building after all! Good luck with speaking to them let us know how you get on xxx

Mrsg2b2011, May 13, 2010
  17. Becky

Allen2b

Hi Everyone,

When we gave notice for our marriage we were taking into separate rooms and asked all the usual questions...

When the registrar asked H2B if we were related (he said no obviously!), he asked if anyone ever says yes to that question.. aparrently it happens surprisingly often!:)

Made me chuckle lol x

Allen2b, May 20, 2010
  18. Becky

Mrs T2B (Kel)

yes it was surreal thing giving notice.. when I was being asked questions I was struggling not to giggle... I don't know if I was finding what was being asked particularly funny or was just all excited from being there.

We paid £33.50 each, and then have another £287.50 [​IMG] to pay for the registrar to attend our venue etc which is only about 5 miles from the registry office.

Our notice has been given and everything was ok, but we've not received any certificate or letter to say it's all going ahead.
    I know we don't get the actually marriage certificate until we're married, but are we supposed to get a confirmation?

We, or at least I, have to go back this week to take in the music, reading selections etc and pay off the final amount.

Is anybody getting 2 marriage certificates?

Mrs T2B (Kel), May 31, 2010
  19. Becky

Becky Administrator

Media:
    Albums:
    We have got to pick up certificates saying that we can get married - I think they are available 14 days after you give notice. Might be worth calling the registry office to check - I'm sure ours said that you can't get married without the certificates!

Becky, May 31, 2010
  20. Becky

MrsBrown

We havent had to pick up certificates because we are getting married in the same area as we registered, I think you need to pick up the certificates and take them to the area/ register office where you are getting married if the two are different. Hope thats the case anyway!! We have to meet with the registrar about 6 weeks before anyway so I am sure they will tell us if we need to do something else!

MrsBrown, May 31, 2010